07/21/2022 TBD EDT Detroit Tigers at Oakland Athletics (Game 2 of the Doubleheader)

casimir

Dang….Javy is unwatchable at the plate. Does he even try to change his approach….ever? Why does a pitcher ever throw him a pitch over the plate since he has shown he is incapable of laying off those pitches. I hope he declines his option and the Tigers are relieved of this. Al certainly picked the wrong SS this past winter.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RaceDog said:

Dang….Javy is unwatchable at the plate. Does he even try to change his approach….ever? Why does a pitcher ever throw him a pitch over the plate since he has shown he is incapable of laying off those pitches. I hope he declines his option and the Tigers are relieved of this. Al certainly picked the wrong SS this past winter.

how bad are the Tigers when Javy's approach results in him leading the Tigers in doubles, triples, home runs and RBI?

Edited by gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

how bad are the Tigers when Javy's approach results in him leading the Tigers in doubles, triples, home runs and RBI?

Also the last 30 games Javy has a slash line of .261/.288/.513 which puts him just over that .800 OPS mark which given how the season started isn't all that bad and during that time has a wRC+ of 122. Yes his approach can be not the best but he has been quite valuable lately.  

• Thanks 2

Odd stat(s) of the day. 

Fangraphs has Schoop 'leading' position players on the Tigers with 1.3 WAR. BR puts him 10th at 0.0 WAR. I assume based primarily on a difference in the valuation of his defense. TBF, 1.3 is not that large an absolute number for the systems to vary by, it's the difference in his relative rank vs his teammates which is more striking. 1st to 10th is a big swing.

25 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Also the last 30 games Javy has a slash line of .261/.288/.513 which puts him just over that .800 OPS mark which given how the season started isn't all that bad and during that time has a wRC+ of 122. Yes his approach can be not the best but he has been quite valuable lately.  

Yeah, this is right. 

This season has been a shit show, but still have to keep in mind that individual games may not in and of themselves capture the overall trend for certain players. 

29 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

i thought he'd be a little lower on the slg and a little higher on the obp, but that's what i thought javy would be this year.  its similar to what he was in chicago.  he swings big - at everything - and if he makes contact, its gonna go a long way.

i'm surprised he hasnt been on a really good run yet.  like a run where he hits .300 for a month.  but his droughts are not surprising.

what is a surprise has been his struggles in the field.  im used to occasional javy lapses in attention when he gets bored and the team isnt doing well, but his throws to first and his overall defensive numbers indicate he may be in decline and may have to move to second base in the future.  that surprises me.

22 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Odd stat(s) of the day. 

Fangraphs has Schoop 'leading' position players on the Tigers with 1.3 WAR. BR puts him 10th at 0.0 WAR. I assume based primarily on a difference in the valuation of his defense. TBF, 1.3 is not that large an absolute number for the systems to vary by, it's the difference in his relative rank vs his teammates which is more striking. 1st to 10th is a big swing.

Fangraphs uses UZR, B-Ref uses DRS.  UZR has him at +17 and DRS has him at +5, so there is your difference.  I know the DRS methodology has been updated regularly.  I am not sure when UZR was last updated.  Statcast has him at +20.  

Just because UZR hasn't been updated though doesn't means it's wrong. When I was paying more attention to fielding stats, there wasn't a good way to account for shifts though, so that might be the reason for the discrepancy.  On the other hand, +17 or +20 seems awfully high for Schoop given his past record.  

Javy is not the problem with the Tigers right now.  He has had an OPS+ over 125 for the last month.  He is fielding his position well.

The problem with the offense is that only Javy and Haase are hitting for any power at all. 

For the last month, while the offense has been better-than-completely awful (team OPS+ of 95), Grossman has had an ISO of .150.  Everybody else has hanging around or below 100.

Schoop and Candy have to get it going for this offense to do anything.

Nice to see that Daz Cameron has started to hit a little at AAA in his last 5 games, 7-18, 3 2b, 1 Hr, 2 BB.  Since Reyes has basically stopped hitting again for the last month, Daz could be a nice option.

48 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Javy is not the problem with the Tigers right now.  He has had an OPS+ over 125 for the last month.  He is fielding his position well.

The problem with the offense is that only Javy and Haase are hitting for any power at all. 

For the last month, while the offense has been better-than-completely awful (team OPS+ of 95), Grossman has had an ISO of .150.  Everybody else has hanging around or below 100.

Schoop and Candy have to get it going for this offense to do anything.

Nice to see that Daz Cameron has started to hit a little at AAA in his last 5 games, 7-18, 3 2b, 1 Hr, 2 BB.  Since Reyes has basically stopped hitting again for the last month, Daz could be a nice option.

Is that a faint chanting I hear in the background?

"We want Kerry! We want Kerry! We want Kerry!....

46 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Is that a faint chanting I hear in the background?

"We want Kerry! We want Kerry! We want Kerry!....

Serious question: what is the argument against bringing him up and giving him a shot?  Does he have huge holes in his swing or game?  Are they afraid of rushing him?  

He seems like kind of a marginal prospect who's really hot right now and he might just be able to rake a little bit.  He cant be much worse than Miggy has been for the last 6 weeks.

4 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Serious question: what is the argument against bringing him up and giving him a shot?  Does he have huge holes in his swing or game?  Are they afraid of rushing him?  

He seems like kind of a marginal prospect who's really hot right now and he might just be able to rake a little bit.  He cant be much worse than Miggy has been for the last 6 weeks.

Right - he's 25, the switch either went on for real or it didn't. Might as well find out. What is a 25 yr old getting out of more time in the minors? It's not like you have a fragile young ego to protect from failure.

• Like 1