The pet peeve thread

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I usually get stuck behind the older (than me) person who is technologically challenged and has to call the U Scan keeper. 
Or someone who has a large order.

Kind of like the 80 plus year olds who always happen to be in front of me at the inconvenience store who want to by $50 worth of $2 scratch off tickets when I want to pay for my coffee and donuts and go. 

I went to the inconvenience store yesterday, there was one other customer, redeeming a big pile of tickets.  I waited a minute, and then walked out.  Lottery tickets are a big peeve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's a good system that doesn't work so well if you bring your own bags from home, which we do. 

I was a bagger a little over 30 years ago, well before bringing your own bags was a thing.  We had a semi regular customer who had created her own totes out of wife beaters.  She simply sewed the waist of the A shirts closed, and then she used the shoulder straps as the handles.  They were pretty strong and the fabric was much more durable than a plastic bag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I was a bagger a little over 30 years ago, well before bringing your own bags was a thing.  We had a semi regular customer who had created her own totes out of wife beaters.  She simply sewed the waist of the A shirts closed, and then she used the shoulder straps as the handles.  They were pretty strong and the fabric was much more durable than a plastic bag.

That's so awesome, I bet she killed her husband first.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I went to the inconvenience store yesterday, there was one other customer, redeeming a big pile of tickets.  I waited a minute, and then walked out.  Lottery tickets are a big peeve.

I hate when they purchase 10 tickets and instead of buying 10 of the same type they have to buy 10 different tickets.  They choose deliberately like what ticket they buy makes a difference.  

And I hate it when they move to the side and scratch it off then think they don’t have to wait in line again to redeem it. They’ll just lean over and cut in front of you to hand to the guy. “Give me another”.   Like their whole process of playing is the transaction and they’re doing you a favor by letting the guy ring you up while they scratch. 

Major pet peeve of mine is why, for some reason, I get ads for Shinola products.     One came across one of the websites I was browsing for Shinola sweatshirts.    $160.    Are you f'ing kidding me?      I hate them.   I really hate them.   I think they are frauds.     One time an ad for a $2500 turntable popped up.   For $2500 I want a hologram of the artist to appear in my living room.      

Let's start a company called Shit and we'll have a logo achingly similar to Shinola, but just different enough to not violate copyright laws.  We can sell our sweatshirts for $35 and watches for $50 (which will be just as good as theirs) and make fun of them to the point where they sue us and bring us free publicity.    

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Ha ha sure, this theoretical bagger who does not exist in my world and therefore not in my peeve can go ahead and bag I guess in some alternate universe, I'm not going to try to make him/her lose their job.  That's why I refuse to use self-checkout.

I have only gone a few times in the past 15+ years with my wife for some random reason.  There is always a bagger so I wanted to make sure my wife was not being a "Karen".

16 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I only use self-checkout.

I'm way too hyper to wait for anyone else to bag my groceries, or be stuck in a slow moving line at a cashier for:

any

reason

whatsoever.

Standing in lines may be the thing that causes me the most stress...when discussing normal every day things people do all the time, that is.  I literally HATE standing in a line...especially one where there are no boundaries to show the inconsiderate/rude people where the line is....we went to this Dinosaur themed outdoor nature walk type thing last year with the kids....there was a path, but it was WIDE...we are all standing in line waiting our turn (had to be close to a thousand people there) and people are just walking right past us clogging it all up...I thought my head was going to explode.  

13 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I hate when they purchase 10 tickets and instead of buying 10 of the same type they have to buy 10 different tickets.  They choose deliberately like what ticket they buy makes a difference.  

I do not buy them, but I have read about this and it does matter.  At least a little.  I know you are a stat guy so you should appreciate it.

I am very fortunate to have several markets nearby for shopping that doesn't require a lengthy trip.  My wife goes to Meijer or Kroger and does the cliclists things for non perishable items.  But for meat and fruit we have two smaller markets as options and go there once or twice a week as needed.  And we have a smaller market/party store type place for any random thing we need.  I'd rather make 2-3 small trips that take just a few minutes rather than wait in a huge line.  

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

I do not buy them, but I have read about this and it does matter.  At least a little.  I know you are a stat guy so you should appreciate it.

It matters in that you might have a .05% better chance of winning on one card than another.  If they know which card gives them the best chance though, they should be buying 10 of that card and not that one of that card plus 9 inferior cards.  

33 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It matters in that you might have a .05% better chance of winning on one card than another.  If they know which card gives them the best chance though, they should be buying 10 of that card and not that one of that card plus 9 inferior cards.  

It is based on some theory that where in the roll the current card is at, not necessarily the game itself, but how many are left in the roll.  I do not buy so do not have all the details, but read some on it like 4-5 years ago and they had a topic about it on the local sports radio a few months ago and people were calling like crazy with "tips", that one did seem to pan out.

5 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Its a tax on people who are bad at math.

There is an Ontario lottery, twice a week.  The pot starts at $5 million, and rolls over if there is no winner.  Do I buy a ticket?  Of course not.  I'm not wasting all that karma on any pots less than $10 million.

We don’t play. Maybe twice a year on a whim I will get $5 in easy picks.  But sometimes when the jackpot gets huge and there’s a news story the wife will nag me.  I try to explain that the bigger jackpot does nothing to the odds. Potentially winning $5 million or $400 million gives me the same motivation. Which is none.  I’d prefer the 5 to be honest. Less headache. 

35 minutes ago, casimir said:

The theories are far fetched, but that people believe in them is truth.  Dealing with the people aspect of lottery scratch offs and daily drawings when I worked in a grocery store was awful.

No doubt.  I never cease to be amazed by what people will believe.  

Like slot machines great effort goes into the psychology. I’ve read that slot makers hire people with phD’s on brain chemistry to study how the bells and lights and patterns trigger certain addictive elements in us.  Getting people to believe a system exists is the point.