Week Two: Washington Commanders (1-0) @ Detroit Lions (0-1)

MichiganCardinal

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Sun God getting the recognition he deserves. If he keeps up at this pace I think we have a top 5-10 WR on our hands by years end.

Its fantasy so it doesn't necessarily correlate 100% to actual rankings but a couple rest of season fantasy rankings have St. Brown at 6 for WR and Swift as high as 4 for RB. Weird to see 2 Lions players ranked that high. 

i think st brown isnt a top 10 receiver in the nfl because he's small and plays in the slot.  top nfl receivers are big guys who can beat you over the top. 

that said, he's a really good slot receiver and the lions use him really well.  i think it will be interesting to see if he gets even more looks when they get a burner like jameson williams into the lineup.

On 9/19/2022 at 9:36 PM, Sports_Freak said:

Exactly. Putting players in the best position for success. Building confidence and having their backs is the sign of a good coach. It's been awhile since we've had that. Wayne Fontès?

I was just talking to a co-worker about Fontes this morning.  He's originally from PA, so a big Steelers fan.  Chuck Schmidt's handling of the team after the `91 playoff win was much more to blame for their demise than Fontes. 

Don’t forget that he didn’t just come out of nowhere.  He was a 5 star recruit and Army All-American.   He was a victim of the Clay Helton era at USC and that hampered his consistent production.  He was also stung by constant QB injuries and was splitting time in a super loaded WR room with Michael Pittman, Drake London, Tyler Vaughns, and Velus Jones.  
He was drafted in the Covid year and that made everyone’s evaluations atypical.  I think he was definitely hurt by a lack of combine.  No doubt he would’ve impressed on the field and in the interview.   Glad it all worked out and we were able to get the steal of the entire draft. 

Edited by Hongbit

37 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Don’t forget that he didn’t just come out of nowhere.  He was a 5 star recruit and Army All-American.   He was a victim of the Clay Helton era at USC and that hampered his consistent production.  He was also stung by constant QB injuries and was splitting time in a super loaded WR room with Michael Pittman, Drake London, Tyler Vaughns, and Velus Jones.  
He was drafted in the Covid year and that made everyone’s evaluations atypical.  I think he was definitely hurt by a lack of combine.  No doubt he would’ve impressed on the field and in the interview.   Glad it all worked out and we were able to get the steal of the entire draft. 

I believe ESPN had him as the number 1 overall recruit coming out of HS so yeah he definitely has some pedigree.