The pet peeve thread

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Stop trying to force Microsoft Edge on me.  I don't want it and I never clicked on it, but yet it keeps opening.  

A couple of Microsoft Store apps on my Win10 machine default to opening links in Edge, and I don’t think that can be changed.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit PO’d at Amazon this morning. My wife ordered a set of mugs recently. They are clear glass, pretty heavy. Something we can use for company. The first set arrived and one was broken. Not just cracked but it looked like someone had tried a three point shot when packing it. After dealing with trying to get a live customer service person, they agreed to send a replacement set. Not one cup, but four. OK, no big deal.  They arrived Sunday, when we opened them, two were smashed, lots of small shards in the bottom of the box.

I think we’ll quit while we’re ahead.

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

A bit PO’d at Amazon this morning. My wife ordered a set of mugs recently. They are clear glass, pretty heavy. Something we can use for company. The first set arrived and one was broken. Not just cracked but it looked like someone had tried a three point shot when packing it. After dealing with trying to get a live customer service person, they agreed to send a replacement set. Not one cup, but four. OK, no big deal.  They arrived Sunday, when we opened them, two were smashed, lots of small shards in the bottom of the box.

wow.

I ordered an audio cable last week.  One of those things I would have gone to Radio Shack for.  I am working from home and like my TV on and wanted to wire it up to my small speaker next to my desk.  Supposed to get it Saturday, got an email it would come on Sunday.  It did.  Then on Monday I got another one, the box was all smashed up. That went into my tub that has tons of old wires/cables in it that my wife wants me to throw away.

6 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Quick update. My wife provided feedback on the condition of the deliveries. The seller messaged her back “you ordered 4, you received 5, we consider the order fulfilled. They’re right but it seemed a bit snarkey. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at reviews for electric snow blowers.  It is truly unbelievable how many people rate it before they even tried using it on snow and admit it in the reviews.  Thanks for making the aggregate scores useless you jabronies.   

Looking forward to winter to try this blower out. Impressed with construction and design. Everything I have read leads me to believe actual experience will be good

Runs and operates well. Bought out of season, waiting for snow.

Since I bought my EGO it hasn't snowed. Keep it up EGO!!

Our EGO snowblower is all set for the onset of winter weather! The instructions for set up and charging of batteries were easy to follow and understand. Our snowblower was in perfect condition as we unpacked it and the only assembly required was to attach the chute to the snowblower. This was done quickly. Our purchase was based on a recommendation from a family member who purchased her EGO snowblower last season and spoke positively about its performance.

Assembly was very easy & start up was also quick. Don't know how well it blows snow as we don't have any as yet. Email back in December & I can more than likely tell you thAT.

Edited by pfife
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pull up to pump at moderately busy gas/convenience store (Sheetz/Wawa). Middle age woman is finishing pumping, no problem, nothing else is open without driving way around. She finishes, gets back in car, then spends the next five minutes rearranging her purse (which is larger than most carry on bags I've seen at the airport) before pulling out. At least I missed the rummaging thru the bag for her wallet and studying the gas options.

This isn't the first time this has happened. Very frustrating. 

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

... haven't hooked the TV up yet, but I'm very happy with my
purchase so far!

1 person found this review helpful

The other fun one along the review line is the internet recipe review from the cook who simply loved the recipe and then proceeds to describe the 8 or 10 changes they made that meant they actually cooked up a completely different dish.

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2021 at 9:25 PM, CMRivdogs said:

Pull up to pump at moderately busy gas/convenience store (Sheetz/Wawa). Middle age woman is finishing pumping, no problem, nothing else is open without driving way around. She finishes, gets back in car, then spends the next five minutes rearranging her purse (which is larger than most carry on bags I've seen at the airport) before pulling out. At least I missed the rummaging thru the bag for her wallet and studying the gas options.

This isn't the first time this has happened. Very frustrating. 

In general I avoid lines with women or pick the one with the fewest. Could be cashier lanes, security lines…. They just take longer.  Shoot me. 🤣

13 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Do people not know to not use their bright lights when there is oncoming traffic nor when tailgating?

I drive Hines Dr quite a bit and at night it is very dark so I always have the brights on until I see a car coming then flip them off...a couple nights ago I did it about 8 times before I realized I just need to keep them off because there was too much traffic...my wifes car has a fancy feature that flips them off automatically when it senses the lights from the other vehicle.

32 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I drive Hines Dr quite a bit and at night it is very dark so I always have the brights on until I see a car coming then flip them off...a couple nights ago I did it about 8 times before I realized I just need to keep them off because there was too much traffic...my wifes car has a fancy feature that flips them off automatically when it senses the lights from the other vehicle.

Why do you find it necessary to flip off other drivers?

On 11/26/2021 at 1:25 PM, pfife said:

Looking at reviews for electric snow blowers.  It is truly unbelievable how many people rate it before they even tried using it on snow and admit it in the reviews.  Thanks for making the aggregate scores useless you jabronies.   

I feel this in my bones.  Mine died at the end of last year, & because I had 1,000s of dollars in car repairs over the summer, I decided to buy one new (to me) on FB marketplace.  Got an Ariens, which worked fabulously Saturday & Sunday when we got about 8" in Gaylord.  Got a little overnite & went to use it this morning - wheels are frozen up. Can't put it in gear either forward or backwards, & the wheels won't rotate at all to be able to move it.  Got someone coming over tomorrow & I know it's not a new one, but it's just one of those things - why can't something go smoothly for freakin' once?

On 11/28/2021 at 8:26 PM, Edman85 said:

Do people not know to not use their bright lights when there is oncoming traffic nor when tailgating?

