07/10/2022 2:10 EDT Detroit Tigers at Chicago White Sox

Tigeraholic1

1 hour ago, Dtrain72 said:

True, but dont underestimate the inconsistency and suckitude of our offense in contrast to the inconsistency and suckitude of Larussa.

It was quite a battle.  In the end it was up to our crappy offense and our Grossman needs to be DFA'd narrative

• Like 1

Was in attendance for this one. This one hangs on Grossman, had a great view of that play and could tell that was gonna be a disaster in real time.

But there were some questionable decisions management wise as well... kinda thought AJ was playing with fire leaving Hutch out there in the 6th and really didn't love the decision to play the match up with Sheets versus Soto. And naturally, the Sox get the pinch hit single against the shift to make it 3-2.

It's not the primary reason they lost, but I thought he overmanaged the 8th. I would have left Fulmer in and would have been OK with whatever resulted. 

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

Has Grossman ever played any first base? He impresses me as a guy that could probably handle the position if he ever spent any time there. 
As an out of the box thought, Tork goes down and Baddoo comes up.
Grossman to first. Baddoo in the outfield. 
Grossman and Miggie alternate DH, depending. 
I don’t think they’re going to DFA Grossman. 

13 minutes ago, kdog said:

Baddoo with a double. If he is not up after the all star break, it is malfeasance.

Would be awesome if he came up and performed well. The Tigers really should look at using he and Greene to improve their speed at the top of the order. This team doesn’t do anything to force the defense’s hand on the bases. I doubt they would consider bringing speed into the mix as an approach but it sure would be nice.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

It was quite a battle.  In the end it was up to our crappy offense and our Grossman needs to be DFA'd narrative

Yes, blame can be put on Grossman’s defense and/or the inability to pitch out of things in the 8th in the micro, but the lack of offense hangs over once again.

3 hours ago, kdog said:

There have to be consequences for veterans who aren’t hitting this deep into the season and make fundamental mistakes. He has no trade value…act like you  care that the team is this bad.

I dont know that Grossman is dogging it... but with a team that is 36-49 and a player on an expiring deal, when better options who are younger are a phone call away, it's hard to justify keeping him around when he's not hitting and he's misplaying balls in the outfield.

15 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Has Grossman ever played any first base? He impresses me as a guy that could probably handle the position if he ever spent any time there. 
As an out of the box thought, Tork goes down and Baddoo comes up.
Grossman to first. Baddoo in the outfield. 
Grossman and Miggie alternate DH, depending. 
I don’t think they’re going to DFA Grossman. 

I think it was mentioned that Grossman was signed in part because of Hinch’s recommendation.  And while we’re dealing with the here and now, it’s easy to forget what kind of season he turned in last year.  So I doubt there’s going to be a DFA unless Carpenter keeps up his torrid 2022 and/or Baddoo gets on that kind of streak.

Allegedly the Yankees were interested in him not too long ago.  Now there are rumors about Benintendi being the apple of their eye.  So, teams are probably willing to wait out Detroit DFAing Grossman or moving on to someone else.

As far as 1B, Cabrera clearly ain’t going out there.  Schoop hasn’t been over there this year (and really, with good reason).  It appears to be CastroH and Clemens for now.  And as ridiculous as this is to say with the CastroW experiment in the OF, I’m not sure moving Grossman to 1B in the middle of a season makes sense.  It’s questionable with CastroW, but in that case, he could be here beyond next season (don’t kill the messenger), and there were few other options when the experiment started.  They could put him over there and try, but they have to live with the growing pains while maybe not getting any of the possible gains out of Grossman.

57 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Was in attendance for this one. This one hangs on Grossman, had a great view of that play and could tell that was gonna be a disaster in real time.

But there were some questionable decisions management wise as well... kinda thought AJ was playing with fire leaving Hutch out there in the 6th and really didn't love the decision to play the match up with Sheets versus Soto. And naturally, the Sox get the pinch hit single against the shift to make it 3-2.

It's not the primary reason they lost, but I thought he overmanaged the 8th. I would have left Fulmer in and would have been OK with whatever resulted. 

I didn’t watch it, so no idea how Hutchison looked.  But I’d bet they’re just trying to squeeze every inning possible out of every pitcher just to get through to the break.

