Week Two: Washington Commanders (1-0) @ Detroit Lions (0-1)

MichiganCardinal

On 9/19/2022 at 4:17 PM, buddha said:

goff is holding the offense back.  i love the idea of jaymo being a game changer, but can goff deliver a good deep ball?  he missed a wide open chark yesterday.  he seems to have forgotten how to pass the ball accurately deep.

despite that, he's played ok.  i cant help but think that the offense would be so much better with a guy like lamar or just with a better qb.

He has 17 TDs and 2 INTs in his last 7 games. I'm not sure what else can be expected of him. He's missed some throws but who doesn't? I say this as somebody who was not a Goff fan at all at the time of trade but he's been good pretty much since Lynn was let go and they let him throw beyond 3 yards.

If an upgrade is available (Lamar for instance) then it should be explored but I actually think this offense suits Goff very well with the elite offensive line, good running game and guys like Swift and Amon Ra who live in the intermediate and closer range are benefitting greatly from an accurate QB like Goff. I see your concerns with Jamo's potential not being maximized because Goff isn't great on the long range throw but Jamo is much more than just a run deep and catch guy so he'll be fine.

Minnesota will be a good test. Lions QBs typcially get eaten alive in Minnesota for as long as I can remember so if they can put up a good offensive performance in that stadium, I'd be impressed even if this isn't a vintage Minny defense.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 2

You can tell this offense is being built in the mold of the Rams. It wasn't just 2018 that the Rams and Goff were good. They made the playoffs multiple times and won multiple playoff games. Build it up around Goff who is good enough to win and win playoff games, and get the QB to plug into the offense to take you over the top like the Rams did with Stafford. I'm still of the opinion to use the two first round picks next year to add to the roster instead of getting a QB. 

12 hours ago, NYLion said:

He has 17 TDs and 2 INTs in his last 7 games. I'm not sure what else can be expected of him. He's missed some throws but who doesn't? I say this as somebody who was not a Goff fan at all at the time of trade but he's been good pretty much since Lynn was let go and they let him throw beyond 3 yards.

If an upgrade is available (Lamar for instance) then it should be explored but I actually think this offense suits Goff very well with the elite offensive line, good running game and guys like Swift and Amon Ra who live in the intermediate and closer range are benefitting greatly from an accurate QB like Goff. I see your concerns with Jamo's potential not being maximized because Goff isn't great on the long range throw but Jamo is much more than just a run deep and catch guy so he'll be fine.

Minnesota will be a good test. Lions QBs typcially get eaten alive in Minnesota for as long as I can remember so if they can put up a good offensive performance in that stadium, I'd be impressed even if this isn't a vintage Minny defense.

because he's been poor throwing deep balls.  he also has no mobility and we can see how valuable that can be (like against philly).

goff has been serviceable so far.  that's an improvement over last year so that's a positive.  and really, the issue with this team so far is not the offense, its the defense.

it has been enjoyable to watch a lions team with a reallt good coaching staff and front office for the first time since....hmmmm....that's a tough one.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

You can tell this offense is being built in the mold of the Rams. It wasn't just 2018 that the Rams and Goff were good. They made the playoffs multiple times and won multiple playoff games. Build it up around Goff who is good enough to win and win playoff games, and get the QB to plug into the offense to take you over the top like the Rams did with Stafford. I'm still of the opinion to use the two first round picks next year to add to the roster instead of getting a QB. 

but what available qb?  

if the decision comes down to trading three or four first round picks for lamar jackson or trading three or four first round picks to move up for bryce young....

is this lions team with lamar jackson a super bowl contender?  

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

but what available qb?  

if the decision comes down to trading three or four first round picks for lamar jackson or trading three or four first round picks to move up for bryce young....

is this lions team with lamar jackson a super bowl contender?  

I'm sure a QB will come available. In the past couple years, Stafford, Wilson, and Watson switched teams. Who knows who will be available in a couple years. Maybe the Chargers and Justin Herbert can't agree on a contract and he wants out. Not saying that Herbert will want out, but we don't know who will be available.

I look at the 2018 QB class that was suppose to be so great, and of the 4 QBs taken in the top 10, only Josh Allen ended up being better than Goff. Maybe you can make the case a health Mayfield is equal to Goff.  Looking at last years draft class, Davis Mills is the highest rated QB with the most TDs. Going all in on a rookie QB can be risky. 

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm sure a QB will come available. In the past couple years, Stafford, Wilson, and Watson switched teams. Who knows who will be available in a couple years. Maybe the Chargers and Justin Herbert can't agree on a contract and he wants out. Not saying that Herbert will want out, but we don't know who will be available.

