The pet peeve thread

People who blow through school bus stop signs.  The worst kind of people IMO.  Saw 3 of them this morning while my kids were getting on the bus.  My wife has called the cops about it multiple times.  Not a care in the world...just blowing right through a bus sitting for 30 seconds waiting for the kids to get on.  It happens at least twice a week.

About six months ago the state changed a left turn on one of the smaller roads leading to a divided roadway. The cross street leads directly to an elementary school. 

Every week I’m seeing lots of uproar about it on FB, Nextdoor, etc. Not a big deal to me, it’s a Michigan left….

17 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I am glad that I don't work in a downtown office building anymore.  When I did, I would park underground, where there was a mix of permit holders and people who paid cash by the hour.  At the end of the day when I was leaving, I might be behind a lady who was paying cash.  She might hand her ticket and some cash to the attendant in the kiosk (remember those?) and then a moment later some change would be handed back.  And then for the next 25 seconds she would ORGANIZE HER FREAKING PURSE before driving off.  That's where an Aston Martin with twin machine guns would have come in handy.

My rule on lines is to do a female check.  They take longer.  Going into a sporting events.. even the lines that say "no bags".... they dont listen.  They've always got bags and blankets and purses... we're going to a baseball game, not camping.  

Going into the office they'd take up 3 times the elevator space.  They'd have their laptop on wheels, a giant purse, a lunch bag, and a cup of Starbucks.. swinging around, getting in the way. 

one time I came across a situation that I really didn't know what to do.  walking in after a dentist appointment, meaning it wasn't a peak arrival time, there was a lady in front of me in the parking lot going towards the building.  She had a rolling briefcase/bag and the handle got caught on her skirt and she didn't notice.   A whole ass cheek was hanging out as she's walking in.  Dark colored panties.  It was no worse than what I'd see if she was at the beach.  Probably 20 yards in front of me.  I was contemplating if I would say anything and what that would be.... luckily it resolved itself, I don't know if she noticed and fixed it or it just fell down naturally.  She got into the elevator before I was able to get to the entry door so there was no "pretend you didn't see what you saw" action.  I still to this day am not sure the best way to handle that if I needed to tell her.  

• Like 1

Speaking of parking.... the "district detroit" lots near Comerica and Little Caesars are both a blessing and annoyance.  You can buy ahead of time using an app.  It saves you a few $ and reserves a spot.  But you have to scan the barcode to get out of it.  That's the shitty part.  For a crowded event you have dozens of cars all trying to get to the single exit point, that's not very big, and everyone's getting their phones out, trying to scan.... often they are not prepared.  With the venues being cashless I find it convenient from my regular spot because I don't take cash... but I miss just pulling out of a driveway.  In one case the barcode wouldn't work so I had to pay twice... I complained but it went nowhere.  

Checking the lines at a grocery store is something that I always do, and get it wrong usually, but here is a rule:  the better dressed a female is, the less likely she is to bag her own groceries.  She will just stand there and watch "the help" do it.  While I scream, silently, behind my mask, "IS YOUR FREAKING ARM BROKEN?"

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Down here they’ve started installing cameras on busses to catch the illegal drivers. I think their attached to the stop signs, not sure if they are self activated when the sign is out and lights are flashing or not. 

My wife is pushing for these with the local police dept and the school.  I would take video with my phone and send it if I thought it would do anything.  It is ridiculous.

The scanner tickets are kind of annoying.  I had 2 for the Lions preseason game, took my son and had my phone out and already on the ticket as the cursor at the bottom is going back and forth...get to the front and the wfi cuts out and I lose the tickets...sit there for about 20 seconds trying to get it back up, then step to the side and have the people behind me start filing in as I try to get the app to work again...had to login to their wifi and it finally worked, but took like 3-4 minutes of just sitting off to the side and they were the only proof of tickets I had...so if for some reason I could not get it working I am not 100% sure what I would have done.  Probably have to go to a guest service window or something.

I am not grumpy old man about that...I enjoy the conveniences tech provides, but when it does not work....

43 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Checking the lines at a grocery store is something that I always do, and get it wrong usually, but here is a rule:  the better dressed a female is, the less likely she is to bag her own groceries.  She will just stand there and watch "the help" do it.  While I scream, silently, behind my mask, "IS YOUR FREAKING ARM BROKEN?"

Isn't it a bagger's job to bag groceries? Isn't that what they get paid to do? Customers don't get paid to do that, right?

At one top grocery chain here, frequently when there is both a checkout person (CP) and bagger present (as opposed to just the CP), the CP will ring up an item and, instead of sending it down the belt to the bagger, will set it aside. Then once enough items have been set aside, the CP will then bag them all, then hand the bag to me to put into the cart, and the whole time, the bagger is just sitting there watching us.

I have no idea what that is about, but I have seen it at multiple locations of this chain, so it must be part what they are trained to do (like silently handing the receipt to you afterwards, rather than handing it to you with a "thank you" like I was told to do when I worked at Kroger). I've never understood why they do this because not only is this ignoring the available resource that is the bagger, but it's slowing down the entire transaction as the CP pauses ringing up groceries to bag them—again, while the bagger is standing around doing nothing.

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for it all ...

1 hour ago, oblong said:

My rule on lines is to do a female check.  They take longer.  Going into a sporting events.. even the lines that say "no bags".... they dont listen.  They've always got bags and blankets and purses... we're going to a baseball game, not camping.  

{snip}

I do the same although I've been scanning only for old people and children in the line, who tend to really bottleneck things at event search points. Based on your experience, maybe I need to widen my prejudice to include women ... 😂

Not a peeve because it's kind of rare nowadays, but I saw this today on my optometrist's website: their phone number is listed as (800) 8-CORNEA.

