The pet peeve thread

On 10/4/2021 at 7:03 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

We have a trail around a lake near our house and I use it often. I get many dirty looks and scowls from aimless walkers (usually middle-aged women) who suddenly have to move when I say "on your left". Sorry to have ruined your endless gabbing and middle-of-the-trail meandering, lady.

I was going to write some indignant response, then I realized I’m no longer a middle-aged woman….. I’m officially an old broad, so your remark doesn’t apply to me, and I don’t need to represent.  

Besides, middle-aged women can, in fact, be annoying. 😏

8 hours ago, smr-nj said:

I was going to write some indignant response, then I realized I’m no longer a middle-aged woman….. I’m officially an old broad, so your remark doesn’t apply to me, and I don’t need to represent.  

Besides, middle-aged women can, in fact, be annoying. 😏

So can old broads. 

*ducks*

My guess is a deer. We found some tracks outside the fence and there are several in the neighborhood. It happened after midnight, I guess. I didn’t notice anything when I took the dog out about 11:30 (after the end of MNF). There’s also an unlocked gate along the back (for yard crews) if someone really wanted to get in. No other damage nearby….

36 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

So what is going on here?  A neighbor kid doing it to squeeze through instead of jumping it....an animal of some kind?  Your jerk neighbor?

Does it happen often?  We have deer in our yard, but no fence..I have considered putting a fence like the one you got there in, but never pulled the trigger.

We just moved here a little over a year ago. I’ve seen deer in the area, it’s a new subdivision, formerly a heavily forested area. I’ve seen them in the area, never expected them to breech the fence.

Waiting to hear from the contractor whether we need to replace the panels or the bent bars.

BTW, not a big fan of wooden fences, it hides the views. Also more work on upkeep than I want. Then again I never expected this.

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

We just moved here a little over a year ago. I’ve seen deer in the area, it’s a new subdivision, formerly a heavily forested area. I’ve seen them in the area, never expected them to breech the fence.

Waiting to hear from the contractor whether we need to replace the panels or the bent bars.

BTW, not a big fan of wooden fences, it hides the views. Also more work on upkeep than I want. Then again I never expected this.

I can't tell from your pick how tall the fence is. I'm guessing this is like a 4 footer? If so the deer could go over easily enough I wouldn't think they'd bother spending the energy to push. Coyote? Canids are natural jail breakers. If my perspective is wrong and it's 6ft+ then i could see deer. But it's funny, in our area - where there are a ton of deer, even chickenwire normally keeps them out of places. Our local deer don't seem to have much tendency to work past barriers.

It seems that these days one needs a Linkedin profile if they want to switch employers and/or look for new jobs so I created one. Of course it contains my name and company name. Our email address is Firstname.lastname@company.com. Not hard to figure out. A couple people have figured this out and am getting email solicitations trying to sell my company business software. Now, they upped their game to calling. Not hard to figure out. Just call the corporate number and get to the directory and say my name. It's fine to try to solicit through the Linkedin app, but stalking me at work for sales is another thing. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It seems that these days one needs a Linkedin profile if they want to switch employers and/or look for new jobs so I created one. Of course it contains my name and company name. Our email address is Firstname.lastname@company.com. Not hard to figure out. A couple people have figured this out and am getting email solicitations trying to sell my company business software. Now, they upped their game to calling. Not hard to figure out. Just call the corporate number and get to the directory and say my name. It's fine to try to solicit through the Linkedin app, but stalking me at work for sales is another thing. 

Linkedin is terrible.

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I can't tell from your pick how tall the fence is. I'm guessing this is like a 4 footer? If so the deer could go over easily enough I wouldn't think they'd bother spending the energy to push. Coyote? Canids are natural jail breakers. If my perspective is wrong and it's 6ft+ then i could see deer. But it's funny, in our area - where there are a ton of deer, even chickenwire normally keeps them out of places. Our local deer don't seem to have much tendency to work past barriers.

It’s 4 feet. The deer here seem smaller than those in Michigan. My assumption is based on tracks a couple of contractors working in the sub noticed around the fence when I was showing it to them. There are berms on either side of me and it probably between midnight and 7 AM

Nothing else was disturbed on the patio or porch. The dog never barked…

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I would imagine you should be able to just push the bar back?  

