General Tsao's Cold War

romad1

31 minutes ago, clark1mt said:

Eurovision is the stand-in for war over there now. Except for the war-war going on.

True.

Anyway...this roughly corresponds to my take on the matter

We will recover a lot of useful information from this.  Primarily, we know that China are flailing away to gather intel on the US and didn't think this would be the result.  Or, they don't understand public responses and behavior in their own society and mirror imaged the same onto the United States.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

One of my first thoughts was what if China put some biological agent on the balloon with the hopes the US would shoot it down causing the biological agent to hit the mainland? 

That seems beyond risky for them and a bit too mustache-twirly evil even for the CCP. 

BTW, was reading about the description of the Chinese balloons. A lot of antenna rays looking for signals, powered by solar panels. I immediately thought of the stories about FCC vans driving thru neighborhoods back in the day looking for pirate radio stations, or 12 year old boys (mostly) who had their own radio setup (enhanced from a store bought kit).

The fact that once the balloon was spotted and we tracked them using our own spy  planes probably gave us more knowledge than shooting it down in the middle of Nowhere, MT

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

BTW, was reading about the description of the Chinese balloons. A lot of antenna rays looking for signals, powered by solar panels. I immediately thought of the stories about FCC vans driving thru neighborhoods back in the day looking for pirate radio stations, or 12 year old boys (mostly) who had their own radio setup (enhanced from a store bought kit).

The fact that once the balloon was spotted and we tracked them using our own spy  planes probably gave us more knowledge than shooting it down in the middle of Nowhere, MT

I understand there is a photo from the cockpit of a U2 with the balloon in the background that some U2 pilot became a legend for taking. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Lets hope Ford Motor Company can find a non-Chinese partner for the battery plant in Michigan.  Literally its Nazi gold.

One must be aware of not cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. To be on the receiving end of advanced Chinese tech where we control the grounds as compared to years of being coerced into putting our tech on the ground in  China where they controlled it isn't the part of US/Chinese relations I'm going to lose the most sleep over.