The pet peeve thread

On 8/24/2022 at 11:32 AM, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Disagree. Sat behind a family with three older boys (early 20s) at a Pirates-Brewers game. The oldest had done some stupid parlay, where he needed Brewers to win, Adames to homer and something else. The homer and the "something else" happened pretty early, so all he needed was for the Brewers to hang on in a game they were already winning 3-0. Bottom of six comes and Pirates get two guys on.  Youngest brother says "I don't know man, I feel a Oneil Cruz homer here..."  Two pitches later, POW. Three run homer for Cruz. LOL! Older brother starts to lose his mind, while the youngest howls with laughter. Pirates scored two more runs and went on to win 5-3.

It provided boundless entertainment for me, as well as a life lesson in sports gambling for my 17 year old. 🤣

Semi-related to this, talking about your sports bets is the new talking about your fantasy teams.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Semi-related to this, talking about your sports bets is the new talking about your fantasy teams.

Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  Or poker games.  Or golf games.

The only time it's relevant is if it relates to something else.  For example my season ticket buddy had Lions seats for years, going back to the 80's.  He finally gave them up a few years ago.  This year he got them again.  He told me about this back in June.  Flash forward to July and I bring it up again and he says "Yeah but dude... I bet on that guy to win the British Open.... total luck pick"  That paid for his seats.

He will ask me at games to check other scores b/c we can't see the scoreboard from our seats.  He bets about $100 a day and claims to be up overall a few grand since he started.  He quit smoking during the pandemic after 2 heart attacks so he spends that money on bets.

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I admit to being guilty about the fantasy teams, or at least a few years ago. It would drive my wife crazy when we would talk about players while watching a game. I looked at is as a time to bond. 

It took many years, but I believe the FCC finally forced radio stations to stop broadcasting commercials at higher audio levels than their regular programming - but now the practice has just moved to steaming services. The commercials in the Tiger game day stream are running at least 12db higher than Dan's mike in the booth, to the point where if I the cut the volume to 'bearable' for the spots, I literally can't hear Dan at all. The increasing severity of this practice has actually driven me back to listening on broadcast radio despite the greater convenience of using the stream. However today's game on AM an my house is out of range for 1270 AM.  

😡 😡 😡 😡 😡

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It took many years, but I believe the FCC finally forced radio stations to stop broadcasting commercials at higher audio levels than their regular programming - but now the practice has just moved to steaming services. The commercials in the Tiger game day stream are running at least 12db higher than Dan's mike in the booth, to the point where if I the cut the volume to 'bearable' for the spots, I literally can't hear Dan at all. The increasing severity of this practice has actually driven me back to listening on broadcast radio despite the greater convenience of using the stream. However today's game on AM an my house is out of range for 1270 AM.  

😡 😡 😡 😡 😡

That might have a lot to do with the processing actually.   The broadcast of the game is coming from one place and the commercials are coming from somewhere else and radio has added secondary filters to process the sound.  They now have their signal processed to sound good over a radio and the streaming version, which usually runs different commercials is processed to run on smaller speakers or headphones.  The commercials are often coming from a third party server who does not have special processing to make it sound better on the smaller speakers or headphones, so it comes out as overbearing.    It's not intentional, but it's also fixable but nobody is in a rush to fix it. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

😡 😡 😡 😡 😡

Oh, and the commercials on TV and cable that are not supposed to be louder?   There's a catch to that.  The first second of audio is not supposed to be louder, so the transition is not so startling.  The rest of the ad can be louder though.  They did cut down the amount of higher volume it could be, but it's still there, advertisers have a lot of pull.  

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Oh, and the commercials on TV and cable that are not supposed to be louder?   There's a catch to that.  The first second of audio is not supposed to be louder, so the transition is not so startling.  The rest of the ad can be louder though.  They did cut down the amount of higher volume it could be, but it's still there, advertisers have a lot of pull.  

I assume I can configure an audio compressor on the Mac I use for streaming but I haven't run it down yet as I had dropped back to the live broadcasts. That other thing with gameday that has reduced its appeal is that they are about 45 sec delayed this year. I suppose the delay may be my provider instead of gameday's fault, but that makes no difference in the end.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Here's a Pet Peeve that I think is universal. When you break out the grey duct tape and try to find the line where the end of it is. Then you have to try to pull the tape without ripping the tape (ripping it lengthwise). it's very frustrating.

You can rip or use scissors to cut the tape. I use scissors.  Once cut, fold about 1/4 inch over at the end you cut off.  Problem solved.

I call it hundred mile an hour tape.  Some of the greatest shit ever known to mankind.

47 minutes ago, Screwball said:

You can rip or use scissors to cut the tape. I use scissors.  Once cut, fold about 1/4 inch over at the end you cut off.  Problem solved.

OMG.. I do that too.
But I actually thought I invented that hack. LOL just my delusions of grandeur. 😂

On 8/28/2022 at 6:21 PM, smr-nj said:

OMG.. I do that too.
But I actually thought I invented that hack. LOL just my delusions of grandeur. 😂

Speaking of peeves....the word "hack".  When did a good tip become a "hack"?  Back in the day a hack was someone who could not do a good job and had to "hack it".

5 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Speaking of peeves....the word "hack".  When did a good tip become a "hack"?  Back in the day a hack was someone who could not do a good job and had to "hack it".

I think that came with the video game generation, who would learn how to hack into games to figure out new/easier ways to do stuff.

A bigger and bigger Pet Peeve is having to listen about poor Phoenix and Las Vegas running out of water.  WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU THINK WOULD HAPPEN?     

To paraphrase Sam Kinison............YOU LIVE IN A FUCKING DESERT..........AHHHH...........Come here, come here, you see this, this is sand, you know what it's going to be 100 years from now............SAND !  AHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHH

• Haha 2

I always thought the idea of living on an island and taking a boat into the main land where my car was parked would be a cool thing.  I wonder how long it would remain cool before I got completely sick of it?  I like to think I never would, because I love being on the water, but a part of me thinks I would get sick of it after awhile.

NOTE: this is a grammar pet peeve, not a political pet peeve …

In this morning’s paper, Clarance Page wrote of Biden’s speech this week: “Like Biden I know that all Republicans are not MAGA-red-to-the-bone Trump loyalists.”

So, are you saying no Republicans are that? That all, meaning 100%, of Republicans are definitely not that?

Or did you mean to say “Not all Republicans are MAGA-red-to-the-bone Trump loyalists”?

And this guy writes for a living …

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

In this morning’s paper, Clarance Page wrote of Biden’s speech this week: “Like Biden I know that all Republicans are not MAGA-red-to-the-bone Trump loyalists.”

So, are you saying no Republicans are that? That all, meaning 100%, of Republicans are definitely not that?

Or did you mean to say “Not all Republicans are MAGA-red-to-the-bone Trump loyalists”?

well nailed ambiguity! Not incorrect usage per se, but sloppy. That's the thing with English - you can get away with a lot of sloppy syntax since so much is inferrable from context. But just because you can.....

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Copy editors…. That’s the downfall. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

well nailed ambiguity! Not incorrect usage per se, but sloppy. That's the thing with English - you can get away with a lot of sloppy syntax since so much is inferrable from context. But just because you can.....

If it's not considered incorrect, I would think at one time it was, but this usage has become so ubiquitous that no one notices it anymore.

54 minutes ago, oblong said:

Copy editors…. That’s the downfall. 

I would guess copy editors don't look for this at all.