The pet peeve thread

• 1 month later...

and there it is.....   at the local wendy's drive through, which now has 2 speakers for ordering.... I'm in the inside lane, lady on the outside lane accuses me of cutting her off b/c I had the audacity to take my turn in the zipper merge.    Is it actually the case that people on the outside lane get to determine when people on the inside lane get their turn to merge back in?  

F bombs may have been exchanged.....

cc:  @Shelton @Biff Mayhem to laugh at me

• Haha 1

Why are people in such a hurry?  They act like somebody's going to steal their shit.

When I travel I get a kick out people watching.  "Hurry up to wait" is the mantra.  Gotta run down to the gate so I can sit around.  Gotta stand up and near the 'line' even though its not my turn to board yet, the plane might take off without me!"  Then plane lands and you gotta jump up and get your bag because someone might take it even though nobody's going anywhere for a few minutes.  Run down to the luggage claim so you can stare at an empty conveyor belt before anyone else does.

I don't offer much life advice to my 21 year old son but last year I told him "Don't ever be the guy running in the airport".

17 minutes ago, pfife said:

and there it is.....   at the local wendy's drive through, which now has 2 speakers for ordering.... I'm in the inside lane, lady on the outside lane accuses me of cutting her off b/c I had the audacity to take my turn in the zipper merge.    Is it actually the case that people on the outside lane get to determine when people on the inside lane get their turn to merge back in?  

F bombs may have been exchanged.....

cc:  @Shelton @Biff Mayhem to laugh at me

Next time that happens,  tell the person in the cashier window that you are paying it forward and want to pay for the car behind you.    When you get to the pickup window tell them you ordered both and leave with their food.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, pfife said:

I think these double lanes and lack of direction/signage are going to lead to incidents that end up being worse than mine.

relying on goodwill and people to just "figure it out on their own" is a lost cause now.  Either go when you can, like if the other car is still at the window, or just alternate like normal human beings would think to do.  "Take turns".  Remember that in kindegarden?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

relying on goodwill and people to just "figure it out on their own" is a lost cause now.  Either go when you can, like if the other car is still at the window, or just alternate like normal human beings would think to do.  "Take turns".  Remember that in kindegarden?

well said bro.   You can't rely on folks to have basic kindergarten level decency.

ETA:  I have a hard time believing that the design of the remerge was that the person in the outside lane just decides whether or not to let the inside lane in.  Maybe I'm wrong.  If so I'll always be on the outside and no one will ever get in before me LOL.

Edited by pfife

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

Why are people in such a hurry?  They act like somebody's going to steal their shit.

When I travel I get a kick out people watching.  "Hurry up to wait" is the mantra.  Gotta run down to the gate so I can sit around.  Gotta stand up and near the 'line' even though its not my turn to board yet, the plane might take off without me!"  Then plane lands and you gotta jump up and get your bag because someone might take it even though nobody's going anywhere for a few minutes.  Run down to the luggage claim so you can stare at an empty conveyor belt before anyone else does.

I don't offer much life advice to my 21 year old son but last year I told him "Don't ever be the guy running in the airport".

unless you are the couple whose plane is an hour late on a connection that was scheduled for a 1:20 hr layover two terminals over....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chic. fil a here has drive thru management down to a science. Two lanes with order takers before you hit the speaker most of the time. There have also been times when your order is delivered to you before you hit the window. There is even an older gentleman out directing drive thru traffic during peak hours.

One of the busier ones just tore down their old store, bought the Burger King next door and is completing a restaurant with a kitchen dedicated to the drive thru line.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

We've gotten to the place where only tragedy can make us forget ourselves & put others first - & I think that only happens on a local level.  Nationally, I don't think we could agree on a course of action for anything.

Edited by djhutch

I believe the science.  But I think the real culprits in the zipper merge are not the people who drive up to the end.  It's the people in the other lanes who keep switching because "That one's moving".   Then that lane stops and the other starts moving and then they move back.   Just stay where you are and it'll work itself out and nobody really gains anything.  But that goes back to my point earlier where people are impatient and so afraid that someone else might "get there first".  

• Like 1

I get all that. My biggest complaint is when there is no congestion, and the folks coming on to the expressway insist on doing 45 until the merge lane ends. They have enough time to enter the highway if they would just accelerate to the proper speed. Otherwise the car in the right lane is usually forced to slow to let them in at the end of the lane. Especially when the left lane is occupied.  

Hopefully that makes sense 

26 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I get all that. My biggest complaint is when there is no congestion, and the folks coming on to the expressway insist on doing 45 until the merge lane ends. They have enough time to enter the highway if they would just accelerate to the proper speed. Otherwise the car in the right lane is usually forced to slow to let them in at the end of the lane. Especially when the left lane is occupied.  

Hopefully that makes sense 

If no one is ahead of me, I get the car up to at least 60, preferably 70, while on the ramp so I can comfortably merge in at freeway speeds at the first opportunity. Not only do I not go all the way to the end of the acceleration lane, but if I do see an opening, I will cross over the channelizing lines (before the ramp becomes the acceleration lane) to get onto the freeway. This is especially true if, to CMRivdogs’s point, the guy I am following onto the freeway is still going 30 or 35 even when approaching the acceleration lane.

That's why 3 lane urban freeways are the worst.  The right lane is out b/c of the very short entrance ramps.  Trucks don't drive in that lane for that reason, they can't stop/accelerate consistently to avoid disaster.  So they clog up the center lane and with advanced tracking can't go too fast or else they get in trouble.  That leaves the left lane for "normal" driving.  Well... add one idiot into that and you have a clustermuck.

45 minutes ago, oblong said:

zipper merge

Zipper merge works great if everyone accepts the concept of late merging. But not only is that not the case, many early mergers are religiously fervent about everyone has to get over out of the lane that’s closing at the first sign, usually a mile or mile and a half away, because it’s only fair. My younger brother is that guy and he’s very adamant about it. Plus, every once in a while, you will see someone playing Corporal Lapdog, using their car to block the lane that’s closing so that no one can drive all the way to the end and late merge because, I guess, they think they’re helping maintain societal law and order or something. 

On 7/29/2022 at 1:44 PM, gehringer_2 said:

unless you are the couple whose plane is an hour late on a connection that was scheduled for a 1:20 hr layover two terminals over....

You've flown thru Dallas too?  Or if you're at DTW you land at A72 and your connecting gate is C1

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

That's why 3 lane urban freeways are the worst.  The right lane is out b/c of the very short entrance ramps.  Trucks don't drive in that lane for that reason, they can't stop/accelerate consistently to avoid disaster.  So they clog up the center lane and with advanced tracking can't go too fast or else they get in trouble.  That leaves the left lane for "normal" driving.  Well... add one idiot into that and you have a clustermuck.

It's two lanes thru here now, with talk about widening it in the not too distant future. The biggest problem, I think, is the combination of truck traffic, regular commuters, and throw in tourists. So you've got a lot of folks really not familiar with the area trying to figure out where to go combined with long haul regulars, military, and the regular retirees who live here.