Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

WaPo with a story today laying Nordstream at Ukraine's feet. Makes more sense than the charge that we did it. That fact is that at 70 meters water depth it just wasn't that hard to do. Any diver trained on tri-mix diving gas can get that deep with otherwise standard scuba gear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/06/06/nord-stream-pipeline-explosion-ukraine-russia/

1 hour ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

Take it up with the New York times. Ukrainians like to wear Nazi symbols.

That steel plant that Ukrainians held out in for so long had a contingent that was part of a far right nationalist group, some wearing Nazi symbols.  CNN was the first I was aware of to blur out those symbols while honoring those fighters.  That said, you're talking about a small subset.  Even in the US we have far right nationalist folks, ironically you support the same politicians that they do.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

That steel plant that Ukrainians held out in for so long had a contingent that was part of a far right nationalist group, some wearing Nazi symbols.  CNN was the first I was aware of to blur out those symbols while honoring those fighters.  That said, you're talking about a small subset.  Even in the US we have far right nationalist folks, ironically you support the same politicians that they do.

Is it ironic if its driven by pure cynicism? 

47 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

They is a large number of Far right in our military. Funny thing is most don't go in that way but come out indoctrinated. 

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

They is a large number of Far right in our military. Funny thing is most don't go in that way but come out indoctrinated. 

When I was in the military, there was barely even any talk about political matters.   I disagree that the military is responsible for creating right wing extremists, they are like that when they go in and the military gives them a chance to live out their fantasies and hone their skills.  

Russia killing, wounding 3,700 Ukrainian soldiers in failed counter-offensive

Russia’s defense minister said on Tuesday his forces had thwarted the first three days of a Ukrainian counter-offensive in battles that had left more than 3,700 Ukrainian soldiers dead or wounded.

Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu made the claim in an unusually detailed statement reporting on alleged losses by both sides.

The attempts at an offensive were thwarted, the enemy was stopped,” he added. “The enemy did not achieve its goals but suffered significant and incomparable losses.”

He said Ukraine lost 3,715 men over three days, as well as 52 tanks and 207 armored vehicles. Russia lost 71 soldiers and 210 were wounded over the same period in the battles. Russia lost 15 Russian tanks and nine armored vehicles, he said.

Russia said on Monday that Ukraine had begun its long-awaited counter-offensive by trying to pierce the Russian front in the south of the Donetsk region.

https://english.alarabiya.net/News/world/2023/06/06/Russian-forces-have-repelled-Ukrainian-offensives-over-the-past-three-days-Minister

10 minutes ago, jz68 said:

When I was in the military, there was barely even any talk about political matters.   I disagree that the military is responsible for creating right wing extremists, they are like that when they go in and the military gives them a chance to live out their fantasies and hone their skills.  

Not sure how long ago you served but things have changed. Army missed its recruiting numbers in the last year by a substantial 25%. 2023 is looking even more bleak.... You get alot of grifters getting bonus's to re up for 12-18 months and these guys tend to be the extermist in my experience.

46 minutes ago, jz68 said:

I would agree during my time in the 80s/90s.  Everyone was blandly right of center but not in a mean way.  

Not sure how long ago you served but things have changed. Army missed its recruiting numbers in the last year by a substantial 25%. 2023 is looking even more bleak.... You get alot of grifters getting bonus's to re up for 12-18 months and these guys tend to be the extermist in my experience.

I joined in 86 and back then you didn't even need to have a high school diploma to join so it's not like they were only taking top shelf people until recently.  

11 minutes ago, jz68 said:

I joined in 86 and back then you didn't even need to have a high school diploma to join so it's not like they were only taking top shelf people until recently.  

Over 80 of J6 convicted are former military. Still just need a GED for most branches.

Over 80 of J6 convicted are former military. Still just need a GED for most branches.

Being a Veteran hasn't ever meant you weren't capable of doing some dumb stuff.  Also, being caught at Jan 6th doesn't mean they were radicalized in the military.  Most of the people caught in the Capitol riots are just your run of the mill right wing idiots.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jz68 said:

Being a Veteran hasn't ever meant you weren't capable of doing some dumb stuff.  Also, being caught at Jan 6th doesn't mean they were radicalized in the military.  Most of the people caught in the Capitol riots are just your run of the mill right wing idiots.  

Yes, Lee Harvey Oswald and Charles Whiteman

• Like 1