2023 Draft

21 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

If this draft is really deep (albeit with two main studs at the top), wouldn't Yzerman be better off using both 1st rounders and all 3 second rounders this draft? I don't know a lot about the NHL but everything I hear from ESPN and other sources say this is one of the deepest drafts there's been in a while. I also hear at the same time Yzer might package some picks for a player. Isn't the smart money to roll the dice with the 5 players this year in a deep draft?

I don’t always know what pundits mean by a deep draft. That likely star players are nut just the top 5 but the top 10? That a #18 overall pick this year is like a #10 overall in a normal year? That a mid 2nd rounder is like a typical late 1st rounder? There are better draft followers on this board who can assess what the experts mean by this year’s depth. 

On 5/9/2023 at 8:27 PM, lordstanley said:

I don’t always know what pundits mean by a deep draft. That likely star players are nut just the top 5 but the top 10? That a #18 overall pick this year is like a #10 overall in a normal year? That a mid 2nd rounder is like a typical late 1st rounder? There are better draft followers on this board who can assess what the experts mean by this year’s depth. 

I would just like one more year of depth before we go hog wild. I don't see the benefit of trading guys and picks just to "hopefully" make the playoffs.... I'd rather add five supremely talented prospects to our pipeline this year then start selling pieces next year for a larger push. But meh, I dunno much bout the NHL.

Al Avila quit the rebuild too early. That was his problem. I just hope Stevey Y doesn't do the same thing with the wings.... After this draft, he should be solid for a while with a great farm. Winning must almost always come from within......

• 1 month later...

I'm going to take a stab at a Red Wings draft through 4 rounds, but I'm going to cheat with the #17 pick:

At # 9, Wings select: Axel Sandin Pellikka, RD

At #17, Wings select: I Have No Clue. Whoever Stevie Y likes the best, and is available amongst Danielson, Honzek, But, Benson, Yager... maybe even Ritchie? I would guess it's between Danielson or Honzek, whoever is available, or But if those two are not. If we move up for Honzek, I'd rather trade Zadina than one of our 2nd rounders, but that's just me.

At #41, Wings select Hunter Brzustewicz, RD

At #42, Wings select Ethan Gauthier, RW

At #43, Wings select Anton Wahlberg, C

At #78, Wings select Cam Allen, RD

At #117, Wings select Ruslan Khazheyev, Goalie

After that it's too deep for me to WAG... (The Athletic has us selecting Ruslan at #117 and I looked him up and am 100% on board with that selection so... I'm cheating on this pick too I guess...).

5th through 7th rounds I'll let our excellent European scouts uncover some more undiscovered gems and I'll just leave it at that...

13 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

Hearing a lot of Sam Honzek noise to the Wings, probably with their #9 pick.

He plays for the WHL’s Vancouver Giants so I should really know more about him, but I have nothing to say. Will definitely try to get to a couple of games here this season if he turns out to be the pick. 

Edited by lordstanley

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

He plays for the WHL’s Vancouver Giants so I should really know more about him, but I have nothing to say. Will definitely try to get to a couple of games here this season if he turns out to be the pick. 

He is 6'5", so he's hard to miss.

max at the athletic has been pushing honzek for a while now.  seems like rasmussen to me, big guy who doesnt skate all that well and scores at that level because he's so much bigger than everyone else but there are questions about how that will translate at the nhl level.

but stevie loves size and that makes sense given how small the wings are.  

54 minutes ago, buddha said:

max at the athletic has been pushing honzek for a while now.  seems like rasmussen to me, big guy who doesnt skate all that well and scores at that level because he's so much bigger than everyone else but there are questions about how that will translate at the nhl level.

but stevie loves size and that makes sense given how small the wings are.  

I've heard that Honzek is a good skater, and Rass is a pretty good skater as well. Rass has improved every year, but needs to be healthy.

I'd love to get an NHL ready player with one of our picks. That said, if we aren't trading either 9 or 17 and I'm forced to pick, I'd like to see us get one of Matthew Wood or Zach Benson at 9 and Colby Barlow at 17. I got my wish last year with Marco Kasper in the 1st, maybe I'll get it this year too with a big trade that Stevie Y has up his sleeve.

16 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Ha, must admit the last 20 seconds was pretty hilarious. 

https://twitter.com/penaltyboxradio/status/1674107713159036939?s=61&t=don8lQTnTq5FKXq14p2GMw

well, you have to cut the interviewer some slack, you would never expect anyone who didn't work the word 'organ*I*zation in to the conversation with the heavy accent on the "I" could possibly be an NHL GM.