The pet peeve thread

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a Republican because that would be gross, but..........

If someone is still Unemployed and able-bodied right now, they should be cut off.    There are so many companies trying to hire and yes, some of the jobs suck, but that's no excuse.   I'm 57 and I had to work a lot of shitty jobs before I got the ones that fit well.   I currently work for a hospital and for two radio stations. This is possible because I can do it from home.  The jobs are not physically demanding but I work a lot of hours

Try going to a chain grocery store on the weekend.  First I saw the line at Meijer in Allen Park - for the self-scanning registers.............the lines were all the way to the back of the store and they just doubled the number of self-scanners.  So I went to Kroger and it was even worse.  They hardly have anybody working there, and they are BEGGING people to work.  Paying much better than 3 years ago too.    No excuse to be healthy and not be working at this point. 

When you agree to pick up a friend at the CTA station to take them to the airport at 11, and they show up at your house 15 minutes earlier instead. You have to make them wait around for ten or so minutes while you get all the things done you needed to do before you were going to leave to get them at the station.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in Delaware watching an Orioles game on the hotel TV. It’s bad enough that they run Draft Kings advertising literally every inning break. It’s doubly worse that it is the same spot over and over. It’s like I’m watching an MLB.tv stream rather than one of the top RSNs in the country. 

On 8/2/2022 at 9:31 AM, chasfh said:

Zipper merge works great if everyone accepts the concept of late merging. But not only is that not the case, many early mergers are religiously fervent about everyone has to get over out of the lane that’s closing at the first sign, usually a mile or mile and a half away, because it’s only fair. My younger brother is that guy and he’s very adamant about it. Plus, every once in a while, you will see someone playing Corporal Lapdog, using their car to block the lane that’s closing so that no one can drive all the way to the end and late merge because, I guess, they think they’re helping maintain societal law and order or something. 

I can admit that this used to be me. Now I get angry at those people that are doing nothing but artificially moving the merge point way back from where it should be. 

I've done a lot of roads trips over the last month, so I can't remember where I saw it, but they actually had signs telling people that a lane closure was coming but NOT to merge yet. Then at the last 1000 feet or so, there was a "zipper now" sign. There wasn't much traffic at the time, so I can't really say if the signage really helped at all, but I thought it was a great idea.

• Like 1

Baseball players popping up from a slide after getting called out IMMEDIATELY looking over and doing the ear phone thing to have the dugout look...especially when it was obvious they were out.  Baez does it a ton and I hate it.  Do you think the coach is not looking at it?  It is like "no way I did something wrong here or got caught...you better check that!"  It makes me cringe every time I see a player do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I can admit that this used to be me. Now I get angry at those people that are doing nothing but artificially moving the merge point way back from where it should be. 

I've done a lot of roads trips over the last month, so I can't remember where I saw it, but they actually had signs telling people that a lane closure was coming but NOT to merge yet. Then at the last 1000 feet or so, there was a "zipper now" sign. There wasn't much traffic at the time, so I can't really say if the signage really helped at all, but I thought it was a great idea.

You know what else works great?  Simply getting over when you see the signs that a lane is closing instead of racing up to the front...just a thought.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing a "zipper merge" sign somewheres this year, also.  New York state?  Pennsylvania?

17 hours ago, chasfh said:

I’m in Delaware watching an Orioles game on the hotel TV. It’s bad enough that they run Draft Kings advertising literally every inning break. It’s doubly worse that it is the same spot over and over. It’s like I’m watching an MLB.tv stream rather than one of the top RSNs in the country. 

Have you heard the gambling sports shows? I don't even know who produces them - maybe Bet MGM? They're awful. It's full volume - talking really only about the bets. I usually wouldn't care but our lone sports station Up North takes CBS Sports radio off the air every afternoon/evening & puts this crap on.

5 hours ago, djhutch said:

Have you heard the gambling sports shows? I don't even know who produces them - maybe Bet MGM? They're awful. It's full volume - talking really only about the bets. I usually wouldn't care but our lone sports station Up North takes CBS Sports radio off the air every afternoon/evening & puts this crap on.

Podcasts.

