The pet peeve thread

36 minutes ago, oblong said:

I can't wait for the new place to open up next to CVS.  I used to go to the Pelham Market a lot too for quick one or two item things. But they had a dispute with The Vinery people, who own the building, so they kicked them out.  They were nice people.  Meat was a bit iffy but for things like pasta or whatever it was fine.  

Is this the folks from Pelham Market who own Daily Fresh?    

Nothing ever works in that location.   Nothing.    I hope they turn the tide and I hope they have good produce.   

I remember when that was a Farmer Jack. 

That is the stupidest parking lot ever.........the designer of the spaces was directionally challenged.  

No I don't think it's the same owners. 

Yes the parking lot is weird.  But the hot dog cart guy is back so once a week I walk over to get one.

Have you tried the new Bagel place in the Iceburg location?  They are sharing the space.  We've had it twice.  Very good.  They sell bagels in the morning before the Iceburg people take over.

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

No I don't think it's the same owners. 

Yes the parking lot is weird.  But the hot dog cart guy is back so once a week I walk over to get one.

Have you tried the new Bagel place in the Iceburg location?  They are sharing the space.  We've had it twice.  Very good.  They sell bagels in the morning before the Iceburg people take over.

I have yet to enter the Iceburg.  I thought it was an ice cream place, the sign makes it look that way, but it's a burger place, right?     I love bagels, but I am avoiding them,  I am trying to lay off bread a little bit.   

40 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I have yet to enter the Iceburg.  I thought it was an ice cream place, the sign makes it look that way, but it's a burger place, right?     I love bagels, but I am avoiding them,  I am trying to lay off bread a little bit.   

They have burgers.  That's the focus.  The guy basically said they replaced the alcohol with ice cream.   They live in the neighborhood, he's also a pharmacist.  They wanted a place they could take their kids to.  Not everyone wants to, or can for religious/custom reasons, go to a place that is primarily a bar.  The burgers were very good. Nice people.  Kind of a limited menu as they want to focus on smaller things and get it right.   They own the day care place next door and in conversations with JP, the owner of the former JP's they eventually came to an agreement to buy it.  Seems to do well. 

On 5/16/2022 at 9:31 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Daily Fresh opened today.   Soft opening.........Not 100% up yet.  

Wow, just saw the result on the news of a fatal collision on I-94 at Oakwood today around 5:15. An SUV was travelling East at a high rate of speed and crossed over into the WB lanes. I don't know how many people were killed. On office days (like today) I usually leave at 5pm and that puts me right there at 5:15 (Oakwood is my exit). Today I needed to finish up some paperwork so I left at 5:40. I saw the break lights and bailed at Ford Rd today having no idea how bad it really was.  .

First thought is someone was playing on their phone or texting while driving on a freeway. It's always the first thought. Maybe that's not the case, but I'm an old guy, I don't understand the constant need to text people. I think for some it's like a drug addiction and if you took their phone away from them, they'd probably react like someone with DTs. I prefer to turn the music up and that is a distraction too, but at least I'm looking at the fucking road.    The internet has rewired brains to the point where it's all about that dopamine rush from getting a "like" or a retweet or a click.    People are like Pavlov's Dog with their cellphones.  The technology has advance so much faster than our brain's ability to understand that we're just lost now.  i use a cellphone, in moderation.   Most of the time it's not even in the same room as me.  I like the ability to find a song instantly or look up facts or even stats, but the constant selfies and texting?  No thanks, leave me alone for awhile.  We're dealing with an entire generation of narcissists who want everything right this second because of the internet and social media. As they get older a rude awakening is coming to them.  

I have heard that you can survive as long as 2 - 3 waking hours without texting.     

Edited by Motor City Sonics

every single light i am stopped at, if I am in my truck, I look around and half the people are playing on their phones.  pay attention now to when the light turns green and it takes longer for everyone to pass through.  Because 2 or 3 of the people in line are looking at  their phone and don't notice the light turns green.

I can report the same shit happens in Ypsi/Arbor.   A lot.

I'm extremely impatient person so maybe this is a me problem, but I can't understand people who wait at a light and then aren't eager AF to go once it's green.   

Between driving and grocery store I could go on for quite a while ranting but alas I think that happened on the old board. 

15 minutes ago, pfife said:

I'm extremely impatient person so maybe this is a me problem, but I can't understand people who wait at a light and then aren't eager AF to go once it's green.   

Between driving and grocery store I could go on for quite a while ranting but alas I think that happened on the old board. 

