The pet peeve thread

10 hours ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

nope. Europeans would probably go DD MMM YY(YY) and probably wouldn't throw the day of the week into the middle of it.

Day of the week in the middle is just odd. YYYY-MM-DD - in a numeric fashion - is something I use sometimes, but isn't standard at all, just easier to make sure no one's going to get confused.

19 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Day of the week in the middle is just odd. YYYY-MM-DD - in a numeric fashion - is something I use sometimes, but isn't standard at all, just easier to make sure no one's going to get confused.

Yeah today is 9/29/2021...it is what I am used to, but when I organize my pictures folders I start with year then a dash and the month 2021-09.....like that so when I sort the files the are in order.  The day in the middle does seem weird when you think about it.

Today really should be 2021/09/29 IMO

4 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Day of the week in the middle is just odd.

yeah, I hate it. not quite peeve level, just one of those stupid things I've come to dislike over time.

4 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Yeah today is 9/29/2021...it is what I am used to, but when I organize my pictures folders I start with year then a dash and the month 2021-09.....like that so when I sort the files the are in order.

yep. any date I have to (or can) sort as text is YYYY-MM-DD. I actually end up using that format for most date situations and only use MM/DD/YYYY when it's an online form. and anything I sign and date is usually DD MMM YYYY ("MMM" being the name of the month, not the number).

4 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Today really should be 2021/09/29 IMO

I prefer hyphens to slashes, but that's just me. other than that, I wholeheartedly agree.

17 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

yeah, I hate it. not quite peeve level, just one of those stupid things I've come to dislike over time.

yep. any date I have to (or can) sort as text is YYYY-MM-DD. I actually end up using that format for most date situations and only use MM/DD/YYYY when it's an online form. and anything I sign and date is usually DD MMM YYYY ("MMM" being the name of the month, not the number).

I prefer hyphens to slashes, but that's just me. other than that, I wholeheartedly agree.

Yeah I can go either way on hyphens or dashes, but usually go dashes for myself because of file systems and not wanting to confuse things.

We have this ongoing thing at the radio station I work at between the PD & our engineer constantly tweaking the processing on our mic. 1 sets it - the other changes it - then it gets changed back.  This has been going on for 3.5 years - Today my pd comes in & tells me & the other DJ "You guys can't tweak the processing anymore..." 

Dude - we don't even know where the processor IS - Man up & tell the boss you're doing it!

I’ve long had a bit of a pet peeve about people who sit in their cars for long stretches of time on their phone. Many is the time I go to a grocery store, park next to someone who’s in their car on their phone, engine running, I go into the store, come out half an hour or so later, and they are still sitting there in the same spot and still on their phone, engine still running. It’s not a rational pet peeve, but pet peeves aren’t really rational.

I pull into a parking spot on a street Sunday night for a ball game. As I am sitting into my open trunk putting on my knee brace (three surgeries on the same knee in five years, ouch), I see the lady sitting in the car behind me on her phone—and the engine is running, burning gas.

And I’m thinking to myself: why is she running the car? I could see it if it were 95 degrees out so she could stay cool with the AC. And I could see it if it were 25 degrees out so she could run the heat. But it was a perfect 70 degrees out. She doesn’t need either the heat or the AC. She doesn’t even need to sit in a car to protect her from the weather. She’s just sitting there running the engine and spewing the CO2 into the atmosphere, because she can.

No wonder the planet is dying.

Edited by chasfh

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

She doesn’t need either the heat or the AC. She doesn’t even need to sit in a car to protect her from the weather. She’s just sitting there running the engine and spewing the CO2 into the atmosphere, because she can.

Maybe they are waiting for someone and, while listening to the radio, don't want to have to hit the accessory button every two minutes when it automatically shuts off. Maybe they have allergies and don't want too much exposure to the elements.

I'd wager they probably have a pet peeve of people who can't mind their own freaking business.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

OK, Johnny!

Nice snipping there, too!

And what good is an irrational pet peeve thread if you can’t earnestly hammer people on their admittedly irrational pet peeves! 😂

City of Ann Arbor actually passed an ordinance against idling cars but I rather doubt the AAPD are very much into enforcement since they are one of the constant offenders!