The neighbor on my one side has a large wooden fence that was there when we bought the house because of his dogs...the other neighbor we have nothing there at all or the back.  I prefer the kind of fence you have to a full on wooden picket fence.  My neighbors is looking pretty rough...I wish he would take it down.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:11 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Okay, this one is really, really, really nitpicky and stupid. 

Cart corrals in parking lots.  They are typically positioned 8-10 spaces apart, meaning you are really never more than 5 spots away, yet people are so damned lazy they can't put them away.  It's becoming a problem with employee shortages and fewer cart cowboys.   Okay......fine, but this is what REALLY annoys me.  At Meijer they have two rows for theirs, one for large carts and one for small carts, yet they are ALWAYS mixed up.   Basically this means that people are just too lazy to put them in the right row or they can't f'ing read.    I feel for the cart cowboys having to separate them.    It's just really one of those stupid little things that annoys me even though it doesn't really cause me any real problems.   I just hate it.  

Plus - to the grocery stores - more small carts please.  I know why they don't have them - because it's a psychological thing for shoppers and a larger basket entices them to buy more, but I love the small carts.  

This is one of the things I have told my grandkids to watch out for in picking out a mate. If they don't return their carts, stay away. If people can't do the simple things, they will fail miserably when the going gets tough.

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

This is one of the things I have told my grandkids to watch out for in picking out a mate. If they don't return their carts, stay away. If people can't do the simple things, they will fail miserably when the going gets tough.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I mean, it's clearly labeled Small Carts/Large Carts.   There are few things, on this earth, that are less ambiguous,  yet they still can't do it.  Why?   FOR THE LOVE OF HUMANITY, WHY !!!!!!!!??????

In my big city, as in many, pedestrians at crosswalks have the right of way over cars. In fact, cars are required by state law to stop when a pedestrian is crossing, or about to cross. So I’ve trained myself to stop whenever I see a person standing at a crosswalk.

In the past few years, I’ve stopped when I see a person at a crosswalk, only to have them ignore me, or stare at me like I’m an alien. After a few seconds I get the message and continue driving on. Didn’t take me long to figure out that they are standing on the corner waiting for their Uber or Lyft.

I wish rideshare customers would pick a spot that’s not at a crosswalk, but that’s not gonna change. So the least they could do is stare down at their phone while standing there, which would be a signal to cars that they’re not waiting to cross. After all, isn’t that what everyone does all the time, anyway? But that won’t change, either. So I guess I’ll just continue to stop at crosswalks and then continue on when the person standing there just stands there.

The issue I always had with DT Chicago was cab drivers and bicycle messengers when it came to crosswalks. They were always out to kill or maim you.

Since I was basically doing a reverse commute, walking from Union Station to the State of Illinois building.

Between the vehicles and trying trying to swim upstream against normal commuters….

I am glad that I don't work in a downtown office building anymore.  When I did, I would park underground, where there was a mix of permit holders and people who paid cash by the hour.  At the end of the day when I was leaving, I might be behind a lady who was paying cash.  She might hand her ticket and some cash to the attendant in the kiosk (remember those?) and then a moment later some change would be handed back.  And then for the next 25 seconds she would ORGANIZE HER FREAKING PURSE before driving off.  That's where an Aston Martin with twin machine guns would have come in handy.

31 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

... And then for the next 25 seconds she would ORGANIZE HER FREAKING PURSE before driving off.  That's where an Aston Martin with twin machine guns would have come in handy.

Same thing at Drive-Through ATM's... except it is 3 minutes, not 25 sec's... I mean... WTF? How long does it take to shove some cash into your wallet/ purse and then get your ass moving again?

Although I would prefer using just a simple Romulan Phase 3 Disruptor to eliminate the problem...

15 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Same thing at Drive-Through ATM's... except it is 3 minutes, not 25 sec's... I mean... WTF? How long does it take to shove some cash into your wallet/ purse and then get your ass moving again?

Although I would prefer using just a simple Romulan Phase 3 Disruptor to eliminate the problem...

One CU near me has two ATM in the same lane. Do you think people are smart enough to pull to the second one so that the first one is available to the next person to arrive?

I'll let you guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1