Revisit it along with the McDonald's double drive through. It was a great read.

4 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Revisit it along with the McDonald's double drive through. It was a great read.

hahahahahahaha yep, total classic.  I also love the Costco Gas Station stuff.   This is a bat signal to Shelton!  

Sadly, the infamous McDonalds that was discussed in that thread has shut down.  I don't think there are any vestiges of the double drivethrough paint & signage left for us to go and have an objective investigation!   

21 minutes ago, pfife said:

I have a dash cam,  I should post me ranting while driving.  i'll be honest, it feels good.   

2 other pet peeves is when the light turns green, why do people have to accelerate so slowly?   Speed Limit is 40, but they have to drive 20 for half a mile.   Man, I'm at 40 in 1/10 of a mile........maybe not even that far.    GO

Another thing is lets say you are in a long line and you are 6th or 7th in line and the light turns green.  Why do some people need 10 car lengths to go?   If you just shorten to 3 car lengths between the cars (and that is still too much for me),  you can probably get at least 5 more cars through the light.  

As far as cellphone drivers,  I can spot 'em a mile away now.  Can't stay in their lane, driving too slow, not reacting to anything else on the road.   I stay as far away from them as possible.     but that is getting harder to do. 

still don't know the cause, I read somewhere the SUV was trying to avoid hitting 2 motorcycles because they didn't see them,  which makes me believe they weren't looking up. 

32 minutes ago, oblong said:

every single light i am stopped at, if I am in my truck, I look around and half the people are playing on their phones.  pay attention now to when the light turns green and it takes longer for everyone to pass through.  Because 2 or 3 of the people in line are looking at  their phone and don't notice the light turns green.

Dude, I've seen people with their cellphones attached to their sun visor watching movies while driving down the freeway. 

PREACH MCS!

The two you mentioned about stoplights are two that drive me completely crazy too.

I'm also over people who "let people in" esp if they're turning Left.   I actually did that a few weeks ago against my better judgment and the dude got into an accident.   I didn't even realize it until a couple seconds afterwards but I let gave him space to turn left and he cut across our 2 lanes then blasted someone driving in the left turn lane.  It wasn't my fault obv, but I'm done letting that happen.   It's too dangerous.

People who let in 1 person while 47 people wait behind them while they let that person in also drive me crazy.  People actually design where 4 way stops are based on traffic patterns.

My new favorite is going into my daughters school we now have people who will stop and not turn right into the school in order to let people who are turning left into the school turn in, and there are no stop signs/ lights at the entrance.   A couple days ago I watched someone just whip around the person "kindly" waiting for hte person to turn left and turn around them and I cheered loudly.

I get that people are trying to be polite but this really causes more cluster than it helps.  

Edited by pfife

MCS might appreciate this but the intersection of Telegraph and Van Born, going west on Van Born... the light stays green for 5 seconds.  I counted.  It's especially aggravating for me because my special needs son gets very very upset if the lights turn red too soon.  LIke Rain Man mad.  When we go to my mom's house that's how I go.  Construction on Telegraph is bad.  It's a Sunday around 12:30 so traffic isnt heavy.... but you know I am scoping out the cars as I approach the intersection trying to judge the idiots.  Light turns green and inevitably someone either just simply takes their foot off the brake and starts coasting along, instead of flooring it like you are supposed to do, or they are looking at their texts.  So then 2 or 3 cars can't make it through because Alyssa just had to see that tiktok video.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

MCS might appreciate this but the intersection of Telegraph and Van Born, going west on Van Born... the light stays green for 5 seconds.  I counted.  It's especially aggravating for me because my special needs son gets very very upset if the lights turn red too soon.  LIke Rain Man mad.  When we go to my mom's house that's how I go.  Construction on Telegraph is bad.  It's a Sunday around 12:30 so traffic isnt heavy.... but you know I am scoping out the cars as I approach the intersection trying to judge the idiots.  Light turns green and inevitably someone either just simply takes their foot off the brake and starts coasting along, instead of flooring it like you are supposed to do, or they are looking at their texts.  So then 2 or 3 cars can't make it through because Alyssa just had to see that tiktok video.

Now that we have an ALDI on The Hill, I have no reason to go near Telegraph & Van Born.  

My mom goes to the little grocery store on Van Born west of Telegraph..........She takes Annapolis to Beech Daly and avoids the intersection you are talking about.  

Just south of there on Telegraph sits the Gardner White cop, nabbing people still going I-94 speed.  All day...........