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

City of Ann Arbor actually passed an ordinance against idling cars but I rather doubt the AAPD are very much into enforcement since they are one of the constant offenders!

Todays cars are different, but more than once I have been in a car with the engine off just BS'n with friends or something (waaay back in the day) and trying to start the car only to find out the blower motor was on or the headlights and the radio while someone was charging something etc.  Old habits die hard.

I sit in my truck quite a bit these days...have for the past 10 years or so.  I eat lunch then hang in my truck most days (unless I take a walk) listening to whatever audio book I am currently into (Just After Sunset currently) and playing solitaire on my phone...95% of the time my truck is not running, but sometimes it is...just depends.

What is the point of having modern conveniences and not using them to make your day/life better?  Especially if they are so minor in the grand scheme of things.

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Always trust the man with experience! 😁

Actually, funny you'd say that, I do have anecdotal experience. A coworker shared a story of a friend of his who tried to euthanize his dog by leaving it in a running car located in a closed garage. The car didn't produce enough carbon monoxide and he went out later and found the dog sitting there wagging his tail. The cheap SOB had to spend the money at the vet after all.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

And with modern emissions, an idling vehicle is hardly a concern for the environment. Heck, you could sit in a closed garage with your vehicle idling and not suffer any ill effects from carbon monoxide. Older vehicles not so much though.

idling a modern engine produces little in the way of traditional pollutants like CO (carbon monoxide) and NOx but it still burns fuel and generates the resulting CO2 (->climate change), which is the focus now for having engines off when parked. 

Actually when it comes to pet peeves, that's one I have about a lot of the discussion about CO2 where it's treated as a 'pollutant'. A pollutant is something that is a byproduct, something you really didn't want in the first place and are just well off without. In that that stricter sense CO2 is not a pollutant - it's the desired product - if you don't get the CO2 you don't get the energy and that is why you are running the engine or the boiler or whatever in the first place. Calling CO2 a pollutant implies to people that you can have the still have the process without it, like you can have a car without the CO, but that's not the case with CO2. You can't have the IC engine at all without the CO2.

Edited by gehringer_2

A couple of days back someone was going down a major artery road on his bike, during rush hour.  The speed limit on the road was 45mph and he was causing a massive backup in traffic.  Two lanes in each direction and normally that's not enough during rush hour.  There wasn't enough room to get around him in the one lane of course so traffic was just way backed up in that lane and the other was obviously effected as people tried to jump out of the right into the left.

Now, legally... yes, he was totally allowed to do this and it was within his rights.  But dude... just common curtesy would seem to be that rush hour isn't the time to be out road biking.

Just to pre-answer a few inevitable questions:

• There was a sidewalk in the area, but legally speaking he was right to be in the road. Not that I think the police would have gone after him at all had he been on the sidewalk.
  • There was no bike lane.
  • While he could have been a commuter, I don't think this was the case.  He was in full spandex on a road bike without any bags/packs on the bike or himself so seems unlikely that he was commuting.

10 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

A couple of days back someone was going down a major artery road on his bike, during rush hour.  The speed limit on the road was 45mph and he was causing a massive backup in traffic.  Two lanes in each direction and normally that's not enough during rush hour.  There wasn't enough room to get around him in the one lane of course so traffic was just way backed up in that lane and the other was obviously effected as people tried to jump out of the right into the left.

Now, legally... yes, he was totally allowed to do this and it was within his rights.  But dude... just common curtesy would seem to be that rush hour isn't the time to be out road biking.

Just to pre-answer a few inevitable questions:

• There was a sidewalk in the area, but legally speaking he was right to be in the road. Not that I think the police would have gone after him at all had he been on the sidewalk.
  • There was no bike lane.
  • While he could have been a commuter, I don't think this was the case.  He was in full spandex on a road bike without any bags/packs on the bike or himself so seems unlikely that he was commuting.

Funny you brought this one up.  I am in the market for an E Bike and when I get it thinking about using it to commute to work some days.  The road I take is a 2 lane, mostly with no real shoulder or side walk etc...so I was sitting here trying to plot my route in a way that would not take me 30 extra minutes, but would also not hinder the other commuters using that road.  I know if I was driving to work and we got backed up because of some moran on his bike I would get some serious road rage so noway would I put anyone else through that.