Week Two: Washington Commanders (1-0) @ Detroit Lions (0-1)

MichiganCardinal

image.png.4e8d8f5827ecca14e6222f4c331195c4.png      vs .    image.png.ef6f8ef75a9d633acde869811141d584.png

Detroit-vs-Washington.jpg

Setting: 09/18/2022 1:00pm EST on FOX

Site: Ford Field in Detroit, MI

Weather: Climate Controlled

Opening Spread: Lions -2

All-Time Series Record: Commanders lead, 31-15

Last Meeting: 11/15/2020, Lions won 30-27

Washington Commanders (1-0)

Head Coach: Ron Rivera (12th season: 92-82-1)

Projected Starting QB: Carson Wentz (7th Season: 45-40-1)

Last Week: 28-22 W v. Jacksonville Jaguars (0-1)

Looking Ahead to Week #3: Sunday v. Philadelphia Eagles (1-0)

image.thumb.png.999765913ac6b599642f56b97c111c88.png

Your Detroit Lions (0-1)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (2nd Season: 3-14-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (7th Season: 45-38-1)

Last Week: 38-35 L v. Philadelphia Eagles (1-0)

Looking Ahead to Week #3: Sunday @ Minnesota Vikings (1-0)

image.thumb.png.c1305182492c2f3ca574b6bbf7f6831e.png

Elsewhere in the NFL

Primetime: Chargers @ Chiefs (TNF), Bears @ Packers (SNF), Titans @ Bills (MNF), Vikings @ Eagles (MNF)

1:00pm: Patriots @ Steelers, Panthers @ Giants, Jets @ Browns, Colts @ Jaguars, Dolphins @ Ravens, Buccaneers @ Saints

4:05/4:25pm: Seahawks @ 49ers, Falcons @ Rams, Cardinals @ Raiders, Texans @ Broncos, Bengals @ Cowboys

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

So Leos SHOULD win this game...

If the team is going to be around .500 as some think (myself included), I think that they should win this game. Washington is in purgatory, hoping to squeak into the playoffs in a poor NFC East, but not having the talent to really compete for a title.

It's a game I would expect to lose last year that we should probably win this year, if substantial improvements are being made.

I didn't realize until I typed up the OP just how similar Goff and Wentz's career has been in the seven years since they were drafted at #1 and #2 overall. 45-40-1 record for Wentz, 45-38-1 record for Goff... Wentz won a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him before falling out of favor, Goff led his team there before the same happening. Even just at face value, I think they're both very similar quarterbacks in their ability to both "not lose" games with the right talent surrounding them, as well as their general inability to put the team on their back and win a game by themselves.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I didn't realize until I typed up the OP just how similar Goff and Wentz's career has been in the seven years since they were drafted at #1 and #2 overall. 45-40-1 record for Wentz, 45-38-1 record for Goff... Wentz won a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him before falling out of favor, Goff led his team there before the same happening. Even just at face value, I think they're both very similar quarterbacks in their ability to both "not lose" games with the right talent surrounding them, as well as their general inability to put the team on their back and win a game by themselves.

It wasn't that along ago when Wentz and Goff were the future of the league. The type of QBs the Lions needed who took their teams to Super Bowls on rookie contracts. Only teams like the Lions give big contracts to QBs who never won a playoff game.

This is exactly the type of game this franchise has historically lost.    

I still like them big in this one.  I see the offense continue to step up led by the run game and put another 30+ on the board.   Swift goes for 200 all-purpose and instantly elevates himself a spot next to Cade as the star of Detroit sports.  

44 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

ESPN Power Rankings have the Lions at.... 27.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34580647/nfl-week-2-power-rankings-2022-1-32-poll-rookies-stood-week-1
I mean yeah they lost, but so did 14 other teams.

The Bears who won on Sunday are still ranked 25.  The team they beat, the 49ers, are ranked 12th.

Do you think the Bears are better than the 49ers, or maybe Trey Lance was overwhelmed on the road?   7 times out of 10 the 49ers win that game.  The bad weather, the bad field conditions and Trey Lance not looking comfortable probably doesn't happen to them again.    

Did the Lions do much of anything to earn a ranking higher than 27?     Be honest.      If they Lions want to be ranked in the Top 20 then earn it.  Until then they don't deserve much respect.  

7 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I still like them big in this one.  I see the offense continue to step up led by the run game and put another 30+ on the board.   Swift goes for 200 all-purpose and instantly elevates himself a spot next to Cade as the star of Detroit sports.  

The way they ran the ball on the opening drive, it should have opened up the passing game. But Goff...you know.

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you think the Bears are better than the 49ers, or maybe Trey Lance was overwhelmed on the road?   7 times out of 10 the 49ers win that game.  The bad weather, the bad field conditions and Trey Lance not looking comfortable probably doesn't happen to them again.    

Did the Lions do much of anything to earn a ranking higher than 27?     Be honest.      If they Lions want to be ranked in the Top 20 then earn it.  Until then they don't deserve much respect.  

I agree that the 9ers are better than the Bears.  I would not have put the Bear above the Niners.  But I also don't think I would have put the losing team 13 spots above the winning team.  I know it's week 1 and I know that Power Rankings are meaningless anyway so I'm not losing any sleep over this or draft a letter to my congressperson about it.

As for the Lions, they hung with the 9th ranked team forcing, putting up 35 points. They still lost and they still have a rep as a bad team, so I'm not expecting a super high ranking, but I think the 20-25 range is reasonable. 

Again, I'm not losing any sleep over the ranking, just saying I think it's wrong.

20 hours ago, Hongbit said:

The QB situation is near identical. You have both Goff and Wentz still trying to prove to their respective franchises that they are capable and worthy starting QBs in this league. The battle of reclamation projects. I also feel there are different strengths and weaknesses each team possesses and no one really outmatches the other on the whole. That said, I do still feel like we should win this one and will win it.

I want to see the same thing from this team that I've been calling for all offseason, improvement. Even if they somehow lose, if I see players improving from one week to the next and consistently looking better at their respective positions I won't be mad and worried.