All Hype, no Haymaker

15 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

It's plausible that we over-achieved during the second half of last year

It's very plausible and it's the main reason for those 75-win projections being made before the season.  They are playing very poorly now, but they were not going to win anyway unless most of their young players had break out seasons at the same time, which is unreasonable.  

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with what Hinch said and I don't think it means he is unhappy in Detroit, but I do think it was atypical for a manager to talk that way.  

That's fair, but I don't know that other manager's have had a career arc like his though.

Most managers who head somewhere else to manage get to that other place through being fired or not having their contract renewed for performance reasons at their last job. Hinch, OTOH, was fired for his place in the scandal and there's zero doubt that had the scandal not happened, he'd still be managing there and, for all we know, would have been there until retirement (similar to Bobby Cox). And that didn't happen. I imagine it's a source of regret and shame for him, so it's not surprising that he may be wistful of different times when he goes back to Houston.

Put another way, the guy lost his dream job, and one he'll never be able to get back. It may not happen like that in baseball often, but it's not that uncommon a story in everyday life. But that doesn't mean he isn't fully invested in the job he currently has.... and to date, comments included, he's never indicated that he's not invested here.

Edited by mtutiger

Maybe if you had players that realized that April games actually count, it would help.   At least Candelario seems to be waking up.  Schoop needs to something in the next two weeks or they might as well just cut him and give another player a chance because he is a black hole.   When does Reyes get back?  Baddoo needs to be getting everyday at bats in Toledo, not occasional ones here.   I knew Haase and Baddoo wouldn't replicate the magic from last year, but I didn't expect them to be this bad.    And the defense?   No excuse for that.    Can you imagine how bad they' be without Javy and Meadows?  

My biggest fear is that we turn into the Oakland A's or Pittsburgh Pirates and by 2024 we'll be selling off any of our good players.   This has been such a letdown.    I know E-Rod will rebound, I know Meadows' power will show up, but this has just been brutal.  Just feels like the season is already over.   It's May 6th.  

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

It could be much worse. We'll get healthy and be much better. On the other hand, think about the Reds. 3-22 after starting out 2-1. It means they're 1-21 in their last 22 games. And get this...they've given up more RUNS than they have HITS. Horrid....

Oh...and BTW? Cincinnati has scored more runs than the Tigers. I think we may have better pitching?

So after 24 games, this team has scored the same amount of runs as last year's team while having given up about 10 less runs.  Feels so much like last year it's uncanny.... basically only difference is that the pitching is now top third of the AL instead of bottom in terms of runs allowed..

I remember Yoda on the old board scolding everyone (correctly) by saying that the offense was unsustainably bad and if he were still here he'd be saying the same thing.... just hope it happens sooner rather than later.

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Wasn’t it reported that there was something in Hinch’s contract that allowed him an out if he didn’t believe the ownership was invested in winning? Or am I imagining that?

I think he has an opt out but I would be surprised if that language is in there about not being invested in winning.  That sounds like a creation of the Hinch cult.

I never heard of an opt out based on a reason because how do you define that?  It's reported he has an opt out.  He can opt out because he doesn't believe in ownership or he can opt out because he misses Houston and wants to live there full time and will work at Lowe's or dive a school bus if he has to.

As usual Lynn offering up something and wording it in a confusing way.  Not doubting there's an opt out.  But who defines not living up to expectations?  Why not just say "He has an opt out if he's unhappy" because that's why he'd opt out, however you define the reason.

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

As usual Lynn offering up something and wording it in a confusing way.  Not doubting there's an opt out.  But who defines not living up to expectations?  Why not just say "He has an opt out if he's unhappy" because that's why he'd opt out, however you define the reason.

yeah - if a contract has an opt out, I find it hard to fathom anybody's lawyer would agree to attaching vague, non-verifiable conditions to it. 

58 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

So after 24 games, this team has scored the same amount of runs as last year's team while having given up about 10 less runs.  Feels so much like last year it's uncanny.... basically only difference is that the pitching is now top third of the AL instead of bottom in terms of runs allowed..

I remember Yoda on the old board scolding everyone (correctly) by saying that the offense was unsustainably bad and if he were still here he'd be saying the same thing.... just hope it happens sooner rather than later.

No, last year we didn't have 80% of our SP staff injured. There was a glimmer of hope with all the young arms. Now, we're just waiting on word that a couple of those arms may or may not need surgery. 

14 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

No, last year we didn't have 80% of our SP staff injured. There was a glimmer of hope with all the young arms. Now, we're just waiting on word that a couple of those arms may or may not need surgery. 

I get what you're saying, but it's too bad the old board is no longer around, because there weren't any glimmers of hope being shared during that stretch.

Edited by mtutiger

19 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I get what you're saying, but it's too bad the old board is no longer around, because there weren't any glimmers of hope being shared during that stretch.

Yes, there was. With Manning and Mize up as well as Turnbull looking like a quality starter. And with Baddoo performing at a ML level, the future looked bright 

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes, there was. With Manning and Mize up as well as Turnbull looking like a quality starter. And with Baddoo performing at a ML level, the future looked bright 

Around this time last year (which is what I'm talking about), Manning had about an 8.00 ERA in Toledo, Mize was struggling until he stabilized in Mid May or so, Baddoo struggled after the first couple of weeks. I'll grant Turnbull was good during the 9-24 stretch, but I remember the mood being as ugly, if not worse, than it is right now. It wasn't until afterward that things turned around.

I would add there's more hope with this team than people seem willing to admit.... particularly on the pitching side and with Tork being here and Greene getting back at some point as well. Mize and Manning are both throwing baseballs as well, which I don't think they'd be doing if the team expected them to need surgery.

But expectations were set high by the organization and they aren't being met, which leaves people pissed off. It's understandable.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Yes, Lynn made up that "in case he's not happy" nonsense and then went on to fantasize about the Yankees or Dodgers wanting him for some reason.

7 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes, Lynn made up that "in case he's not happy" nonsense and then went on to fantasize about the Yankees or Dodgers wanting him for some reason.

That dude has been stirring the pot for as long as I've been a fan of this team.... you kinda have to take what he says with a grain of salt. Also doesn't help that, based on his Twitter feed, he seems to watch more MSNBC primetime than baseball these days.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Around this time last year (which is what I'm talking about), Manning had about an 8.00 ERA in Toledo, Mize was struggling until he stabilized in Mid May or so, Baddoo struggled after the first couple of weeks. I'll grant Turnbull was good during the 9-24 stretch, but I remember the mood being as ugly, if not worse, than it is right now. It wasn't until afterward that things turned around.

I would add there's more hope with this team than people seem willing to admit.... particularly on the pitching side and with Tork being here and Greene getting back at some point as well. Mize and Manning are both throwing baseballs as well, which I don't think they'd be doing if the team expected them to need surgery.

But expectations were set high by the organization and they aren't being met, which leaves people pissed off. It's understandable.

Yes, I agree about last year at this time. It was pretty ugly. But the season itself made people hopeful. At last, out of last place. There was even talk about a wildcard spot for this season. And as good as our BP has been, it's not going to last. Too many innings will expose them. And it's barely May and there's enough injuries for the whole season. BTW, I heard Greene may not be back until July? Something about he has to get back into baseball shape?