The Eduardo Rodriguez Situation.

Yeah that's some damn fine detective work there Chas and that's really my bone of contention is why hasn't his agency reached out? If Eduardo is sick, in rehab or in prison I can understand him not being able to do it himself but it seems at the very least your representatives would be able to keep your employer up to date. 

The only reason the team would be exploring voiding the contract is because they ultimately don't think he'll be any good when he comes back, or his personal situation will negatively affect his performance or the team and they don't want to risk him being a toxic asset. Whatever they know or think they know is informing that decision.

In any case, they can't live with the uncertainty that the lack of communication is causing. Rodriguez being gone and not keeping the team updated affects all sorts of things with the team, including planning the use of minor league arms to replace him, signing of free agents, draft plans, 40-man roster management, and just budgeting for his salary. If he ever decides he's ready to return, the team would have a hard time justifying keeping him on the restricted list, so they'd have to start paying him whether or not he returns to the roster. The team cannot tolerate 5 years of uncertainty over all of that if he ultimately never returns.

Could the Tigers sue him?  

I mean, we don't know what he's going through, but if it really is something about marital issues, I'm sorry............Millions of people and dozens of ballplayers have personal problems and they still manage to play.   Hell, this guy's a starting pitcher, I am sure he could hammer out a deal with the Tigers where he would only need to be with them the day before and day of his starts, but he just disappeared like a fart in the wind (thanks Warden Norton).    I know why Al went public yesterday, because they want rid of this guy and they want the world to know that this is all on him.  I don't side with Al often, but I do on this one.   

Contracts go to ways................I'd love to have a contract where I get paid and just not do the work.   I know, I should work for Detroit Water & Sewage.    I don't know the wording of anyone's contract but if he's just ghosting them because life is tough, then to hell with him.   And if he is doing this to get out of his contract with the Tigers he and his agent are pretty stupid because I don't know that anyone is going to pay him anything close to what he's making after pulling this stunt. 

I hope it's not a health issue.  I hope it's not someone in danger back home in Venezuela, but damn it, nobody is talking to the Tigers.    Good bye.  Don't want him back then.     And he was starting to pitch pretty well and we sure could use a staring pitcher. 

8 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

we just don't know if wife has brain cancer; has been kidnapped; or maybe it's a run of the mill divorce; certainly annoying, and signing cost them a 3rd round pick

If it is cancer or kidnapping or something like that, he wouldn't have been placed on the restricted list.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah that's some damn fine detective work there Chas and that's really my bone of contention is why hasn't his agency reached out? If Eduardo is sick, in rehab or in prison I can understand him not being able to do it himself but it seems at the very least your representatives would be able to keep your employer up to date. 

Yup. The boiled-down role of an agent is to represent his client to the team. If the agent were truly going dark on the team in the same way the player appears to be, that would be borderline breach of contract. And if the agent can't get the client to respond to his own inquires, that would be incompetence, and not even borderline.

Given the ongoing relationship across the years between Al Avila and Gene Mato, if for no other reason than for all the deals they have done with Mato's clients, I'd be really surprised to learn that Mato is also ghosting Avila. After all, his own commission is in danger here, should the Tigers pursue legal action against the contract, so I don't see how he benefits by teaming up with his client against a team he has such a deep relationship with—especially since if the contract is voided or negotiated out, who's going to sign his client to anything more than a cheap one-year deal if that?

I can't say that Rodriguez is not ghosting Mato, too, but unless Rodriguez is having some kind of truly psychotic episode, which would be awful but also exculpatory, I'd be surprised to learn that Mato cannot get a hold of Rodriguez somehow.

So, I think there's a decent chance that everybody in this triangle knows where the other two are and what's going on with them, and that we're the ones who have no idea, because we the fans are being managed. I have no evidence of this so I am not making a declaration here. Just a decent chance, as I view it.

