10/03/2022 9:40 EDT Detroit Tigers at Seattle Mariners

casimir

1 hour ago, casimir said:

The Tuesday doubleheader starts around 6 Eastern and the Wednesday finale starts around 4 Eastern.

Not as bad as it could have been.   If I were any team that had our playoff destination already locked in I'd sandbag the doubleheader.   Have position players pitch both games.  

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Not as bad as it could have been.   If I were any team that had our playoff destination already locked in I'd sandbag the doubleheader.   Have position players pitch both games.  

Are you new here?  This has been happening with regularity.  😆

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

The storm of 2022 is coming to a close with hopes of better weather for 2023. Now we turn the page to what should be an interesting if not fruitful of season with Scot Harris at the helm. How many players from the current 2022 team will return is anyones guess. Maybe 60 % ??

Unless Chris opens his pocketbooks, it will just be more of the same. Patience is needed while Harris starts a new rebuild. Start by trading all of our pitchers we can get anything for. What's another 5 or 6 years when it's already been 38 years?

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Unless Chris opens his pocketbooks, it will just be more of the same. Patience is needed while Harris starts a new rebuild. Start by trading all of our pitchers we can get anything for. What's another 5 or 6 years when it's already been 38 years?

They’re probably going to have to move some pitching just because they have so many pitchers on the 40.  They can just DFA Cisnero, Norris, and Garcia to start with.  I’d probably add Funkhouser to that, but understand if they’d want to see how he looks post injury.  Hutchison is probably gone as well, but give the guy credit, he usually got them to the middle of the game with a puncher’s chance.

As much as I’d love them to move Soto and his over 5 BB9, I doubt there would be much interest in him.  He may have great stuff, but the control is just awful.  Who knows, maybe they could get lucky there and find someone focused on the lefty stuff.

They have so many starters that they’ve gone through this season.  It’ll be interesting to see how it gets sorted out.  I wouldn’t think there would be much of a market for some of those guys.  And, similarly, I wonder how much any of the relievers would entice teams.

Harris has his work cut out for him.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

They’re probably going to have to move some pitching just because they have so many pitchers on the 40.  They can just DFA Cisnero, Norris, and Garcia to start with.  I’d probably add Funkhouser to that, but understand if they’d want to see how he looks post injury.  Hutchison is probably gone as well, but give the guy credit, he usually...

I see no reason to have Norris, Funk, Cisnero or Hutch on the 40.

Norris just doesn't offer enough for a 40 spot, and they already knew that and dumped before because of that. They just needed a bandaid and that's all Norris is at this point.

Same with Hutch. I like him. In AAA that is... which they've done the past 3 years and in 2023 it'll be the same as well I think. Not on the 40, have him at Toledo (I think he'll be open to it as there won't be other opportunities that offer anything more so he'll be an Org guy for us)... and as a bandaid for us when everything goes to hell I also like him since, as you pointed out, he keeps the team in the game. But I think he's still a AAA/ AAAA/ 10th starter guy for any team. Not a 40-guy. But we'll see. I don't see however, any reason to save a 40-spot for him. But that's just me.

Funk shouldn't be given a 40 spot. He's also a borderline guy, even if we feel he has a little more run/ upside in him... but, coming off an injury, I doubt anyone else is willing to take a 40 chance on him either. Maybe I'm wrong here... but at 29 years old next year... not having all that much MLB track record or showing anything that compelling, and coming off an injury... why would we hold a 40-spot open for him?

Cisnero is 33 and it's time with "out with the old, in with the new". Get him off the 40. They may even invite him to ST but then that says he couldn't get a contract... someone will want him. But it's time for the Tigers to move on. Even though he's pitched some decent games for us.

Garcia has shown nothing in the way of having enough control. But I think he's the last guy on this list that gets shown the door. He may be bumped off the 40... but I'm going to wait on this one and see if he squeezes for a little while longer. He has a live arm, is the youngest of these 5... we'll see...

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Phillies clinch the playoffs for the first time since 2011 which now puts us and the Angels in a tie for longest current drought in all of MLB. 

Just looked at the Phillies box score—a lot of pop in their lineup. Except for Nick C, who put up pretty pedestrian numbers this season.  He can’t blame that ballpark, though.