The Eduardo Rodriguez Situation.

Thought, at this point, it deserved it's own thread. 

First of all, I hope the guy is safe and I hope his family is in good health.     

But the Tigers coming out publicly and saying he's ghosting them is very interesting and it makes me believe that his life is not in any kind of danger or that nobody in his family was sick, because I think they'd tell us that they are aware of the situation, but they seem as baffled as we are.   Maybe saying anything is the wrong move (Al does tend to talk a little too much). 

We might not know what is really happening and it's really none of our business, but now you start getting to the point where if this guy isn't even bothering to respond to the Tigers,  what are their options?    Can they void this contract?   Quite honestly, if this really is marital problems, then ghosting your employer for this long seems like it would be cause to void it.    If it really is that and he's acting like this, I wouldn't want him back now.   I don't recall ever hearing anything quite like this for the Tigers or any other team.    The only thing close to it was when they sent Rondon home.

Maybe this is why the Tigers are so transparent with the lack of two-way communication.  I think they are trying to lay the groundwork for voiding this contract.   

Just another mess is this disaster season.      Shame, because when it started warming up he started pitching well and no team has ever needed starting pitching help like the 2022 Detroit Tigers. 

Riley's broken foot really was an omen.  

This whole situation is very strange.  I've seen reports the Tigers are paying him and others that he's not getting paid.  That all part of their CBA on what he's entitled but I can't see him getting paid this whole time.  If that's the case he's losing tens of thousands daily.  There is also the possibility that Al and Hinch know a lot more than they are saying and can't say anything.   Even if he comes back it will take him a few weeks to get ready to pitch in the MLB again.  I think its getting close to the point where he won't be back this year - if ever.

With this season pretty much a washout at this point, I would be very happy if the Tigers could part ways with this guy and terminate the contract. I’d much rather have the money than the player. I know these contracts are full of stipulations and ‘what ifs’ but if the Tigers could possible be free of this contract after this year it would be great. 
I have zero idea what’s going on with the guy and my preference as stated above is totally about the money and the future of the team. 
The Tigers should have an ERod Bobblehead day. When the fans come through the gates they get…nothing. 

1 minute ago, 1776 said:

With this season pretty much a washout at this point, I would be very happy if the Tigers could part ways with this guy and terminate the contract. I’d much rather have the money than the player. I know these contracts are full of stipulations and ‘what ifs’ but if the Tigers could possible be free of this contract after this year it would be great. 
I have zero idea what’s going on with the guy and my preference as stated above is totally about the money and the future of the team. 
The Tigers should have an ERod Bobblehead day. When the fans come through the gates they get…nothing. 

They probably can't because it would be disparagement of an employee in a grievance situation

In any situation like this when I think about what a mature and demanding fanbase would do...you know one that has a significant media market and regularly gets 2m in attendance and not one run by a parking lot magnate who plays small ball with a major urban center rather than keep its promises about redevelopment. 

3 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

we just don't know if wife has brain cancer; has been kidnapped; or maybe it's a run of the mill divorce; certainly annoying, and signing cost them a 3rd round pick

New York or Boston would get the pick refunded.   The Dodgers would take the hit and not care 

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

we just don't know if wife has brain cancer; has been kidnapped; or maybe it's a run of the mill divorce; certainly annoying, and signing cost them a 3rd round pick

To this point, I want to reiterate, my comments above are not based on a personal dislike of the player. I sincerely hope that there are no serious issues at play here, health or otherwise. 

I assume when the Tigers say they can’t reach him that his agent is the go between. I would think the agent would know his circumstances beyond what the org is privy to. 

13 minutes ago, 1776 said:

To this point, I want to reiterate, my comments above are not based on a personal dislike of the player. I sincerely hope that there are no serious issues at play here, health or otherwise. 

I assume when the Tigers say they can’t reach him that his agent is the go between. I would think the agent would know his circumstances beyond what the org is privy to. 

Considering that he is a highly compensated asset on a limited roster, the agent and player have greater responsibility to report his status to the organization than what has transpired.   I see no flaw in the Tiger's treatment of him thus far.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Considering that he is a highly compensated asset on a limited roster, the agent and player have greater responsibility to report his status to the organization than what has transpired.   I see no flaw in the Tiger's treatment of him thus far.  

Unless it was rehab issue and the organization pushed him through an injury and now he is pissed? 

4 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Unless it was rehab issue and the organization pushed him through an injury and now he is pissed? 

Which if the org painted this as him being the problem and wrapped this in some sort of psychodrama to protect themselves would be beyond the pale. 

Just now, romad1 said:

Which if the org painted this as him being the problem and wrapped this in some sort of psychodrama to protect themselves would be beyond the pale. 

and might be the sort of thing that would result in veterans faking injuries to screw with the program. 

