Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

5 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Thats perfect, we are phasing them out and those are just what Ukraine needs.

A10s *shouldn't* have any survivability against an enemy like the Russians. But with their lack of infantry protecting their armor, that cuts down on the manpad risk, and given that they haven't really been able to establish all that much air superiority, they might have a role.

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

A10s *shouldn't* have any survivability against an enemy like the Russians. But with their lack of infantry protecting their armor, that cuts down on the manpad risk, and given that they haven't really been able to establish all that much air superiority, they might have a role.

They call them tank destroyers for a reason. Funny, my Dad and I talk about how we each got our butts bailed out by A-10's his in Vietnam and mine in Iraq/Afgahnistan! We are phasing out A-10's here at our guard base and bringing in F-16's.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

5 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Why does Putin need a win?  Fuck him.

My sentiment exactly.

How about we give him a few losses instead?

A lost economy, a loss of European markets, lost land (once Ukraine takes back all of their territory all the way to the Russian border), vast losses in military men & equipment, lost international prestige/ respect/ cooperation, and how about he loses his control of Russia period too?

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

My sentiment exactly.

How about we give him a few losses instead?

A lost economy, a loss of European markets, lost land (once Ukraine takes back all of their territory all the way to the Russian border), vast losses in military men & equipment, lost international prestige/ respect/ cooperation, and how about he loses his control of Russia period too?

That's the playbook, and let's not hear about "experts" suggesting "negotiated settlements".

5 hours ago, romad1 said:

dumbass suggestions 

Serious question, why is this such a terrible idea?  We refuse to use our Nukes as a deterrent already and can launch enough to participate in our 50% share of the end of the world without launching them from eastern Europe. 

In return, Ukraine gets it's land back, fighting stops, and maybe this world recession we're about to jump into isn't as bad as it could continue to be if we don't.  Mind you, awfully easy for me to say 'F$%@ Putin' from my fairly steady job that likely won't get cut even if a major recession, my guess is most of you would be throwing out reports on how a major recession is worse on minorities if a republican was to blame for the recession.  Odd no one seems to give a shit about them now.

2 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Serious question, why is this such a terrible idea?  We refuse to use our Nukes as a deterrent already and can launch enough to participate in our 50% share of the end of the world without launching them from eastern Europe. 

In return, Ukraine gets it's land back, fighting stops, and maybe this world recession we're about to jump into isn't as bad as it could continue to be if we don't.  Mind you, awfully easy for me to say 'F$%@ Putin' from my fairly steady job that likely won't get cut even if a major recession, my guess is most of you would be throwing out reports on how a major recession is worse on minorities if a republican was to blame for the recession.  Odd no one seems to give a shit about them now.

1. You do not give Putin anything as a reward for invasion and war crimes against the Ukrainian people.

2. You do not put your own nuclear chips in play for Ukraine.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, romad1 said:

1. You do not give Putin anything as a reward for invasion and war crimes against the Ukrainian people.

correct. Not to mention I don't think even Putin goes for the deal. He doesn't want the nukes out, he wants NATO demilitarized so he can go back to his life's work of reclaiming greater Russia. We need to resign ourselves to defeating  him on the ground because he's not going to negotiate any settlement less than a demilitarized Ukraine that he can walk over once the ink dries on the west fulfilling their side of the 'agreement.'

People in the West need to learn to listen to what people like Putin actually say instead of their imaginations about what they would like him to be. He's put it out all there. It's foolish to take him at less than his word.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, romad1 said:

I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert in the field, but we could send in all of our might, annihilate every Russian in Ukraine, including Crimea, Russia completely backs down, but Putin would still spin it as a win internally.

From a western standpoint, He would have invaded Ukraine, agreed to no Nukes in the eastern European countries in return to walking away with his tail between his legs.  Additionally he would have added another NATO country on it's border in the North and it absolutely would put Ukraine in a direction of being a NATO member in the upcoming years as well.    I just don't see any reward for Putin.  I do see a reward for African's being able to get some wheat, as well as the global economy, which again, affects poor people more than anyone else.  

Don't get me wrong though, remember i'm still a conservative at heart, so screw poor people, they should lift themselves up by the bootstraps and maybe head to Ukraine and fight if they want to do something productive.

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

correct. Not to mention I don't think even Putin goes for the deal. He doesn't want the nukes out, he wants NATO demilitarized so he can go back to his life's work of reclaiming greater Russia. We need to resign ourselves to defeating  him on the ground because he's not going to negotiate any settlement less than a demilitarized Ukraine that he can walk over once the ink dries on the west fulfilling their side of the 'agreement.'

I doubt Putin would do it either.  But if he would, it seems like a dream scenario to me.