10/03/2022 9:40 EDT Detroit Tigers at Seattle Mariners

casimir

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

he’s already losing ticks on his velocity,

Since we expect starters that go to the pen to pick up an MPH or two, don't we expect a reliever that moves to the rotation to back down a similar amount?

110 ERA+ in 4 starts - all against playoff teams. We might be selling low - if he can stay on field going forward.

But no doubt somebody is going to go that they'd rather not lose. They have too many mid-level arms to keep them all.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Garcia has shown nothing in the way of having enough control. But I think he's the last guy on this list that gets shown the door. He may be bumped off the 40... but I'm going to wait on this one and see if he squeezes for a little while longer. He has a live arm, is the youngest of these 5... we'll see...

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Does Brian Garcia have a spot on the 40-man this offseason?  Between a few starts here and in Toledo, seems like he has reinvented himself into potentially useful SP depth.

The answer is yes. He's going to be given some more run and I think he definitely squeezes onto our winter-2022-23 40-man.

I mean maybe they find someone that takes his spot. 

But there are a lot of other guys that can easily be broomed off the 40 so... I think the last few spots of this year's 40 will be between Garcia and a couple of the "iffy" kids that might deserve a spot and... Garcia will be held onto...

Just my 2 cents.

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Since we expect starters that go to the pen to pick up an MPH or two, don't we expect a reliever that moves to the rotation to back down a similar amount?

110 ERA+ in 4 starts - all against playoff teams. We might be selling low - if he can stay on field going forward.

But no doubt somebody is going to go that they'd rather not lose. They have too many mid-level arms to keep them all.

BABIP of .216 is unsustainable.  His SO% has approached league average while his BB% is worse vs.  Small sample size, but it seems like a mirage.

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

He'll be at the backend of the 40 so it will be a tough decision on him. We can all see the negatives...

But he's put up some recent good performances... even though there is a good degree of "mirage" in there as Cas has pointed out.

There are currently 49 guys on the 40 when you include the 60 day ILs.  Personally I have a hard time seeing Garcia being kept ahead of 41-49 plus any players that need to be added to the 40 this offseason.  He'll be 28 to start next season and doesn't miss enough bats or induce enough weak contact.  It seems like an easy nontender despite a handful of decent starts.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

There are currently 49 guys on the 40 when you include the 60 day ILs.  Personally I have a hard time seeing Garcia being kept ahead of 41-49 plus any players that need to be added to the 40 this offseason.  He'll be 28 to start next season and doesn't miss enough bats or induce enough weak contact.  It seems like an easy nontender despite a handful of decent starts.

not arguing the other points, which are all fair additions to the mix, but I'd argue 28 is not old enough for a pitcher to be much of a decision factor.

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

not arguing the other points, which are all fair additions to the mix, but I'd argue 28 is not old enough for a pitcher to be much of a decision factor.

Maybe, maybe not.  If he were left handed, I'd be more forgiving.

image.png.33e0cc930492af3c5d5644d46d70d3d2.png

His season by season BABIP is absolute Jeckyl and Hyde.

On 10/3/2022 at 11:52 PM, Tenacious D said:

Does Brian Garcia have a spot on the 40-man this offseason?  Between a few starts here and in Toledo, seems like he has reinvented himself into potentially useful SP depth.

On 10/4/2022 at 6:32 AM, casimir said:

Fool's gold.

Yes, have not heard that term in awhile - but, the game is 'much' different today. Long Gone (thanks Ernie) are the days of 3 SPs on a team with 200 IP during one season.

Heck, look at the Tigers leading IP just this year. Sure one could say that is a fluke - but sooo many teams have succumbed to extensive injuries NOT just the Tigers - so perhaps this is not a fluke, but more a reality and the game/teams are adjusting.

I heard David Cone on a recent broadcast state that teams now have to be 8-9+ SPs deep to get through a season and are beginning to realize this.

The versatile SPs, ex Hutch, DNorris, BGarcia, etc. are going to have a place and the 'minor league' deal for a SP with experience may have to be adjusted. The player has to now realize just because they may not 'start' (SP) with a team out of ST or begin in the minors, they still have a good chance at starting several meaningful games.

Sooner or later, IMHO, rosters need to be increased again or many more position players will be pitching in games as they did this year.

I think Scott Harris is aware this is taking place and may have been ahead of the curve. Look at the 'dice roll' SP contracts that were signed this past off season by SF: CRodon, AWood, JJunis, SMiller, CMartinez, ACobb, etc. - to go along with their staff that ended 2021.

"One man's junk/trash is another mans treasure."