4/30 10:10 Tigers @ Dodgers

Tigeraholic1

Even though we're not a whole lot better than where we were at last year in terms of record I think we are playing a lot better than this point last year, basically outside of some dumb errors are main problem has just been the cold bats. The bullpen has been one of the best in baseball in terms of run prevention and the rotation has been solid enough considering E-Rod hasn't been that good and essentially no Mize.  Last year at this time all facets of the team was terrible

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Tucker Barnhardt as a LH batter in that last AB looked competent. 

Barhhart has actually pulled his hitting back to career norms, now he just needs to get some decent throws under his belt. They would be sooo lost without Meadows and Baez. (and Cabrera should not be hitting between them)

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Barhhart has actually pulled his hitting back to career norms, now he just needs to get some decent throws under his belt. They would be sooo lost without Meadows and Baez. (and Cabrera should not be hitting between them)

Tork has cooled off some, but I almost feel Cabrera would be best back at 5th in the lineup, behind Tork.

I have to eat crow on Barnhart tho... he's looked a lot better over the past week or so of games. The throws will come I'm sure.

Edited by mtutiger

I still can't believe Brieske pulled that off in his second start against that lineup in that environment.

He's talented, and while he had some luck in that outing and didn't generate a lot of swing and miss, that's still an incredibly tall task for a rookie to take on and he was never phased. 

He still needs work, but in terms of the mental side of the game, he seems like the real deal.

Edited by mtutiger

7 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Credit to the LA Broadcast for using the original jersey Old English D....

Semi-related to this, I tried this new hack and despite the additional moving parts, it worked out really well.

I typically watch the Tigers broadcast through MLB app on Apple TV so I can implement the audio overlay. I simply cannot bear it hear Shep and rotating cast of grizzled old players for even a single second if I can avoid it.

The issue for me is, I also dislike the Tigers video, or more exactly, Bally RSN’s video. They take up a ton of real estate at the bottom with not only the score box, but the 24/7 crawl underneath it, which features a distressingly high percentage of non-baseball and even promotional items. TBF, this is true for a lot of Tiger opponents, too (e.g., Guardians, Twins, Royals, etc.)

But now that I’ve discovered how to easily implement the Bluetooth mode on my TV’s soundbar, I’ve figured out an effective way to overlay Tiger audio over the opponent’s video when we play a team with a cleaner screen, like the Dodgers. SNLA shows only a score box in the lower right corner and a logo in the upper right, with a crawl only maybe once an hour for a couple of minutes. The rest of the screen is clear of such obstructions.

What I do is, I put the Dodger’s video on the TV, call up Dan Dickerson on my MLB app on my phone, and cast the audio to the soundbar’s BT mode. From that point, it’s only a matter of pausing the one source to let the other catch up to it, and voila: Dickerson and Petry calling the game over a clean opponent’s video.

It worked great last night except for the one inning where the video was delayed and not matching up to the audio, and then I had to change it back with the next inning. I assume the Dodgers TV director paused the telecast a few seconds to allow some promotional spot to finish, then made the telecast “live” again for the next inning.

But yeah, once I got there, it was like a dream telecast. No more annoying constant live crawls; in fact, no more big chunk of real estate given over to junk at the bottom of the screen leading to a compressed picture above it. It was great.

And bonus: there were none of the constant cutaways to the booth or to the stands for any of those distracting interviews the Tigers telecasters like to do, I guess to take the pressure off Shep and Whoever having to pay too close attention to the game, which, I don’t know, maybe hurts their heads or something. The Dodgers TV people don’t go in for that nonsense.

Gonna do it again today!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 1776 said:

Give Jackie Robinson his due but a Willie Mays anniversary lands on this day . 
On this day, April 30, 1961, in game number 16, Mays hit four home runs against Milwaukee at Milwaukee’s County Stadium. He became the ninth player in big league history to hit four home runs in one game while driving in eight runs in the process.

