The pet peeve thread

My Peeve is related.  We're expectingbig snow.  So people that go grocery shopping later in the week decide to go Monday or Tuesday.  When that happens things are more crowded and shelves are empty.  Then people freak out and call them idiots for "hoarding".  It's not that.  People are just shopping.  It's not ridiculous.  People aren't being crazy.  they'd just rather not go out and shop later in the week so they go earlier.   When are people allowed to shop and when are they not?  If 50 loaves of bread are on the shelf and 40 people take those, who is the hoarder?

53 minutes ago, oblong said:

My Peeve is related.  We're expectingbig snow.  So people that go grocery shopping later in the week decide to go Monday or Tuesday.  When that happens things are more crowded and shelves are empty.  Then people freak out and call them idiots for "hoarding".  It's not that.  People are just shopping.  It's not ridiculous.  People aren't being crazy.  they'd just rather not go out and shop later in the week so they go earlier.   When are people allowed to shop and when are they not?  If 50 loaves of bread are on the shelf and 40 people take those, who is the hoarder?

🙋🏼‍♂️

Ooh ooh, I think I might know this one:

The guy with 11 loaves?

I have to make sure I have what I'll need for the next 3 days.   I have a car.   Most of these folks drive SUVs now, so there is no rush for them.  When I had my Grand Cherokee (I miss it so much, it was too expensive on gas) I would always do my grocery shopping during the storm because there was hardly anyone else there.    

I think people saw what happened in New England last week and didn't want to get caught off-guard.   No big deal.   Planning ahead is a good thing. 

The probably I have is with the media always projecting the worst of it.    That can be dangerous.  I think a lot of people didn't evacuate New Orleans because they kept being told "this is the big one" and they were numb to it.  

The Detroit area was always going to be on the line between freezing so getting a precise prediction was going to be difficult, especially when you have a viewing area that covers Northern Macomb County down to Monroe County west to Livingston.  I'd rather they say 12 and we get 7 than to say we'll get 7 and end up with 12.  I'm amazed that they can even predict 5 days out that we'll get a storm when nothing is on the radar yet.  That's advanced technology.  We're spoiled that it's an issue that it's off by a few inches.

My dad's theory was to watch WGN and he'd say "What they got today we'll get tomorrow"  He also liked that they "showed more killings.  Coleman Young made them stop showing them here"

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

The Detroit area was always going to be on the line between freezing so getting a precise prediction was going to be difficult, especially when you have a viewing area that covers Northern Macomb County down to Monroe County west to Livingston.  I'd rather they say 12 and we get 7 than to say we'll get 7 and end up with 12.  I'm amazed that they can even predict 5 days out that we'll get a storm when nothing is on the radar yet.  That's advanced technology.  We're spoiled that it's an issue that it's off by a few inches.

My dad's theory was to watch WGN and he'd say "What they got today we'll get tomorrow"  He also liked that they "showed more killings.  Coleman Young made them stop showing them here"

I've never been under the impression that murders weren't covered enough in Detroit.   Chicago has more people = More killings. 

I think if you want the most accurate weather,  weather.gov.   NOAA doesn't sensationalize anything for ratings or clicks.  They don't care. 

i've spent the last three weeks watching Mid Atlantic storm systems and following a couple of companies who do forecasting on FB. Their biggest frustrations have been the way the various models have differed even 3 or 4 days out. You really can't get a good read until maybe 48 hours out or less.

7 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

i've spent the last three weeks watching Mid Atlantic storm systems and following a couple of companies who do forecasting on FB. Their biggest frustrations have been the way the various models have differed even 3 or 4 days out. You really can't get a good read until maybe 48 hours out or less.

it's looks like they have pared down the hourly forecasts on weather underground to something under 5" by mid-night.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:59 AM, CMRivdogs said:

Sorry, Had to rub it in a bit. After watching three weekends of snowmageddon only to see about three inches of the stuff that was easily taken care of by solar snow removal.

(The mess a few weeks ago doesn't count, we were too far south and in a bit of a snow/rain hole. I blame the I-95 fiasco on idiot truck drivers who always tend to drive to fast through that corridor.

Hang in there, stay safe..

It was well played, sir.

The original 12-18" (or was it 20"?) has been knocked down to only 10-14".  The changeover from rain to snow yesterday was later than anticipated.

I bet.