I don't understand the point of listing out their number in this way on a website. I believe the main reason these vanity phone numbers are used is for situations where you can't call right then but it's easy to remember once you do get to a phone. For example, hearing the phone number in a TV or radio commercial, or seeing it on a billboard as you drive by. What was the number again? Oh yeah: eight hundred-eight cornea. That's easy.

But if I am specifically on the web page because I am looking for the phone number, writing it out as 8-CORNEA actually slows me down, because now I have to take extra time figuring out which letter lines up to which number. It would be better/faster/more convenient to list it as 826-7632 (I actually had to look up what the numbers were to type them out here).

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

The scanner tickets are kind of annoying.  I had 2 for the Lions preseason game, took my son and had my phone out and already on the ticket as the cursor at the bottom is going back and forth...get to the front and the wfi cuts out and I lose the tickets...sit there for about 20 seconds trying to get it back up, then step to the side and have the people behind me start filing in as I try to get the app to work again...had to login to their wifi and it finally worked, but took like 3-4 minutes of just sitting off to the side and they were the only proof of tickets I had...so if for some reason I could not get it working I am not 100% sure what I would have done.  Probably have to go to a guest service window or something.

I am not grumpy old man about that...I enjoy the conveniences tech provides, but when it does not work....

if you have an iphone you can add them to your wallet to take care of that issue.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Isn't it a bagger's job to bag groceries? Isn't that what they get paid to do? Customers don't get paid to do that, right?

Bagger lol.  I don't think I've seen one for about 30 years.  No, it's just the cashier, who rings up the groceries and then bags them while the entitled ignoramus stands there and watches, and holds up the line.

Come to think about it I haven’t seen a bagger around here in a while. The best system I’ve seen is where the cart goes in on the cashier’s side, they ring up the items and bag them as they go.  It seems fairly efficient.

The company (either Harris Teeter or Publix) always has several lines open. And unlike West Bloomfield/Commerce there are very few loose carts in the parking lot)

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Come to think about it I haven’t seen a bagger around here in a while. The best system I’ve seen is where the cart goes in on the cashier’s side, they ring up the items and bag them as they go.  It seems fairly efficient.

The company (either Harris Teeter or Publix) always has several lines open. And unlike West Bloomfield/Commerce there are very few loose carts in the parking lot)

That's a good system that doesn't work so well if you bring your own bags from home, which we do.  So all the cashier has to do is ring up the sale and push it on down, and I bag it, because my arms aren't broken.

• Like 1

I was on Outer Drive in Dearborn, just south of Michigan avenue, right after it turns by the Speedway.  It's 3 lanes.  There was a school bus stopped in the right lane.  Myself and another driver both stopped in the left and center lanes, because, that's what you do.   Some ass is behind me leaning on his horn and I can hear him screaming.   He decides to drive ON THE GRASS MEDIAN to get around us and nearly hits a a kid.    A cop on the other side of Outer Drive saw the whole thing and popped him.  Hope he got cuffed for it.  It was just before I got my dash cam unfortunately.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I was on Outer Drive in Dearborn, just south of Michigan avenue, right after it turns by the Speedway.  It's 3 lanes.  There was a school bus stopped in the right lane.  Myself and another driver both stopped in the left and center lanes, because, that's what you do.   Some ass is behind me leaning on his horn and I can hear him screaming.   He decides to drive ON THE GRASS MEDIAN to get around us and nearly hits a a kid.    A cop on the other side of Outer Drive saw the whole thing and popped him.  Hope he got cuffed for it.  It was just before I got my dash cam unfortunately.  

That’s awesome. Also a dangerous place to stop. People speed there all the time. Years ago I was coming back from a game.  Drop my friend in garden city and I take outer drive home. A car had plowed into that accountants building.  Must have been speeding towards MI Avenue and lost control and went straight instead of right. 

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

That’s awesome. Also a dangerous place to stop. People speed there all the time. Years ago I was coming back from a game.  Drop my friend in garden city and I take outer drive home. A car had plowed into that accountants building.  Must have been speeding towards MI Avenue and lost control and went straight instead of right. 

Yes,  Michael J. Penn is the accountant.  ♫ What if I were Romeo in black jeans........♫.    Right next to that is the Urgent Care.  Two times I have gone there and there was no doctor to see patients.  I asked a fairly obvious question "Then why are you open?" and the receptionist said "I honestly don't know".    Well, fine, Next time I fall off a ladder I'll go elsewhere.  Gutter-cleaning season is here and some other urgent care will get my money.   

43 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's a good system that doesn't work so well if you bring your own bags from home, which we do.  So all the cashier has to do is ring up the sale and push it on down, and I bag it, because my arms aren't broken.

So is it ok to let the bagger bag them if there is a bagger there?  

1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

So is it ok to let the bagger bag them if there is a bagger there?  

Ha ha sure, this theoretical bagger who does not exist in my world and therefore not in my peeve can go ahead and bag I guess in some alternate universe, I'm not going to try to make him/her lose their job.  That's why I refuse to use self-checkout.

12 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Ha ha sure, this theoretical bagger who does not exist in my world and therefore not in my peeve can go ahead and bag I guess in some alternate universe, I'm not going to try to make him/her lose their job.  That's why I refuse to use self-checkout.

“Where am I? Am I in an alternate universe?”

”Why, no, Jim. You’re in Chicago.”

I usually get stuck behind the older (than me) person who is technologically challenged and has to call the U Scan keeper. 
Or someone who has a large order.

Kind of like the 80 plus year olds who always happen to be in front of me at the inconvenience store who want to by $50 worth of $2 scratch off tickets when I want to pay for my coffee and donuts and go. 

14 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I only use self-checkout.

I'm way too hyper to wait for anyone else to bag my groceries, or be stuck in a slow moving line at a cashier for:

any

reason

whatsoever.