I look at the 2018 QB class that was suppose to be so great, and of the 4 QBs taken in the top 10, only Josh Allen ended up being better than Goff. Maybe you can make the case a health Mayfield is equal to Goff.  Looking at last years draft class, Davis Mills is the highest rated QB with the most TDs. Going all in on a rookie QB can be risky. 

lots of risk in drafting a qb for sure, but there's risk in getting a higher paid older qb as well.

and what drafting a qb allows you to do is to spend money on other positions while that qb is on his rookie deal at less than market value.  trading multiple first for a known commodity not only costs you the cap space to sign him, but also takes away multiple players (through the draft picks) who are potentially below market value talent.

you can manipulate the salary cap for a while, but it does exist.

If they have have an offer of 3 firsts for Young or Stroud I believe I would pass. Rookie QB's are no sure thing, and then they would probably have to carry Goff and his albatross of a contract for another year as well making it harder to improve the defense with less money to spend.

For Jackson I would do it, but as suggested it will take more than that. Probably a lot more along with a huge cap hit, also making it difficult to improve the defense with few high picks and not a lot of money to spend.

It will be interesting watching this play out, I'm sure how Goff does this year will impact Holmes' sense of urgency.

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I bet San Francisco is wishing they traded Garoppolo and two 1sts for Stafford than three 1sts for Lance. Goff has a huge cap hit so you would be moving his salary off the books for another large salary and his contract now is easy to get out of.  

sure, but is denver happy with russell wilson?  how's baker mayfield doing?  teams dont usually deal great qbs unless they are broken or about to be.

deshaun watson is an obvious exception but had...ummm...other things going on.  as was pointed out in other threads, the ravens can franchise lamar rather than lose him if they so choose.  or you can trade more picks than denver got for russell wilson in order to get him.  and no, i dont think trading goff means they get less picks.

for every trubisky and lance, there is a jalen hurts.  i'm sure the chargers are good with herbert and the chiefs like mahomes.  the bills probably arent dealing josh allen and trevor lawrence is looking pretty nice.  even tua is better this year.

i dont think the lions MUST draft a qb.  and i do think the bust rate on highly drafted qbs is higher than people think, but i always assumed the plan was to draft a develop a qb once the team had enough talent in place to make the transition easier.  and to keep goff as a holding place starter for a year while that development occurred.

last year would have been the ideal time to do it but the qb class was rated poorly.  so maybe next year is the time?  

whatever the decision is, i trust holmes to make it....as long as it isnt a second round pick.  not even brad holmes has been able to avoid that curse.  🙂

I’d love the idea of Lamar with the Lions.  Unfortunately, we can’t have nice things so I assume that he’d immediately suffer a terrible injury and never be the same if he came here.   

Through 2 games, Goff has done what he’s needed to do to become the QB of the future.  If it continues, Brad will sign him to an extension and next QB talk will stop temporarily.   

Edited by Hongbit

9 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Through 2 games, Goff has done what he’s needed to do to become the QB of the future.  If it continues, Brad will sign him to an extension and next QB talk will stop temporarily.   

Yes. And use your two first round picks on a CB and DL. Then just trade out of the second round altogether please. 

On 9/23/2022 at 11:10 AM, Motown Bombers said:

In addition...

I think Goff may rehabilitate his image enough this year that he could also be a part of that trade package...

No, he's not Tom Brady. But given a properly built team surrounded by a good O-Line/ playmakers... he can win. So he could be traded, along with the commensurate number of 1st round picks, to get our guy... our "Stafford" (funny to type that one out...!). 

It would have to be the right team, but it's at least an option.

If it's for a #1 draft pick or similar, to get a young QB, I'd rather keep him as a mentor though...

My guess, the Lions sign him to a 3-4 year extension before mid-season... and we go from there. But... just guessing...

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Super jacked to pick this up off of market place. Here in Indiana of all places. Wish I knew what it was made for. I imagine it was a display piece at a liquor store or something. Only branding I see is the Wilson on the football and NFL hologram on jersey and pants.

IMG_4194.MOV 17.19 MB · 0 downloads  

That looks like a Christmas lawn ornament. All the rage these days...

Not certain about a Lions QB as Christmas or a very "inspiring" ornament but... Enjoy!!!

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

In addition...

I think Goff may rehabilitate his image enough this year that he could also be a part of that trade package...

No, he's not Tom Brady. But given a properly built team surrounded by a good O-Line/ playmakers... he can win. So he could be traded, along with the commensurate number of 1st round picks, to get our guy... our "Stafford" (funny to type that one out...!). 

It would have to be the right team, but it's at least an option.

If it's for a #1 draft pick or similar, to get a young QB, I'd rather keep him as a mentor though...

My guess, the Lions sign him to a 3-4 year extension before mid-season... and we go from there. But... just guessing...

he's already signed for two more years, why would you give him an extension?

2 hours ago, buddha said:

he's already signed for two more years, why would you give him an extension?

Aaah, you're right...

I was thinking we could move on after the 2022 season but that's buying out the last two years, whatever that guaranteed amount is... Not the current contract runs out after 2022...

Nix that. Not interested in a contract extension beyond 2024. Interested in getting his successor at some point... although I don't see a rush/ need to do that in next year's draft either... but if the opportunity avails itself... sure, do it.