Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

This guy is a trip

He's basically working against the MOD at this point. 

Prigozhin captures Russian Lieutenant Colonel...

Although Wagner had been attacked by this LC so...

More like they are firing at each other (pot-shots, not a full scale war):

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prigozhin-alleges-wagner-mercenaries-captured-082400319.html

22 hours ago, romad1 said:

Please, lets reward the aggressor so that Xi knows he can be rewarded too. 

He has some legitimate points, but 1) I don't see Ukraine or even Europe agreeing to what he's saying even if we pulled our military support and 2) he's refusing to look at the benefits in terms of the deterrent China has to see in terms of world support for Ukraine.  There is an argument that Xi would be fine being a bit more isolated and dealing with that fallout if he were to go after Taiwan, but I don't think he would want to deal with it at the point of what Xi is seeing Russia deal with.  

Just now, ewsieg said:

He has some legitimate points, but 1) I don't see Ukraine or even Europe agreeing to what he's saying even if we pulled our military support and 2) he's refusing to look at the benefits in terms of the deterrent China has to see in terms of world support for Ukraine.  There is an argument that Xi would be fine being a bit more isolated and dealing with that fallout if he were to go after Taiwan, but I don't think he would want to deal with it at the point of what Xi is seeing Russia deal with.  

And to further this, Taiwan is definitely more important to the US than Ukraine, so if we're going to support Ukraine like we are, Xi can only imagine what we'll do for Taiwan.

32 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

And to further this, Taiwan is definitely more important to the US than Ukraine, Taiwan.

I wouldn't go that far. I don't think the situations are exactly comparable - sort of apples and oranges in many ways, but overall I don't think you can say the outcome in Ukraine will be any less important to the future of the entire EU and thus to the US than what happens in Taiwan.

At the purely strategic level, the essentially independent  status of Taiwan actually doesn't do anything now to limit the rest of China's strategic reach in the Asia/Pacific. You can compare it to the impact Cuba has had on the US's international reach. Taiwan's importance strategically lies in the one technological niche they dominate, and knowledge and technology are both transient and mobile in the modern world. If the Chinese move on Taiwan it's a pretty good bet that the unique expertise at TSMC will have long fled the scene before any regent of Xi's sits in Taipei. OTOH, the status of Ukraine will completely swing every aspect of the political and security situation in the Europe and the Atlantic. 

The US cannot see either situation as an excuse to beggar the other.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

not necessarily. I don't think the situations are exactly comparable - sort of apples and oranges in many ways, but overall I don't think you can say the outcome in Ukraine will be any less important to the future of the entire EU and thus to the US than what happens in Taiwan.

At the strategic level, the semi-independence of Taiwan actually doesn't do anything now to limit the rest of China's strategic reach in the Asia/Pacific. Taiwan's importance strategically lies moslty in the one technological niche they dominate, and knowledge and technology are both transient and mobile in the modern world. OTOH, the status of Ukraine will completely swing every aspect of the political and security situation in the Europe and the Atlantic. 

The US cannot see either situation as an excuse to beggar the other.

But politicians who are beholden to Victor Orban's political philosophy and who view Putin's gay-bashing Russia as the bastion of Christianity are sure hoping to beggar those Jews and Romani who run Ukraine. 

Nazi Symbols on Ukraine’s Front Lines Highlight Thorny Issues of History

Since Russia began its invasion of Ukraine last year, the Ukrainian government and NATO allies have posted, then quietly deleted, three seemingly innocuous photographs from their social media feeds:

In each photograph, Ukrainians in uniform wore patches featuring symbols that were made notorious by Nazi Germany and have since become part of the iconography of far-right hate groups.

But some members of these groups have been fighting Russia and are now part of the broader military structure. Some are regarded as national heroes.

A soldier resting in a trench. A small bag on his belly bears a blue and yellow patch with a black skull emblem on it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/05/world/europe/nazi-symbols-ukraine.html

People are quick to point fingers. But folks did the same thing as Nordstream. Ukraine was almost certainly behind that.

The Russian defence minister, Sergei Shoigu, accused Ukraine on Tuesday of blowing up the Nova Kakhovka dam as part of a plan to redeploy units from the nearby Kherson region for operations against Russian forces.

Reuters reports that a Russian defence ministry statement signed by Shoigu said the dam breach and resultant flooding were designed to prevent Russia from attacking near Kherson, while allowing Ukraine to “transfer units and equipment from the Kherson front to the area of offensive operations”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2023/jun/06/russia-ukraine-war-live-dam-near-kherson-blown-up-by-russian-forces-ukrainian-military-says

Hundreds of Ukrainians Killed in Failed Offensive, Russia Claims

Russia on Monday claimed to have stopped a “major” Ukrainian attack over the weekend that allegedly left hundreds of Kyiv’s soldiers dead. The Russian Defense Ministry announced on its Telegram channel that the Sunday morning

The enemy did not achieve its tasks, it had no success.” Moscow claimed “more than 250” Ukrainian personnel, 16 tanks, and other equipment were lost in the failed operation.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-begs-judge-to-toss-another-e-jean-carroll-defamation-case