6/2 1:10 Twins @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

20 hours ago, kdog said:

Javy Baez is healthy...he is sitting due to performance for two straight days.

The only problem with this is I don't like the lack of position players on the active roster.

I think we can all agree that there are times that players should be allowed to play through slumps and there are times when players need to be sat down for a day or two just to get away from the in game frustration that could mount game after game.  We can guess as to when this is needed for particular players.  Heck, management themselves probably sometimes guess at when its time to sit a player, particularly if there isn't much of a relationship history between player/manager.

Baez' bat has certainly been a disappointment thus far.  But he isn't the first and he won't be the last player to go through a 2 month slump.  We hope that's all it is, anyway.  Even with the slumping bat, he's made defensive plays for outs that we haven't seen out of Tiger SSs for quite a while.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

The only problem with this is I don't like the lack of position players on the active roster.

I think we can all agree that there are times that players should be allowed to play through slumps and there are times when players need to be sat down for a day or two just to get away from the in game frustration that could mount game after game.  We can guess as to when this is needed for particular players.  Heck, management themselves probably sometimes guess at when its time to sit a player, particularly if there isn't much of a relationship history between player/manager.

Baez' bat has certainly been a disappointment thus far.  But he isn't the first and he won't be the last player to go through a 2 month slump.  We hope that's all it is, anyway.  Even with the slumping bat, he's made defensive plays for outs that we haven't seen out of Tiger SSs for quite a while.

Yes, he is still a positive player for us.   Maybe move him down in the lineup.  If he wants to hit 3 or 4 again, prove it. 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Javy only has 2 runs saved defensively (according to fielding bible).   Remember when we thought Jose Iglesias was a good fielder?   He's already at -6 this year.  Yikes.   Castellanos is a -10 - as an outfielder. Wow. 

Minus 10 as an outfielder LOL!!!  I don't miss that guy at all.  Timmy Lupus is strutting around with his chest puffed out, nodding his head and saying "That's right.  That's right."

Speaking of fielding numbers, I saw a tweet the other day that Aqino of the Reds was at plus 10 runs and he only played in 22 games at that point. The main reason why is he has like half dozen non cutoff man assists with most of those happening at home plate. Those are rightfully worth quite a bit in the runs saved stat.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Speaking of fielding numbers, I saw a tweet the other day that Aqino of the Reds was at plus 10 runs and he only played in 22 games at that point. The main reason why is he has like half dozen non cutoff man assists with most of those happening at home plate. Those are rightfully worth quite a bit in the runs saved stat.

That makes for a good stat discussion. So if Aquino moved to a division where the other teams don't run stupidly, he loses the opportunity to get those assists, so is he actually worth those runs saved or not? I guess when you have a player ranking that depends on what other players do or don't do to allow you to make a play (and I suppose all defensive stats have some of that character, though some more than others) that's one more reason to stick with larger aggregates when trying to evaluate players from defensive stats. It's the same old old story about great RFs. When they come into the league they rack up a bunch of assists and then their assists drop. Of course that has two possible interpretations 1) they lost their arm 2) guys stopped trying to run on them. You might have to dig a little deeper to find out which!

I suppose you can even make the same argument for hitting stats since divisional play means different hitters to see a different cross-section of pitchers, but it's generally assumed all hitters see a similar enough quality of pitching over the course of the year that stats are comparable, though I wouldn't be surprised if there have been cases of divisions with differences in overall pitching quality that did reach statistical significance. 

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

That makes for a good stat discussion. So if Aquino moved to a division where the other teams don't run stupidly, he loses the opportunity to get those assists, so is he actually worth those runs saved or not? I guess when you have a player ranking that depends on what other players do or don't do to allow you to make a play (and I suppose all defensive stats have some of that character, though some more than others) that's one more reason to stick with larger aggregates when trying to evaluate players from defensive stats. It's the same old old story about great RFs. When they come into the league they rack up a bunch of assists and then their assists drop. Of course that has two possible interpretations 1) they lost their arm 2) guys stopped trying to run on them. You might have to dig a little deeper to find out which!

I suppose you can even make the same argument for hitting stats since divisional play means different hitters to see a different cross-section of pitchers, but it's generally assumed all hitters see a similar enough quality of pitching over the course of the year that stats are comparable, though I wouldn't be surprised if there have been cases of divisions with differences in overall pitching quality that did reach statistical significance. 

Yeah just one of many variables that make it hard to accurately compare fielders' stats.

Like say you're an OF that plays behind an extreme strikeout and gb staff so you get limited opportunities, you may end up saving less runs than the player that gets more chances but that doesnt mean you're a worse fielder.

The fact that different metrics can spit out drastically different views on guys is all you need to know about the accuracy of fielding stats. Now if all the stats say a guy is great then he probably is, same thing with bad but when you get a mixed bag or its kinda neutral I don't put a ton of stock in them. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

7 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Minus 10 as an outfielder LOL!!!  I don't miss that guy at all.  Timmy Lupus is strutting around with his chest puffed out, nodding his head and saying "That's right.  That's right."

I mean, it's only June 3rd and an outfielder is a -10 ?    How bad is Bryce Harper that they have him DH'ing instead of Nick?      

Nick is kind of built like a first baseman but he's never played there which means he must just have awful footwork.  

On 6/3/2022 at 6:50 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

I mean, it's only June 3rd and an outfielder is a -10 ?    How bad is Bryce Harper that they have him DH'ing instead of Nick?      

Nick is kind of built like a first baseman but he's never played there which means he must just have awful footwork.  

Harper has a bad elbow and can't throw.