I think the move for Soto was questionable.  Fulmer gets the first two, it should’ve been a clean inning save for the error.  Walk Abreu?  Ok, he’s a demon bs Detroit.  While neither Fulmer or Soto are lights out, I think you keep going with the guy that pitched 3 outs on 12 pitches, lefty/righty hitter be damned.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

I didn’t watch it, so no idea how Hutchison looked.  But I’d bet they’re just trying to squeeze every inning possible out of every pitcher just to get through to the break.

I think the move for Soto was questionable.  Fulmer gets the first two, it should’ve been a clean inning save for the error.  Walk Abreu?  Ok, he’s a demon bs Detroit.  While neither Fulmer or Soto are lights out, I think you keep going with the guy that pitched 3 outs on 12 pitches, lefty/righty hitter be damned.

With Hutch, he kinda had to work a bit to get out of the fifth and it felt like bringing him back to face the heart of their order was risky. It's a smaller offense though, as you suggest, he's trying to manage his staff during this time and Hutch, overall, pitched legitimately well today. 

With the Soto decision, it's hard because Soto got a ground ball that, at least from my vantage point, looks like an out if the defense is playing straight up, so it's hard to be too critical of how he pitched... he got the result that he wanted, it just found the hole. That said, I don't understand the need to pull Fulmer in that situation even after the IBB. It just reeks of overmanagement, which AJ can do occasionally (obligatory disclaimer that I like AJ Hinch and am glad he's here)

Which kinda leaves Grossman and the offense as the culprits today. That error was costly and, outside of Baez in the first, they just couldn't get hits when they needed them.

20 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think it was mentioned that Grossman was signed in part because of Hinch’s recommendation.  And while we’re dealing with the here and now, it’s easy to forget what kind of season he turned in last year.  So I doubt there’s going to be a DFA unless Carpenter keeps up his torrid 2022 and/or Baddoo gets on that kind of streak.

Allegedly the Yankees were interested in him not too long ago.  Now there are rumors about Benintendi being the apple of their eye.  So, teams are probably willing to wait out Detroit DFAing Grossman or moving on to someone else.

As far as 1B, Cabrera clearly ain’t going out there.  Schoop hasn’t been over there this year (and really, with good reason).  It appears to be CastroH and Clemens for now.  And as ridiculous as this is to say with the CastroW experiment in the OF, I’m not sure moving Grossman to 1B in the middle of a season makes sense.  It’s questionable with CastroW, but in that case, he could be here beyond next season (don’t kill the messenger), and there were few other options when the experiment started.  They could put him over there and try, but they have to live with the growing pains while maybe not getting any of the possible gains out of Grossman.

I do think Grossman may be on thin ice, but I doubt anything happens until after the deadline... and I get it, they want to see if they can return value and this is not a season that is gonna result in the playoffs so its low stakes.

But as fans, I can see the frustration with waiting this out... on merit, Grossman just seems like a worse option to Baddoo based on his limited time in Toledo and that seems like a natural reaction at this point.

Edited by mtutiger

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But he can't come up and sit. He needs to play. And the Tigers have decisions to make about how many outfielders they can carry. 5? IDK.

Meadows is going to be out awhile..Both Castros and Reyes are not long term answers here.

Grossman is a cooked/sunken asset. If you want Akil to play, there are plenty of opportunities.

Edited by kdog

6 minutes ago, kdog said:

Meadows is going to be out awhile..Both Castros and Reyes are not long term answers here.

Grossman is a cooked/sunken asset. If you want Akil to play, there are plenty of opportunities.

Cameron, Hill, Reyes, Greene, Grossman, Meadows and Baddoo. At least 2, maybe 3, need to go. Or platoon. Baddoo, Greene and Meadows are all LH hitters.

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Cameron, Hill, Reyes, Greene, Grossman, Meadows and Baddoo. At least 2, maybe 3, need to go. Or platoon. Baddoo, Greene and Meadows are all LH hitters.

I'm not even counting Meadows right now.  He's a ways off until he can play everyday in Toledo.

Baddoo is not even 24 yet. He has a chance to be part of the future. Cameron and Hill are jags. Hill seems like a 4th or 5th outfielder with defensive sub value.

Reyes is 27 and a bench guy at best.