2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

5 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

There was a subdued, nervous snicker when Scott was asked about what the Giants thought about the Tiger's farm system during his media introduction. Then there was even a more quickly subdued smile by Scott Harris himself. My take was that the Tigers have been the laughing stock of MLB for some time now. Harris knew coming in what he had to work with. His major surprise at this point is when he finds something in the organization that is useful.

I think this is pretty close to the truth, although I also wouldn't be surprised if he's a little shocked when he finds that some aspect of our system is even worse than he imagined it could be.

On 11/16/2022 at 11:08 AM, chasfh said:

Also, better and more versatile.

I don't know about versatile (since he is a poor infielder), but he did OPS .932 over 140 PA in 2020.  It was flukey and ridiculously BABIP influenced, but Clemens has not come close to that.  I actually have little hope for Castro, but there is a slight ray of potential.  

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know about versatile (since he is a poor infielder), but he did OPS .932 over 140 PA in 2020.  It was flukey and ridiculously BABIP influenced, but Clemens has not come close to that.  I actually have little hope for Castro, but there is a slight ray of potential.  

Yes he offers Shane Halter type of defensive versatility.  The only positive thing that was said about him this past year was "nice arm for right field" but he can't hit anywhere near well enough to play a corner outfield spot.  The next team that he is on will be a bad team.

• Like 1

I don't really remember if Halter was a competent middle infielder or not, but Willi does not turn the double play with anything like major league quickness and he clearly couldn't hold down SS after getting some early run there. Just because A-I-love-me-every-jack-of-all-trades-player-that-comes-along-J.Hinch can't help himself when it come to insuring he is playing a lineup every single day with more utilty knife functions that he will actually use in a given month doesn't make it winning baseball.

:classic_tongue:

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Castro is versatile in that he can and does play infield positions, if not all that well. Put it this way: he is more valuable playing six positions than Clemens is playing three. Besides, Clemens has a noodle for an arm, and it’s not going to age in the right direction for him.

Castro is probably never gonna be a star, but if he can find a way to optimize his talent, he might be a valuable depth piece for a second division team—including us in 2023–for maybe another three or four years.

CastroW is a combination of young enough, cheap enough, and versatile enough where exposing him to different coaching might be worth keeping him around for another season.  Didn't Harris say they were looking for a RHH OF and LHH IF?  He's a switch hitting utility hitter.  Maybe that's all he'll ever be. 

But keep in mind the entirety of how the roster is composed.  If they go with 13 Ps, they'll carry 2 Cs and 1 DH only (when Cabrera is healthy).  That leaves 10 guys to cover 8 positions.  Baez will play everyday, and hopefully Meadows too..  I imagine Greene and Torkelson would ideally be playing everyday.  If so, they're down to 6 guys to cover 3 positions, but keeping in mind that Baez/Greene/Torkelson/Meadows will need a day off here and there, but probably more taxing will be Cabrera not playing everyday.  Although assuming 4 everyday players, with 6 covering the remaining 3 positions, that shouldn't be an issue.  Just to be clear, I don't assume Schoop returns next season, but I would imagine that he plays everyday if he does return.

Does CastroW still have options?  They could stuff him in Toledo to see if his game improves if they have they wiggle room on the 40 to get him there.

8 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes he offers Shane Halter type of defensive versatility.  The only positive thing that was said about him this past year was "nice arm for right field" but he can't hit anywhere near well enough to play a corner outfield spot.  The next team that he is on will be a bad team.

Would this include the 2023 Tigers?  😖

Today’s the big day we find out who gets tendered and who does not. I’m most interested in seeing whether Alexander and Candelario are on that list, especially Jeimer. I don’t see where we would get his projected production by anyone else in our system or on the market, outside of a trade which, sure, I could be talked into that.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Today’s the big day we find out who gets tendered and who does not. I’m most interested in seeing whether Alexander and Candelario are on that list, especially Jeimer. I don’t see where we would get his projected production by anyone else in our system or on the market, outside of a trade which, sure, I could be talked into that.

This.

I'm still on the bandwagon of "we have to keep Candy for this one more year...".

41 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

This.

I'm still on the bandwagon of "we have to keep Candy for this one more year...".

Might be our only option, but we’ll largely end up with the same lineup next season, with potential upgrades at C and one of the corner OF spots.  We’d basically be betting on improvements from everyone who underperformed.

8 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Might be our only option, but we’ll largely end up with the same lineup next season, with potential upgrades at C and one of the corner OF spots.  We’d basically be betting on improvements from everyone who underperformed.

that is called the "Al Avila Special" - these guys will get better! trust me!

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Two things:

1) In 2023... I don't see much of a choice. I don't see a long list of major improvements - players both obtainable and also definitive improvements - available to us.

2) We have a huge coterie of new coaches. I have some expectations along the lines of what I highlighted in your quote...

PS: One more thing on Candy... If Tork starts to struggle again and they decide to send him to AAA for a month or whatever... the best guy to play 1B is... Not Schoop. Not Harold. Not Miggy. It's Candy. He can play a serviceable 1B and keep Schoop at 2B, Harold on the bench, and Miggy at DH. Kreidler can cover 3B if need be...

Just my 2 cents...

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Two things:

1) In 2023... I don't see much of a choice. I don't see a long list of major improvements - players both obtainable and also definitive improvements - available to us.

2) We have a huge coterie of new coaches. I have some expectations along the lines of what I highlighted in your quote...

I don’t disagree, especially with your second point.  Most guys have a track record—the unknowns are Tork, Greene and Rogers.  It’s not inconceivable that this lineup could have a big turnaround with better coaching.

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: One more thing on Candy... If Tork starts to struggle again and they decide to send him to AAA for a month or whatever... the best guy to play 1B is... Not Schoop. Not Harold. Not Miggy. It's Candy. He can play a serviceable 1B and keep Schoop at 2B, Harold on the bench, and Miggy at DH. Kreidler can cover 3B if need be...

Just my 2 cents...

I am pretty much in agreement here. On the other hand, I do grow weary of feeling like we are continuously sinking money into a 2001 Yugo with 300,000 miles on it.