9/24 @ 7:10 Detroit Tigers vs Kansas City Royals

Tigeraholic1

400E4F3E-D754-4471-8791-03ABD290312A.jpeg.86a5bf2e82a4856ef2c16d432566021b.jpeg

1960 was the year I started following the Tigers and these were their home jerseys. Looks a lot like the Dodgers. Detroit Tigers outfielder Neil Chrisley, who had two home runs, is surrounded by teammates Norm Cash, Al Kaline and Frank Bolling after a 7-6 win over the Kansas City Athletics on May 14, 1960. Together, this group hit five home runs, including the game-winning homer by Cash in the seventh inning.

Whenever I see players from that era with their perfect crew cuts and flat tops.  I think, how many of these guys were card-carrying commies under deep cover?   I wonder if Harry Chiti had a secret map embedded in the filing of his tooth of the hydroelectric dam he was supposed to demo in the event of war. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

400E4F3E-D754-4471-8791-03ABD290312A.jpeg.86a5bf2e82a4856ef2c16d432566021b.jpeg

1960 was the year I started following the Tigers and these were their home jerseys. Looks a lot like the Dodgers. Detroit Tigers outfielder Neil Chrisley, who had two home runs, is surrounded by teammates Norm Cash, Al Kaline and Frank Bolling after a 7-6 win over the Kansas City Athletics on May 14, 1960. Together, this group hit five home runs, including the game-winning homer by Cash in the seventh inning.

From Detroit Tigers: Five strange quirks in Tigers uniform history

1960: The Tigers have rarely worn “Tigers” on their jerseys. The road uniforms mentioned above did so in 1928, and in 1960 the team wore “Tigers” on the home jerseys instead of the English D. For some reason, club president William O. DeWitt wanted to make this change, but he then left for the Cincinnati Reds after the 1960 season. Thankfully, the English D was restored for the following year. This may have brought some good karma; the Tigers went from 71-83 in 1960 to 101-61 in 1961.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, casimir said:

Going from 71 wins in 1960 with the 154 game schedule to 101 wins in 1961 with the new 162 game schedule was a pretty good leap. Although I became a Tiger fan in 1960 I wasn’t much on standings then. In 1961 though, I was pretty well glued to it and it was so frustrating for the Tigers to be so good and for the Yankees to be better. My next-door neighbor was a Yankee fan because he wanted to always root for a team that won, which I’ve always considered a serious character flaw. The Yankees won 109 that year. I gained a lot of my ground work knowledge of the game listening to Ernie. I remember him talking about the Angels Bo Belinsky in 1962 and how he threw a no hitter sometime before the Tigers were playing them out there. I was listening to the game under my covers with a transistor radio which is one of those sacred shared generational memories.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Whenever I see players from that era with their perfect crew cuts and flat tops.  I think, how many of these guys were card-carrying commies under deep cover?   I wonder if Harry Chiti had a secret map embedded in the filing of his tooth of the hydroelectric dam he was supposed to demo in the event of war. 

hockey players from that era, when off ice, can't be distinguished between Italian mobsters.

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

hockey players from that era, when off ice, can't be distinguished between Italian mobsters.

Concur, and its continued.  Off-ice fashion in hockey is a lot like Goodfellas or the East London gangster in a Guy Ritchie movie.   Shark skin suits and looking impressive but also intimidating.  

Cycling racers are really beat up too. Yesterday Tony Martin of the German team closed out his career in the mixed relay races in Flanders with a gold medal and a rainbow jersey. The close-ups of him revealed that his right eye has been almost completely reconstructed and he has scars scraped across his forehead. 

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Going from 71 wins in 1960 with the 154 game schedule to 101 wins in 1961 with the new 162 game schedule was a pretty good leap. Although I became a Tiger fan in 1960 I wasn’t much on standings then. In 1961 though, I was pretty well glued to it and it was so frustrating for the Tigers to be so good and for the Yankees to be better. My next-door neighbor was a Yankee fan because he wanted to always root for a team that won, which I’ve always considered a serious character flaw. The Yankees won 109 that year. I gained a lot of my ground work knowledge of the game listening to Ernie. I remember him talking about the Angels Bo Belinsky in 1962 and how he threw a no hitter sometime before the Tigers were playing them out there. I was listening to the game under my covers with a transistor radio which is one of those sacred shared generational memories.

Same for me, 1962, but just to prove that there is a God, the AM station in Niagara Falls, Ontario picked up the WJR baseball broadcast in 1962 and 1963.  So, for my first two years it was Ernie and Paul loud and clear every night, and I drew up a scoresheet and sat at the kitchen table.  After 1963 I had to take the kitchen radio out into the back yard and find a spot with faint reception and minimal static.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Cycling racers are really beat up too. Yesterday Tony Martin of the German team closed out his career in the mixed relay races in Flanders with a gold medal and a rainbow jersey. The close-ups of him revealed that his right eye has been almost completely reconstructed and he has scars scraped across his forehead. 

I saw that photo, Tony Martin is 35 and he looks more like 60.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Cowan said:

Same for me, 1962, but just to prove that there is a God, the AM station in Niagara Falls, Ontario picked up the WJR baseball broadcast in 1962 and 1963.  So, for my first two years it was Ernie and Paul loud and clear every night, and I drew up a scoresheet and sat at the kitchen table.  After 1963 I had to take the kitchen radio out into the back yard and find a spot with faint reception and minimal static.

WJR came in loud and clear where I lived in northeastern Indiana. So too did CKLW from Windsor. Although I didn’t care I didn’t really pick up Chicago radio other than WLS. I just loved getting one over on the ‘rents as a kid by listening to those games from WJR on my transistor radio under the covers after midnight.

9 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I saw that photo, Tony Martin is 35 and he looks more like 60.

Tony Martin was already injured in that tremendously bad crash at the beginning of stage one of the Tour de France this year and then he was injured so badly in Stage 11 he withdrew from the Tour. He said that he thought cycling was getting too dangerous and there was not enough attention to safety and that is why he was retiring. These damn millennials have put the Elks Club out of business, injured all sorts of profitable enterprises their parents used to patronize, and now they’re ruining Cycling. They’re even putting pot dealers out of business through legalization.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I grew up listening to WJR.  That and TSN were my only connection to the Tigers.  I couldn't get day games, but the Reception was pretty good on clear nights.  At times I had to hold the radio a certain way in order to get the games.  Other times I had to figure out what was going on through the static.  I got to be pretty good at following the game for an inning or two just hearing the intonation of Harwell's  voice, the crowd sounds and the timing of commercials through the static.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Has anyone watched the MLB TV feed when it goes to non-stop commercials.  That just happened, probably 20 commercials.  Had to totally bailed to get it to stop. 

seems like that might have happened to me once. this was in a browser, I take it? (as opposed to mobile, smart TV, roku, etc)