I just get annoyed by people complaining that others are doing the same thing they are doing... "I went to get Chicken and there wasn't any!  They took it all".  That's a real comment I saw on social media.  Yes.. it's called shopping.  Stores stock shelves and people buy it. Some people got to the chicken before you did.  That's allowed. They didn't do anything wrong.

I bet the difference was because of 1 degree.

Twice yesterday I went out and just moved some solid slush, but still slush, off the sidewalk and parts of the driveway.  The weird thing is across the street it wasn't slush.  Then around 1 or 2 it began to look like snow.  They got 12 inches not far west or north of us.

On Monday I bought a new 4 cycle blower.  My previous one was from 1998 and hadn't worked in 2 seasons so I figured it was time.  I did get to use it last night.  

22 minutes ago, oblong said:

Twice yesterday I went out and just moved some solid slush, but still slush, off the sidewalk and parts of the driveway.  The weird thing is across the street it wasn't slush.  Then around 1 or 2 it began to look like snow.  They got 12 inches not far west or north of us.

On Monday I bought a new 4 cycle blower.  My previous one was from 1998 and hadn't worked in 2 seasons so I figured it was time.  I did get to use it last night.  

Bingo.

We had precipitation all day yesterday, but it stayed warmer longer than was expected.  Rain was supposed to change over to snow around 10am here but that didn't happen until 4pm.  The rain never really let up between 10-4, so no doubt that would have been snow had it been colder.

Single stage snowblowers are simply worthless. Anything more than a couple inches of powdery snow, and it clogs like crazy. Being in NW Ohio though, the expense for a two-stage model is hard to justify. $1000 or more for something you pull out of the garage a couple times a year is just too much for me to swallow. So, I continue my battles with the clogs and end up shoveling the heavy stuff, which goes against the very point of owning a snow blower...

Oh, and don't get me started on the idiocy of buying a corner lot in a neighborhood. Moronic. I shouldn't have been allowed to have children...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, oblong said:

and we ended up with twice the depth on the lawn as on the sidewalk since the concrete held warmth so much longer. So the sidewalk now has an inch of frozen slush on it that the blower left behind.

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Single stage snowblowers are simply worthless. Anything more than a couple inches of powdery snow, and it clogs like crazy. Being in NW Ohio though, the expense for a two-stage model is hard to justify. $1000 or more for something you pull out of the garage a couple times a year is just too much for me to swallow. So, I continue my battles with the clogs and end up shoveling the heavy stuff, which goes against the very point of owning a snow blower...

Oh, and don't get me started on the idiocy of buying a corner lot in a neighborhood. Moronic. I shouldn't have been allowed to have children...

Every year when the leaves finally fall off the trees I regret not spending 2k on a riding mower with mulch blades and a double hopper on the back. Then I remember that I would use it two to three times a year because it isn't practical for my yard during mowing season because of the multiple (yes multiple) flower beds and trees in my backyard.

8 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I paid about $1000 for mine.  I figured I would need it eventually so why not now.   I see it as a 25 year purchase.  (If I get to retire in 15 years or so and move to warmer climates... see ya)  I'm 48.  I'm in good shape.  I work out 4-5 times a week with either weights or running.  My blood pressure is perfect.  But the wife saw a story about how shoveling is still bad for you the older you get and it made sense.  It doesn't just affect old and out of shape people.  

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and we ended up with twice the depth on the lawn as on the sidewalk since the concrete held warmth so much longer. So the sidewalk now has an inch of frozen slush on it that the blower left behind.

mine too.... I scraped it all off yesterday, used the blower last night.... came back over night.

31 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I didn't have too much of a problem with my single stage clogging this morning.  I had to pace myself a bit, especially at the end of the driveway, and I probably waited about as long as I could for round one.  But I got our drive & sidewalk and a couple of neighbors' walks.

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

I didn't have too much of a problem with my single stage clogging this morning.  I had to pace myself a bit, especially at the end of the driveway, and I probably waited about as long as I could for round one.  But I got our drive & sidewalk and a couple of neighbors' walks.

Same for the most this morning, except in a few spots that were especially "slushy" as well as the end of the driveway (which, again, are the spots that I really want the blower to do...).

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They said 12-16 inches on Tuesday

Drew & Mike Snow Total Formula.    Take the lower number of what the local news says and cut in half. 

Most of us got between 5 - 8 inches of snow.   

Drew & Mike for the win ---  again.  

Been listening to Drews podcast now after MANY years.