The article on MLB Trade Rumors says players on the Restricted List are not being paid.  I think the Tigers are truthful saying its a personal issue.  If it were a health issue with ERod he would be on IL and getting paid.  I think that would included mental or physical illness.  If he signed for 5 years at $77 million he's loosing about $42k a day so whatever it is it must be serious or he just doesn't want to play baseball anymore.

On 7/7/2022 at 6:23 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Could the Tigers sue him?  

No for a host of reasons. 

Mainly they only paid him for time work, he hasn't been paid for time unworked. But, they will certaintly try to void the contract. 

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

No for a host of reasons. 

Mainly they only paid him for time work, he hasn't been paid for time unworked. But, they will certaintly try to void the contract. 

that may even be a little more complex than it seems. After all, no pro team wants to set a precedent of letting a guy out of his contract just because he is unhappy with the team's performance and walks away claiming 'personal issues'. ---- well at least no team not in the NBA. 

So maybe they just leave him on the restricted list  and retain his rights until he either performs his end or they find a trade to salvage whatever value they can.

Edited by gehringer_2

I’ve come around to the idea that it’s unlikely that the Tigers will sue, not only because it will make the team look bad in general in the media, but it would also make it more difficult to attract free agent talent here. Why go play for a team that sues its players?

I also don’t think the Tigers will try to trade him because, since they’re already not paying the guy and they’re game-planning around him anyway, there’s no urgency to do so. But also, it would be hard to find a partner because who wants to trade for a guy who might one day just up and bail on the team. And what else would the Tigers have to give up along with Rodriguez to unload his contract onto someone else? We would have to help pay for a lot of the remaining contract, like we did with Verlander, or worse, throw in an actual serviceable player to sweeten the pot.

At this point, I think the most likely possibilities are either Tigers and Rodriguez quietly settle to end the contract for an undisclosed amount, or all parties involved continue the silent approach for the next four-and-a-half years until time on the contract simply runs out. I think the latter is fairly unlikely as well because it keeps the story alive through 2026. At least if they settle, the story dies pretty quickly, which is probably the most important goal of this whole affair for the team.

The long shot bet to make is that Eduardo Rodriguez simply shows up in spring training and starts up with the team again with everyone pretending like nothing happened and everyone ignoring questions about it. I don’t think that would happen this year because the media would be all over his rehab starts and his return to the team, a lot of questions would be flying around about it every day, and I don’t think the team wants that circus atmosphere, especially during the season.

I’ve got my money on quietly settle to end the contract.

45 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’ve come around to the idea that it’s unlikely that the Tigers will sue, not only because it will make the team look bad in general in the media, but it would also make it more difficult to attract free agent talent here. Why go play for a team that sues its players?

I also don’t think the Tigers will try to trade him because, since they’re already not paying the guy and they’re game-planning around him anyway, there’s no urgency to do so. But also, it would be hard to find a partner because who wants to trade for a guy who might one day just up and bail on the team. And what else would the Tigers have to give up along with Rodriguez to unload his contract onto someone else? We would have to help pay for a lot of the remaining contract, like we did with Verlander, or worse, throw in an actual serviceable player to sweeten the pot.

At this point, I think the most likely possibilities are either Tigers and Rodriguez quietly settle to end the contract for an undisclosed amount, or all parties involved continue the silent approach for the next four-and-a-half years until time on the contract simply runs out. I think the latter is fairly unlikely as well because it keeps the story alive through 2026. At least if they settle, the story dies pretty quickly, which is probably the most important goal of this whole affair for the team.

The long shot bet to make is that Eduardo Rodriguez simply shows up in spring training and starts up with the team again with everyone pretending like nothing happened and everyone ignoring questions about it. I don’t think that would happen this year because the media would be all over his rehab starts and his return to the team, a lot of questions would be flying around about it every day, and I don’t think the team wants that circus atmosphere, especially during the season.

I’ve got my money on quietly settle to end the contract.

