2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

24 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Being in a pitcher's park is a poor excuse for being a bad GM.  That is something a good GM should be able to use to his advantage.   Dombrowski appeared to do that by buildind around starting pitching.  Harris has said that being in an unusual park is an advantage.  Let's see if he can take advantage.  

I think Avila thought he was taking the same approach in drafting all the pitchers.  It just didn't work.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

To be fair, Paredes did end the season with 2.2 WAR with plus-D at third base, a 114 OPS+, and he had a pretty good August.

Even so, it's asking a lot for a 23-year-old to be consistently good month after month through an entire season, especially a guy coming directly out of the frying pan of a system that has routinely failed the development of their minor leaguers and directly into the fire of a team expected to contend for a ring. I'll be interested to see how Paredes does after spending an entire winter working under their direction.

I hope Meadows can perform well in 2023 because this trade is grand larceny year to date. And I wager Parades will do well. He is exactly the type of player Harris is targeting and Al traded him with a High Draft Pick for a player in decline at escalating cost. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

It was Scot Boras that called the Tigers encouraging them to draft Skubal. 

He may have called them. But a team is going to stick to their board. Dozens of people spend many months developing it, and they're not going off board because some agent calls, ffs.

3 minutes ago, Longgone said:

He may have called them. But a team is going to stick to their board. Dozens of people spend many months developing it, and they're not going off board because some agent calls, ffs.

No.

They went off board specifically because of Boras's recommendation.

I don't have the smoking gun evidence but... people are sayin'...

Tigers Hire Tim Federowicz As Catching Coach

By Darragh McDonald | January 19, 2023 at 12:29pm CDT

The Tigers announced their 2023 coaching staff today, with many of the names returning from last year or already reported. The one new bit of information from today’s announcement is that Tim Federowicz has been brought aboard as a catching coach.

Federowicz, 35, will bring plenty of experience to the role, having been a big league catcher from 2011 through 2019 and working in the minors for even longer. He got into 163 MLB games over that time, suiting up for the Dodgers, Cubs, Giants, Astros, Red and Rangers. He never hit much in the big leagues, producing a batting line of .192/.241/.328. However, he managed to stick around for many years as a backup catcher due to his reputation for working well with pitching staffs.

He announced his retirement from playing after the 2021 campaign and immediately jump-started the coaching phase of his career. He served as manager of the Tacoma Rainiers in 2022, the Triple-A affiliate of the Mariners. He’ll now quickly jump to a catching job in the majors after just a single season of managing in the minors.

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Yeah, I do remember the reporting about Denise I at the time as well. Was downright Dallas-esque lol

The winning post-2006 papers over a lot, because the Tigers Organization was pretty freaking dysfunctional at times prior to 2006. Arguably more dysfunctional than they are now.

You mean Denise "Don't call me a kid" Ilitch?

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Agreed, and I see you already saw my tweet.

If you are trying to build a development culture, Chapman ain't the guy.

No, Aroldis was teetering right at the edge of the 'career over' cliff as it was last season. Odds that he goes right over this season are too good for my taste. If you wanted that kind of excitement you could have just kept Soto and Jimenez.....🤣

14 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Of all the times for a Tigers beat writer to be critical of the team...

This ain't it 

First of all, as for Chapman having gas in the tank—ha ha ha ha no. That’s why he fell all the way to the Royals. If any contender thought Chapman still had gas in the tank, they would have signed him.

Secondly, Evan Woodbery is part of the old guard beat writer crew steeped in the ways of the old administration, and has still-active relationships with them that he built over the prior six years. He’s used to the loose lips and the sinking ships. Different animal now. Job’s gonna be harder. Best of luck to him.

Edited by chasfh

22 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

that the park would be a problem was baked in as soon as it was decided to have the OF facing South. All the other architectural and fence issues follow from that.

in fairness, the south facing view is of downtown and is much nicer than the north facing view of.....desolation.