Week Two: Washington Commanders (1-0) @ Detroit Lions (0-1)

MichiganCardinal

Yeah not sure how reliable that is either but really looking at the landscape of the league there aren't a whole lot of potential contenders with qb openings so the Lions may look attractive to somebody like Lamar.

They're not a contender but it's not a barren waste land either especially on offense so he may feel that he could take them to the next level. 

I want to make sure I put it on record that I unequivocally, absolutely, 100%, no doubt, affirmatively believe as of September 16th in the year 2022 that Lamar Demeatrice Jackson Jr. is a better QB than Jared Thomas Goff. I will bookmark this post for when @KL2 comes by in a year from now and accuses me of saying that I said Goff was a better QB than Jackson.

With that having been said, I'm leery on committing draft picks and a record contract to a guy that relies heavily on his legs. I'm also hesitant since Baltimore appears hesitant to commit to him long term since they are one of the best run franchises in the NFL. This is in no way, shape or form an endorsement that Goff is better than Jackson or even preferred long term over Jackson. I still prefer trading for an established veteran like Jackson over trading picks for a rookie QB. I also reserve the right to change my mind on this stance as the season plays out. 

25 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah not sure how reliable that is either but really looking at the landscape of the league there aren't a whole lot of potential contenders with qb openings so the Lions may look attractive to somebody like Lamar.

They're not a contender but it's not a barren waste land either especially on offense so he may feel that he could take them to the next level. 

The Lions would be an amazing fit for Jackson. When/if everyone is healthy, this is a good offense. They have one of the best lines in the league for Jackson to run behind, a dynamic and solid run game in Swift and Williams, they have receivers when healthy like Williams who could stretch the field deep, big play threats on the outside in Chark, intermediate pass catchers in St Brown and Hockenson, and solid depth at WR in Reynolds. It is a well balanced offense. My concerns with Jackson are how will be be as he becomes more of a pocket passer?

Also want to add that the Lions have quickly changed the culture into a team players are desiring to come to. As long as they start to win, Lions should be able to attract players.

Edited by Motown Bombers

I share some of those same concerns about Lamae as you do MB, with that said he should be elite for atleast another 5 years so if we could take us to perennial SB contenders during that time I think it would be worth whatever draft capital it takes even if we have to suffer through some dark times after his elite years are over. After all being able to enjoy potentially several conference championship games or God forbid the Super Bowl would be worth any dark times that may follow. We're used to that after all. 

The danger though is if he only takes us to like the 9 win first round loss territory during his elite years if that were the case I think we will end up regretting all the capital it would take to get him. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

lions would blow their cap up to sign lamar jackson.

the plan - i thought - was to get a young qb to take over after goff leaves after next season.  by then they will have built up the talent on the rest of the team in order to be successful.  

but lamar is a good qb and would likely make them nfc north contenders if they continue to use their draft picks wisely.

• Like 1

Under normal circumstances, I would immediately call BS on the report. There are some unique pieces to Lamar’s situation though. Woodward Sports links to a Miami-based blog as their source. With Lamar and his mother negotiating the deal and being Florida natives, it’s plausible that someone in their close circle knows someone with that blog. Plausible.

Assuming it’s true for a moment though, I wouldn’t want to pay Lamar anymore than what the Ravens offered. He’s a mobile quarterback who gets hit a lot and he turns 26 in January. He wants a fully guaranteed contract exactly because it’s very likely he gets much worse or injured in the course of the contract. He’s better than Goff right this minute absolutely. But Goff is better than Cam Newton. Imagine having two years of guaranteed money to pay to Cam Newton right now (or even a couple years ago). 

Lamar might make sense for a team who says “we have a 2-3 year window to win a Super Bowl or we’ll have to blow it up”. I don’t think he makes sense for the youngest roster in the NFL.

Like I said before I totally get all the concerns about him and to an extent I share them particularly the style he plays but one thing I will say about him that gives me some hope that he can last longer than other mobile qbs is that one he is pretty stout at 6'3 225lb, another is I think his passing ability is better than guys like Cam and finally he isn't just a great mobile but perhaps the best ever so even if he loses some of that ability with age it will still be better than the vast majority of mobile guys cause he's that far ahead right now. 

Back to your regularly scheduled programming....

I think we see a very similar game on Sunday as we saw against the Eagles, but against an inferior team the Lions pull out a win. Frustrating moments, exciting moments, and everything in between. I think we will see Aiden make his real debut as well with a clutch sack or two.

Detroit Lions 38

Washington Red Football Commies 34

1 hour ago, buddha said:

lions would blow their cap up to sign lamar jackson.

the plan - i thought - was to get a young qb to take over after goff leaves after next season.  by then they will have built up the talent on the rest of the team in order to be successful.  

but lamar is a good qb and would likely make them nfc north contenders if they continue to use their draft picks wisely.

Can Jackson play defense? 🤣🤣