4/23 6:40 Rockies @ Tigers Game #2

Tigeraholic1

Yeah, you really don’t want any Castros up in a situation like that. They both press when they’re in that situation because they want desperately to be the hero and prove their worth, so they end up hacking and hoping. It’s rarely going to end well when it’s like that.

But at least they didn’t roll over 1-2-3 in the ninth. There’s still some fight in this gimpy team. That’s all Hinch, I believe. 

I love DD and all, but I can think of better guys in that situation than Harold Castro lol

Overall, I would be more mad, but they had multiple opportunities to put numbers on the board earlier that didn't get cashed in. Cash just one of those in, maybe the game turns out differently.

Kudos to the pitching for giving them a chance at the end

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

yep, the bullpen seemed especially solid. all day, the Rockies scored 3 runs on Brieske, and that was it.

I will say that this is at least the second time this season that the Tigers have lost a game only giving up 3 hits.

Unless there is a boatload of walks, that hurts.

2 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Matt Shepard and Craig Monroe make me miss Mario and Rod. Monroe makes Rod Allen sound like Paul Carey. The Tigers TV booth is an embarrassment. 

I feel bad for you folks who don’t have the choice to have a Dan-and-Jim radio overlay on the video like we out-of-towners do.

It seems like they’ve really ramped up the in-booth and in-stands interviews with non-baseball randos this year. How many innings did they spend with Matt Stafford? Two, maybe? And who was the one kid they were talking to in the fourth inning? Some high school football guy or something? There were several other instances of that as well—every time I looked up it was the guy in the stands sticking his microphone in yet another who-knows-who-that-is’s face. And the camera lingers on these interviews more than on what’s happening on the field. I mean, it’s almost as though the baseball game is secondary to the whole broadcast. If I weren’t able to hear Dan and Jim talking about the game itself over these inexplicable video choices, I’d definitely be tuning into the opposing team’s telecast, just to avoid all the nonsense.

The Tigers have a clear claim to being the 30th-best baseball telecast in the majors. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

yep, the bullpen seemed especially solid. all day, the Rockies scored 3 runs on Brieske, and that was it.

And all on just the two homers. The bats must be able to overcome giving up three runs.

We may be in a new Year of the Pitcher, though. Average scoring is under 4 runs per teams for the first time since 1972, and they adopted the DH rule in the AL after in response to that. It’s all because the natural response to two decades of Chicks Dig The Long Ball: pitchers used technology to supercharge their arsenals to maximize swing and miss, and defenses shifted to turn the mistake of not pulling homers over their heads in to outs that used to be hits.

Deaden the ball so that all nine guys are no longer a home run threat, and this can all be fixed. It might be painful for a couple of years as pitchers and defenses adjust, but it would get fixed.

6 minutes ago, kdog said:

Unless something changes, Javy Baez will be activated tomorrow. That should hopefully lessen the amount of playing time for the Castros. Willi will go down if Javy is ready.

It will also move Schoop/Candy down the order as well.

Just wish he'd consider putting them behind Tork at the moment. It stands to reason that would benefit the team at the moment