He could be dealing with depression and macho athletes wouldn't like to admit that.    I don't know.  The whole thing's odd but it seems like the Tigers coming out and saying he's not reaching back is a way to lay the groundwork of voiding the contract.    I don't think he'll pitch again this season.  He's been away from the game for almost a month now and in order get in pitching shape now it would probably take at least 3 weeks of building up his strength and that's if he came back today.  A lot of people are really tagging Avila on this one but I'll give him a break here, I think this is all E-Rod's doing. 

I know I floated the idea yesterday of voiding the contract, but pondering it some, if I were to place a bet on how they part ways, I would bet on a negotiated settlement for an undisclosed sum in exchange for non-disclosure from both sides, rather than the public ongoing drama of fighting to void of the contract. That would seem to me to be more consistent with how we've seen the tight-lipped, circumspect Ilitch empire conduct itself.

i cannot believe erod would agree to void the contract.  he's guaranteed this money and he will never get it again without this contract.

if things are THAT messed up in his life that he's thinking about doing that, then he's really in a dark place.  all the tigers can do - and should do - is offer their support and assistance.

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Since as how the source of the martial trouble story is MLB lapdog Jon Hack-man, a story I haven't seen even addressed by either Avila or Hinch, I think it's at best 50-50 that it's the real story, and even that might be generous, since his agent is also avoiding calls.

Wouldn't one think that even of Rodriguez himself is embroiled in personal difficulties that he's managing at home, his business agent would be available to provide updates to his employer?

Here are some things I found interesting about Eduardo Rodriguez's agent just by googling around some, FWIW.

His agent is Gene Mato, who heads up a company called Mato Sports Management in Miami. The company has no website, and the man himself has no Twitter or Facebook presence. He does have an Instagram page, though, with 477 followers, give or take.

Rodriguez signed with Mato last September. The news was broke by John Heyman, who also broke news of Julio Teheran, Asdrubal Cabrera, and Maikel Franco signing with Mato.

According to MLB Trade Rumors, Mato currently has eight clients: Rodriguez, Teheran, Asdrubal Cabrera, Emilio Bonifacio, Avisail Garcia, Cameron Maybin, Anibal Sanchez, and Danny Santana. Franco is not listed as a current client of Mato's on MLBTR, although his B-Ref page does say he is.

A variety of tweets and googled stories reveal that additional past MLB clients include Omar Infante, Angel Nesbitt, Manny Acosta, Manny Ramirez, and Junior Lake.

Of the 14 players listed, seven are either on now or have passed through the Tigers organization. I'm guessing Mato and Al Avila know each other from Miami.

This may all mean nothing in the big scheme of things, other then to confirm to me that a lot of what happens in baseball depends in part on relationships, versus spreadsheet analysis or Xs and Os.

But my $64 question is, if Mato and Avila know each other so well, as would be the case from doing business together a lot, including recently, why would Avila be so in the dark about the status of Mato's client Eduardo Rodriguez? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Edited by chasfh

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Here are some things I found interesting about Eduardo Rodriguez's agent just by googling around some, FWIW.

His agent is Gene Mato, who heads up a company called Mato Sports Management in Miami. The company has no website, and the man himself has no Twitter or Facebook presence. He does have an Instagram page, though, with 477 followers, give or take.

Rodriguez signed with Mato last September. The news was broke by John Heyman, who also broke news of Julio Teheran, Asdrubal Cabrera, and Maikel Franco signing with Mato.

According to MLB Trade Rumors, Mato currently has eight clients: Rodriguez, Teheran, Asdrubal Cabrera, Emilio Bonifacio, Avisail Garcia, Cameron Maybin, Anibal Sanchez, and Danny Santana. Franco is not listed as a current client of Mato's on MLBTR, although his B-Ref page does say he is.

A variety of tweets and googled stories reveal that additional past MLB clients include Omar Infante, Angel Nesbitt, Manny Acosta, Manny Ramirez, and Junior Lake.

Of the 14 players listed, seven are either on now or have passed through the Tigers organization. I'm guessing Mato and Al Avila know each other from Miami.

This may all mean nothing in the big scheme of things, other then to confirm to me that a lot of what happens in baseball depends in part on relationships, versus spreadsheet analysis or Xs and Os.

But my $64 question is, if Mato and Avila know each other so well, as would be the case from doing business together a lot, including recently, why would Avila be so in the dark about the status of Mato's client Eduardo Rodriguez? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Rodriguez may not be communicating with anyone, including his agent.

46 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This is solid targeting work, Chasfh.   

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Rodriguez may not be communicating with anyone, including his agent.

That may be true, although that doesn't mean that he isn't, or that Mato is incommunicado with Avila. They might well be in touch with each other. We do know Mato is incommunicado with Cody Stavenhagen, based on his tweeted testimony.

53 minutes ago, chasfh said:

that's definitely the case is soccer and the nba, so its probably true in baseball too.