In theory, it would make sense that future free agents may hold it against the Tigers if they sue.  In reality it won’t matter.  The free agent open market isn’t what it used to be and players are going to go to the team that offers the most money.   

I do think it would be in their best interest to settle at let him go and I agree that he is untradeable at the moment.   

A quick search shows that someone can stay on the restricted list for 2 years.   There is probably some fine print there that I don’t know about that could extend.  I’m not sure if the team could then void the contract or they have to release him under the normal terms and eat the money.  

Edited by Hongbit

23 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

In theory, it would make sense that future free agents may hold it against the Tigers if they sue.  In reality it won’t matter.  The free agent open market isn’t what it used to be and players are going to go to the team that offers the most money.   

I do think it would be in their best interest to settle at let him go and I agree that he is untradeable at the moment.   

A quick search shows that someone can stay on the restricted list for 2 years.   There is probably some fine print there that I don’t know about that could extend.  I’m not sure if the team could then void the contract or they have to release him under the normal terms and eat the money.  

This is true to a point, but I also think that players do take other factors into account, like winning, team culture, location, etc. Other factors might not be enough for them to take an 8/240 over a 10/300, but it might be enough for them to take an 8/240 over an 8/256.

His teammates aren’t stupid—if he does not have a legitimate reason to be away from the team, he will likely not get much sympathy or be held in very high regard, especially with all of the injuries to our starting pitching this season.
Again, though, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt until we learn otherwise.

43 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

His teammates aren’t stupid—if he does not have a legitimate reason to be away from the team, he will likely not get much sympathy or be held in very high regard, especially with all of the injuries to our starting pitching this season.
Again, though, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt until we learn otherwise.

Another reason I would bet against Rodriguez coming back to pitch either this season or next.

Given the Tigers did not confirm that Rodriguez is gone on marital issues as reported by Jon Hackman, coupled with a public claim by Avila that both Rodriguez and his agent have gone dark on the team, I would be surprised to learn that it was all about marital issues, that Rodriguez comes back and pitches, and everything gets back on track with the contract. That seems like a very, very long shot at this point.

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

that may even be a little more complex than it seems. After all, no pro team wants to set a precedent of letting a guy out of his contract just because he is unhappy with the team's performance and walks away claiming 'personal issues'. ---- well at least no team not in the NBA. 

So maybe they just leave him on the restricted list  and retain his rights until he either performs his end or they find a trade to salvage whatever value they can.

Then you risk that he comes back and sucks and you have to pay him. Voiding contracts is a huge red flag. It's not like the other owners wouldn't know about it. Nobody would give him much more than a small deal to start. 

By simply voiding it, you make him someone else's problem then can take his money and just go spend it on someone else. 

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

There's nothing to sue over. 

We paid him when he was part of the team. 

Didn't pay him when he wasn't. 

What are you going to argue breach of contract? That becomes null with the restricted list. 

21 minutes ago, KL2 said:

There's nothing to sue over. 

We paid him when he was part of the team. 

Didn't pay him when he wasn't. 

What are you going to argue breach of contract? That becomes null with the restricted list. 

I'm not arguing anything. I was replying to another poster about whether the Tigers might sue.

On the one hand, this makes total sense. This is the front office’s bailiwick, not the manager’s.

On the other hand, this is a really terse, icy reply

Hinch was asked Monday if the Tigers have heard from Rodriguez. 

"I have no comment on that," Hinch said, "and I won't have any comment on the Eduardo Rodriguez situation. That's for the organization to handle."

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2022/07/11/detroit-tigers-austin-meadows-setback-rehab-assignment-achilles/10029937002/

It's just so out of left field because the number of people with the drive and competitiveness who will work hard enough for years to become a professional athlete and then just walk away for any reason, is just about zero - in fact in my experience this is close to number one if that is what is happening. I guess Greinke came pretty close to walking away didn't he? But he was still quite young then when emotions run higher.....

Edited by gehringer_2