Then in our neighborhood on the Fern St. overpass cops used to sit there all the time picking off drivers on Southfield with his radar gun.  My friends and I called it "The Fern Street Sniper".    But I don't see them there anymore......

And message to Wayne County, Allen Park, whomever.  Why can't you figure out how to make the road last at Outer Drive entrance of The Hill?    They fix it, it falls apart in a week.    Come on, I know they can do better than that, just spend the money and fix it right.   The Southfield service drive - behind ALDI and Five Guys and next to Lowe's........that right lane is a winner.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

28 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Does it make me a bad person because when I see/read stories about big cities that were built in deserts are starting to freak out because they are running out of water sources doesn't bother me?    What did you think would happen?   

Except they won't run out of water. Your tax dollars and mine will fund some massive project to get them water. Part of the American way is that no-one is ever required to pay the price for prior stupid policy decisions - except us.

Edited by gehringer_2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 7:23 AM, oblong said:

Somebody once told me, unapologetically, that her thing at stoplights is to keep looking at her phone, not paying attention to the light, until someone behinds them honks. That’s when she knows the light has turned. She thought it was clever. Maybe she’s changed her mind since, who knows.

On 5/21/2022 at 12:19 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Except they won't run out of water. Your tax dollars and mine will fund some massive project to get them water. Part of the American way is that no-one is ever required to pay the price for prior stupid policy decisions - except us.

I have actually wondered whether it would make sense to pump Great Lakes water out west to the desert population there, to help alleviate their lack-of-water situation. I have long thought if this could be done, it could really help not only their water drought situation, but it also help alleviate revenue shortfalls in the rust belt Great Lakes states.

The average household uses 138 gallons of water a day, or a little over 50,000 gallons a year. There are 30 million households living in the southwest desert area. There is an estimated 6 quadrillion gallons of water in the Great Lakes. If we could pump enough water from here to there to irrigate every household in the desert for a whole year, that would amount to just 0.025% of the total water in the Great Lakes. So it’s not as though we couldn’t spare it.

I know it’s 1,500 miles from here to the southwest desert, but come on, it’s the 21st century, we can figure this out.

Get ‘er done! 😁

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I have actually wondered whether it would make sense to pump Great Lakes water out west to the desert population there, to help alleviate their lack-of-water situation. I have long thought if this could be done, it could really help not only their water drought situation, but it also help alleviate revenue shortfalls in the rust belt Great Lakes states.

The average household uses 138 gallons of water a day, or a little over 50,000 gallons a year. There are 30 million households living in the southwest desert area. There is an estimated 6 quadrillion gallons of water in the Great Lakes. If we could pump enough water from here to there to irrigate every household in the desert for a whole year, that would amount to just 0.025% of the total water in the Great Lakes. So it’s not as though we couldn’t spare it.

I know it’s 1,500 miles from here to the southwest desert, but come on, it’s the 21st century, we can figure this out.

Get ‘er done! 😁

Great Lakes states have a compact and treaty with Canada all to prevent diversion of GL water out of the basin. I believe the Chicago river is the only bexception and they argue about how much water can go there.

Edited by gehringer_2

45 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Get ‘er done! 😁

Individual houses use almost no water compared to agriculture and industry.  That Foxconn factory that was supposed to be built in Wisconsin filed for a permit to draw water from Lake Michigan.  They wanted to draw 7 million gallons per day.  Some of it was set to be returned to the lake.  But I imagine they were still going to use millions of gallons per day.

so of course, hottest day of the year yesterday, AC compressor would not turn on. Of course by that time it was way too hot to go into the attic to check the wiring. So this this morning's project was discovering that I need a new 'sail' switch (it detects whether the blower has turned on so the compressor doesn't just ice up the coils in stagnant air). Jumper that baby out and spend $15 at Amazon.

Home ownership sucks. Amazon is great. 

Edited by gehringer_2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 10:34 AM, gehringer_2 said:

so of course, hottest day of the year yesterday, AC compressor would not turn on. Of course by that time it was way too hot to go into the attic to check the wiring. So this this morning's project was discovering that I need a new 'sail' switch (it detects whether the blower has turned on so the compressor doesn't just ice up the coils in stagnant air). Jumper that baby out and spend $15 at Amazon.

Home ownership sucks. Amazon is great. 

I wish I could feel comfortable doing anything electrical. Our relatively new HVAC does not have a hard start kit. They cost $50 and under on Amazon. I’m paying the installing company $279 to do it.