I was trying to find a meme talking about Stafford and Kershaw played in the same little league crap. This popped up and I was like ok.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Semi-related to this, I tried this new hack and despite the additional moving parts, it worked out really well.

I typically watch the Tigers broadcast through MLB app on Apple TV so I can implement the audio overlay. I simply cannot bear it hear Shep and rotating cast of grizzled old players for even a single second if I can avoid it.

The issue for me is, I also dislike the Tigers video, or more exactly, Bally RSN’s video. They take up a ton of real estate at the bottom with not only the score box, but the 24/7 crawl underneath it, which features a distressingly high percentage of non-baseball and even promotional items. TBF, this is true for a lot of Tiger opponents, too (e.g., Guardians, Twins, Royals, etc.)

But now that I’ve discovered how to easily implement the Bluetooth mode on my TV’s soundbar, I’ve figured out an effective way to overlay Tiger audio over the opponent’s video when we play a team with a cleaner screen, like the Dodgers. SNLA shows only a score box in the lower right corner and a logo in the upper right, with a crawl only maybe once an hour for a couple of minutes. The rest of the screen is clear of such obstructions.

What I do is, I put the Dodger’s video on the TV, call up Dan Dickerson on my MLB app on my phone, and cast the audio to the soundbar’s BT mode. From that point, it’s only a matter of pausing the one source to let the other catch up to it, and voila: Dickerson and Petry calling the game over a clean opponent’s video.

It worked great last night except for the one inning where the video was delayed and not matching up to the audio, and then I had to change it back with the next inning. I assume the Dodgers TV director paused the telecast a few seconds to allow some promotional spot to finish, then made the telecast “live” again for the next inning.

But yeah, once I got there, it was like a dream telecast. No more annoying constant live crawls; in fact, no more big chunk of real estate given over to junk at the bottom of the screen leading to a compressed picture above it. It was great.

And bonus: there were none of the constant cutaways to the booth or to the stands for any of those distracting interviews the Tigers telecasters like to do, I guess to take the pressure off Shep and Whoever having to pay too close attention to the game, which, I don’t know, maybe hurts their heads or something. The Dodgers TV people don’t go in for that nonsense.

Gonna do it again today!

I was shocked to see that the Dodger's broadcast was offered in 4K on directv.  I didn't watch that because I generally time shift the Bally broadcast for the Detroit focus.  I do wish we had more focus on delivery of quality images like that rather than further compulsory gambling information. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I was shocked to see that the Dodger's broadcast was offered in 4K on directv.  I didn't watch that because I generally time shift the Bally broadcast for the Detroit focus.  I do wish we had more focus on delivery of quality images like that rather than further compulsory gambling information. 

I've been watching more non-Tiger games this year and it's been shocking (appalling) how poor the Bally sports interface and images are compared to other presenters.

All of them, RootSports/ATT Sportsnet, NBCSN, SNLA, SNY, even MASN, all of them seem to have better production quality than a Bally broadcast. The scorebug is a big part of that, although maybe not all of it. 

8 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

We need to see more games and effort like this 5-1 victory. Tonight; our beloved Tigers played with a sense of urgency. Well done.👍👍

Hinch wouldn't let them pee before the game and not until they scored a run.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Gonna do it again today!

Have you considered a career with NASA?

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

Good win...now take the series today and salvage the road trip.  And Brieske is already better than a healthy Mize, change my mind.

I would like to see Brieske get a few more starts but I like what we've seen so far.  He just needs to stop with the lead off HR.  The way things go for the Tigers he will probably need TJ surgery in the next two or three weeks or he will step in a hole and blow a knee out.

44 minutes ago, Archie said:

I would like to see Brieske get a few more starts but I like what we've seen so far.  He just needs to stop with the lead off HR.  The way things go for the Tigers he will probably need TJ surgery in the next two or three weeks or he will step in a hole and blow a knee out.

Good pitchers have a tendency to get hit early then settle in. Avoid the big inning good things might happen.

• Like 1