4/30 10:10 Tigers @ Dodgers

Tigeraholic1

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Beau was locating his fastball/chageup much better that inning.

I love how he busted Bellinger up in the zone. Just a good ol’ country fastball. Striking out a recent MVP like that can be a wake-up moment for a brand new big leaguer: “Hey, I can hang with these guys.”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

No, I don’t know. I don’t have an advanced physics education. What would be the difference?

if the speed is measured in the direction of travel, which I think it probably is, and say the ball is hit at a 20deg launch angle, then its forward velo is its absolute velo times the cos of 20 deg, (about 0.94). So for the sake of a hypothetical, if the the batter hits it on a rope line at 100ft/sec (88mph) to first and the 1b is exactly ten feet behind the bag (100 ft away), it gets there in exactly 1 sec. But the same ball hit at a 20deg launch angle passes over his head in ~1.06 seconds. 

Of course for a ball hit on the ground the bounce makes all the difference and that has all kinds of factors like spin and dirt vs grass and how much rain recently etc, so probably more complex than worth worrying about!

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

if the speed is measured in the direction of travel, which I think it probably is, and say the ball is hit at a 20deg launch angle, then its forward velo is its absolute velo times the cos of 20 deg, (about 0.94). So for the sake of a hypothetical, if the the batter hits it on a rope line at 100ft/sec (88mph) to first and the 1b is exactly ten feet behind the bag (100 ft away), it gets there in exactly 1 sec. But the same ball hit at a 20deg launch angle passes over his head in ~1.06 seconds. 

Of course for a ball hit on the ground the bounce makes all the difference and that has all kinds of factors like spin and dirt vs grass and how much rain recently etc, so probably more complex than worth worrying about!

I’m not sure where the number comes from. I had assumed that it was the speed within a few feet off the bat, but I don’t know. It really doesn’t matter, because it’s all relative to how the fielders field it, anyway.

I didn’t see anything wrong with how the Tigers played it. Schoop fielded it clean and there was no hitch or delay from Javy in turning it, and TORK! scooped it cleanly. So I don’t see what we did to cause it. That’s why I thought it was just hit too slowly, especially to get a guy who sprints at the 44th percentile.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m not sure where the number comes from. I had assumed that it was the speed within a few feet off the bat, but I don’t know. It really doesn’t matter, because it’s all relative to how the fielders field it, anyway.

I didn’t see anything wrong with how the Tigers played it. Schoop fielded it clean and there was no hitch or delay from Javy in turning it, and TORK! scooped it cleanly. So I don’t see what we did to cause it. That’s why I thought it was just hit too slowly, especially to get a guy who sprints at the 44th percentile.

agree they could not have turned it the way they were set up unless the runner had been a lot slower. I was just a little surprised, mostly because Muncy did get down there pretty well and made it not even close.

Edited by gehringer_2