• Like 1

In the last week I've had a massive uptick in Scam calls.   Anyone else

I think what might have happened is I just got a new roof put on the house and had to get some financing for it and I am guessing my phone number got thrown out there into the scamverse.     I should get an airhorn and blow their ears out. 

Hi, I am Woman With American Accent calling about Social Security, our records show that blah blah blah.  Press 1 to learn more.     (now I know it's a scam, but I press 1 out of curiosity) - and wouldn't you know,  no more American accent.    

Occasionally I will get jobs to voice things like training videos or even phone menus  "Press 1 to be put on hold even longer".  "If you're looking for something different for lunch, try Millie's American Bistro, just 200 feet from the Lake Street station"............  I wonder if the voiceover people they use for these scams even know that their voices are being used to scam people? 

I used to get a call with a recording of Jamie Dimon from Chase Bank.    Only thing is that they pronounce Dimon wrong.  Might be a hint something ain't right ?  

On 8/17/2022 at 2:56 PM, djhutch said:

Just annoying as hell.   I gamble on sports myself (but lightly, $10 a time),  the people on these shows all sound like degenerate gamblers and I always wonder if they are so fucking good at this, why are they working for a living?    And as fun as it has been to even gamble a little bit, the explosion of this has made sports less enjoyable.  

• Like 1

It's the police fund scams that get me most angry. Some older guy in a "call center" boiler room looking for donations for some "benevolent" fund. When I ask how much actually goes to the officers in need they get defensive. That's about the time I say "I hope you enjoy your steak knives and hang up"

The other ones are the "Amazon" calls about a major purchase. They need to verify your credit card. "Which card" jibberish..."Can you give me the last 4 numbers?" Then I tell them to call my accountant...1-800 438-3825..push 3

22 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And as fun as it has been to even gamble a little bit, the explosion of this has made sports less enjoyable.  

Disagree. Sat behind a family with three older boys (early 20s) at a Pirates-Brewers game. The oldest had done some stupid parlay, where he needed Brewers to win, Adames to homer and something else. The homer and the "something else" happened pretty early, so all he needed was for the Brewers to hang on in a game they were already winning 3-0. Bottom of six comes and Pirates get two guys on.  Youngest brother says "I don't know man, I feel a Oneil Cruz homer here..."  Two pitches later, POW. Three run homer for Cruz. LOL! Older brother starts to lose his mind, while the youngest howls with laughter. Pirates scored two more runs and went on to win 5-3.

It provided boundless entertainment for me, as well as a life lesson in sports gambling for my 17 year old. 🤣

Edited by Shades of Deivi Cruz

people actually answer their phones when it's a number they don't recognize?

I just hit the button.  If I do answer as soon as I hear a delay or unfamiliair voice I just hang up.

I get a text every few days from a number that just says "Hi".  I reply back with a photo of a drunk shirtless guy I took at the Def Leppard/Crue concert.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

I just hit the button.  If I do answer as soon as I hear a delay or unfamiliair voice I just hang up.

I get a text every few days from a number that just says "Hi".  I reply back with a photo of a drunk shirtless guy I took at the Def Leppard/Crue concert.

I had that argument with a former doctor (he fired me). I was expecting a call from a speciality pharmacy, no call, no message. When he asked how I was handling the drug I told him I was still waiting for the call. He gave me a lecture about always answering phones on a strange number, my reply was if it was important they'd leave a message. He wasn't pleased. 

It was one of several problems we had with each other (my wife asked too many questions)

It turns out his assistant never followed thru with sending information to the pharmacy. 

I almost never answer my personal phone.  I have like 2-3 people I will answer my phone for and that is about it.  Unless I am expecting a call because of an email.  I prefer everything in writing so I do not have to rely on remembering what was talked about.  Send me an email, if it is important it will be there forever for me to look back on.

9 hours ago, oblong said:

Ever notice that there is a little type of bloop sound?   That's triggered when someone actually answers.   I answer because I am wondering if someone with an American accent will ever take the call.   Never happens.    Sometimes I like to fuck with them a little.   They'll give you a little schpeel about my car warrantee about to expire and then they'll ask about the model of the car and I will say "well, you should know that, you called me, you said it was about to expire".    Sometimes I will answer in a strange accent myself and there are other times I will say "you're calling a prison........we can set up a room for you if you'd like".

• Like 1