5/31 1:10 Twins @ Tigers Game #1

Tigeraholic1

11 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Best I can tell, the Tigers have used 12 starting pitchers. Minus one Wily Peralta bullpen game. So 11 starters, it's not even June 1st yet. Crazy...

B-Ref confirms that the number is indeed twelve. Nine of them have started more than one.

7 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

What has given you such confidence in him? Against the Central leaders, I could easily see 2 blowouts.

I'm talking about his career.

Not just 1 game in his rookie year.

Today's game is a whatever happens, happens game. Another blowout entirely possible... which doesn't change my hopes/ expectations.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm talking about his career.

Not just 1 game in his rookie year.

Today's game is a whatever happens, happens game. Another blowout entirely possible... which doesn't change my hopes/ expectations.

People maybe going off his debut as well, which wasn't a successful outing.

He has good stuff, who knows, maybe we see him flash it tonight. The bigger concern I have with him is that his outings are usually pretty short.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

People maybe going off his debut as well, which wasn't a successful outing.

He has good stuff, who knows, maybe we see him flash it tonight. The bigger concern I have with him is that his outings are usually pretty short.

I figure at some point he's going to do better than short outings...

6 minutes ago, romad1 said:

another 3 hit game for Tork.  Ok. 

Move him up.

New lineup:

1. TBD (Willi, Grossman, Hill... all crappy options but... nothing to be done... at this point.)

2. Candelario

3 Tork

4. Baez

5. Miggy

the rest... fill in the blanks with whatever leftover mashed potatoes we have cooked up for the day. Hell, bench Schoop and start Clemens at 2B in the #6 spot... why not?

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Move him up.

New lineup:

1. TBD (Willi, Grossman, Hill... all crappy options but... nothing to be done... at this point.)

2. Candelario

3 Tork

4. Baez

5. Miggy

the rest... fill in the blanks with whatever leftover mashed potatoes we have cooked up for the day. Hell, bench Schoop and start Clemens at 2B in the #6 spot... why not?

Tork started coming around earlier this season and was moved up in the line-up. I say let him be for a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Move him up.

New lineup:

2. Candelario

3 Tork

4. Baez

5. Miggy

Candelario second? You mean .184-hitting-.244-on basing-for-the-last-two-weeks Candelario? That Candelario? Nahh.

Leadoff is a black hole for this team because we have no on-base-first hitters, but Willi has been the closest we’ve had for a week now, so … yeah.

So how about:

1. Willi
  2. Schoop
  3. Tork
  4. Miggy
  5. Baez
  6. Jeimer
  7. Hill
  8. Daz
  9. Catcher

Who knows, it’s all gonna change in a few days, anyway …

I have a hard time seeing or hearing Willi without thinking of Peter Gabriel's "Games without Frontiers"

Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte plays with Jane
Jane plays with Willi, Willi is happy again
Suki plays with Leo, Sacha plays with Britt
Adolf builds a bonfire, Enrico plays with it

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Candelario second? You mean .184-hitting-.244-on basing-for-the-last-two-weeks Candelario? That Candelario? Nahh...

1. Willi
  2. Schoop ...

But you want Schoop hitting 2nd?

You mean CAREER .298 OBP Schoop? Currently hitting .181 with a .223 OBP this year Schoop?

Naaah. No thanks.

I'll take the Candelario who OBP'd .355 during the 2021/ 2022 seasons and hope he turns it around for the remainder of this season.

I see no value in any loyalty whatsoever to Jonathon Scoop. But that's just me.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I guess after thinking about it he went on the dl in mid April so 60 days will be in a couple weeks, so if they weren't expecting him back for another few weeks you might as well put him there to open up a spot on the 40.

You think he's pitching for us this year?   Wow, you're hopeful.  I think he's done and I'd be shocked if he pitched in the majors again until August 2023.     I just think he's headed for TJ surgery and I don't know why they'd put that off, but our training staff sucks, so who knows what they are thinking. 

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You think he's pitching for us this year?   Wow, you're hopeful.  I think he's done and I'd be shocked if he pitched in the majors again until August 2023.     I just think he's headed for TJ surgery and I don't know why they'd put that off, but our training staff sucks, so who knows what they are thinking. 

I think he will be back by the end of June or atleast that is what they are thinking. I am concerned he will have some sorta setback though or may pitch for a few starts only for it to start bothering him again.

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think he will be back by the end of June or atleast that is what they are thinking. I am concerned he will have some sorta setback though or may pitch for a few starts only for it to start bothering him again.

And for me that would be worse than going ahead and doing what we all pretty much know needs to be done.   Hey, we've always got 2024.  What's a couple more years of an Al Avila rebuild?    1988-2005 all over again.      

The core of this team is sitting around not playing in 2022.

Jake Rogers (our Lance Parish perhaps?)

Casey Mize (Our Jack Morris or at least our Dan Petry)

Riley Greene (Our dunno...maybe our Brent Clevlen?)

Matt Manning (Our Jason Grilli?)

Austin Meadows (His power numbers being a total chimera, dunno our Andy Dirks?)

Akil Baddoo (Our Larry Herndon or maybe our Curtis Granderson)

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

The core of this team is sitting around not playing in 2022.

Jake Rogers (our Lance Parish perhaps?)

Casey Mize (Our Jack Morris or at least our Dan Petry)

Riley Greene (Our dunno...maybe our Brent Clevlen?)

Matt Manning (Our Jason Grilli?)

Austin Meadows (His power numbers being a total chimera, dunno our Andy Dirks?)

Akil Baddoo (Our Larry Herndon or maybe our Curtis Granderson)

I'm sure I can think of better comps than this.