My wife's Pilot has lights that are quite bright at the "regular" level. We regularly get "flashed" by other vehicles when just the regular lights are on. I then flash them back with the brights to say "Oh you think that's bad? Try this!".

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

My wife's Pilot has lights that are quite bright at the "regular" level. We regularly get "flashed" by other vehicles when just the regular lights are on. I then flash them back with the brights to say "Oh you think that's bad? Try this!".

Your wife has her own pilot?  Fancy.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Why are Traffic Circles so hard for some folks?   I love them.  I think they are brilliant, they improve traffic flow and cut down on serious accidents,  but some folks don't grasp it at all.     Saw someone almost hit 2 people last night in a circle in Lake Orion.   

(I know, I know, some people don't grasp the act of driving well, even in the easiest situation, but still, I am a fan of the traffic circle).  

14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why are Traffic Circles so hard for some folks?   I love them.  I think they are brilliant, they improve traffic flow and cut down on serious accidents,  but some folks don't grasp it at all.     Saw someone almost hit 2 people last night in a circle in Lake Orion.   

(I know, I know, some people don't grasp the act of driving well, even in the easiest situation, but still, I am a fan of the traffic circle).  

I think in some cases the designers make things worse. Driving is a visually driven skill and circles should be the ultimate in seeing just where you want to go. But some are designed with terrible visual clueing. In particular I'm talking about ones like at Lee Road at US 23. The designers have tried to 'help' drivers by putting entry 'slots' to the turns, but all they really do is visually uncouple the drivers ability to see where he wants to go. I know I want Whitmore lake road, but I have to pick one several ramps and visually I can't really see which one goes to Witmore lake road. I find that bad conceptual design. 

Edited by gehringer_2

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think in some cases the designers make things worse. Driving is a visually driven skill and circles should be the ultimate in seeing just where you want to go. But some are designed with terrible visual clueing. In particular I'm talking about ones like at Lee Road at US 23. The designers have tried to 'help' drivers by putting entry 'slots' to the turns, but all they really do is visually uncouple the drivers ability to see where he wants to go. I know I want Whitmore lake road, but I have to pick one several ramps and visually I can't really see which one goes to Witmore lake road. I find that bad conceptual design. 

lee road is ridiculous honestly.  

There were a couple that intimidated me purely on the volume of traffic. M5 and Pontiac Trail and 14 Mile/NW Highway/Orchard Lake RD. The flow seemed better last time I was up, but still folks don't seem to know how to merge yield/merge properly and the biggest issue seems to be the every man for himself attitude combined with an aging population in those areas who have no business driving.

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Thought I had taught my daughter pretty well about all kinds of driving... parallel parking, who has the right of way in each instance of 2-3-4-way Stop Signs, left hand turning, crossing a road or a lane when coming out of a parking lot, etc. Including how to handle traffic circles.

She didn't get her license until October (long time coming)...

Afterwards... we ran into a few traffic circles...

And she's swapping lanes IN THE MIDDLE of the traffic circle! Give me a freaking heart attack! First time I explained she has to stay in her lane in a circle because it's harder to see cars in blind spots, or jumping into the circle and, it very well could cause an accident. Did she not remember the instructions that I gave her? We were lucky there was no traffic right next to us because she didn't even look. I thought I impressed upon her the importance of not changing lanes in the middle of a circle.

Second time she swapped from inside lane to outside lane RIGHT IN FRONT of oncoming entrance/ traffic lane... My eyes are bugging out as I'm looking at the line of cars ready to enter the circle, hoping they don't jump into the circle in THEIR lane just as my daughter is swapping into THEIR LANE and... WHEW! They didn't make a move. But they are 18" right in front of my face as I'm looking out the passenger window, passing them by. STILL ALIVE at this point! But I read her the riot act and said please don't get us killed. And by riot act, I was calm and, not too loud... but firm and with shaky voice told her what she did was extremely dangerous.

The THIRD TIME was when we approached a circle, she stopped and correctly waited for her turn, there were two lanes entering with one going into the inside circle lane and the other going into the outside circle lane... and she was on the inside. So... she enters the circle... and says: "I think I prefer THIS lane" and jumps to the OUTSIDE lane AS she is entering the circle from the INSIDE lane.

Another heart attack.

But I calmly told her what she did. That there were two lanes entering the circle and she had to commit to one BEFORE the circle and not swap lanes like that, especially because someone very well could have been in the outside lane trying to enter the circle and she would have side-swiped them right off the road. Luckily, no one was there.

But there was a LOT of explaining to her, on what to do. I had to hammer into her head how to drive a circle...

And we ran into multiple circles afterwards (lots of traffic circles in this part of New Jersey), and...

She remembered to stay in her lane each time.

Edited by 1984Echoes

@Tigerbomb13I know can relate.... you go to a new place for dinner, looks kind of cool, and you look at the "Craft Beer" list and it's Sierra Nevada and Blue Moon.

I mean... I'll take Blue Moon if that's all you have but why bother with a "craft beer" designation?  At least if you are in the Detroit area give me something from Bell's or Founder's which are pretty common.  I found Two Hearted at Six Flags in Texas for god's sake.

4 hours ago, oblong said:

@Tigerbomb13I know can relate.... you go to a new place for dinner, looks kind of cool, and you look at the "Craft Beer" list and it's Sierra Nevada and Blue Moon.

I mean... I'll take Blue Moon if that's all you have but why bother with a "craft beer" designation?  At least if you are in the Detroit area give me something from Bell's or Founder's which are pretty common.  I found Two Hearted at Six Flags in Texas for god's sake.

I never considered myself a beer snob, but I drink so rarely that I don't want to waste my money on most of the typical fare at restaurants. The light beers & Buds of the world.  This kind of thing you mention would drive me up a wall.