Miggy in History

BoomGaspar

With another season in the books, where does Miguel Cabrera rank historically?  He is...

25th in MLB history in hits with 3088.  He needs 2 more to pass Ichiro Suzuki for 24th.
8th in team history in hits with 2246.  He needs 120 more to pass Alan Trammell for 7th.

27th in MLB history in home runs with 507.  He needs 3 more to pass Gary Sheffield for 26th.
3rd in team history in home runs with 369.  He needs 5 more to pass Norm Cash for 2nd.

14th in MLB history in RBI with 1847.  He needs 14 more to pass Mel Ott for 13th.
5th in team history in RBI with 1324.  He needs 104 more to pass Charlie Gehringer for 4th.

16th in MLB history in total bases with 5250.  He needs 22 more to pass Ken Griffey Jr. for 15th.
4th in team history in total bases with 3791.  He needs 466 more to pass Charlie Gehringer for 3rd.

14th in MLB history in doubles with 607.  He needs 18 more to pass Hank Aaron for 13th.
5th in team history in doubles with 424.  He needs 74 more to pass Harry Heilmann for 4th.

57th in MLB history in walks with 1227.  He needs 17 more to pass Willie Randolph for 56th.
7th in team history in walks with 905.  He needs 121 more to pass Norm Cash for 6th.

16th in MLB history in extra base hits with 1131.  He needs 6 more to pass Ty Cobb for 15th.
5th in team history in extra base hits with 800.  He needs 7 more to pass Harry Heilmann for 4th.

62nd in MLB history in runs scored with 1530.  He needs 3 more to pass Frankie Frisch for 61st.
9th in team history in runs scored with 1081.  He needs 35 more to pass Sam Crawford for 8th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i'd say he's close to a top ten tigers hitter.  maybe the dh on the tigers all time team?  cant put him over greenberg at first base.  hard to put him at third (where he would be far and away the best tiger of all time) since he so rarely played there and when he did he rarely played well.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'd say he's close to a top ten tigers hitter.  maybe the dh on the tigers all time team?  cant put him over greenberg at first base.  hard to put him at third (where he would be far and away the best tiger of all time) since he so rarely played there and when he did he rarely played well.

All kidding aside.... where would you put Brandon Inge for all time Tiger 3B?

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

All kidding aside.... where would you put Brandon Inge for all time Tiger 3B?

off the top of my head...

kell...fryman....inge?

does tony phillips count as a third baseman?

cabrera almost had more war in the three years he was playing some third base in detroit than inge had in his whole career.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

off the top of my head...

kell...fryman....inge?

does tony phillips count as a third baseman?

cabrera almost had more war in the three years he was playing some third base in detroit than inge had in his whole career.

Ray Boone over Inge for sure.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

You can name 10 hitters better than Cabrera in Tigers history?

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

You can name 10 hitters better than Cabrera in Tigers history?

in their career just as tigers?  it would be close.

cobb, kaline, greenberg, gehringer, trammell, whitaker, heilman, crawford, cash.  then miggy?  was miggy better as a tiger than cash?  maybe.

was he better than bobby veach?  or freehan?  i'd say yes.

i think people forget how good bobby veach was.

15 minutes ago, buddha said:

in their career just as tigers?  it would be close.

cobb, kaline, greenberg, gehringer, trammell, whitaker, heilman, crawford, cash.  then miggy?  was miggy better as a tiger than cash?  maybe.

was he better than bobby veach?  or freehan?  i'd say yes.

i think people forget how good bobby veach was.

As a Tiger. Just looking at Trammell, Cabrera's OPS is over 100 points higher as Tiger, nearly double the HR, and leads in just about every statistical category except hits in which Trammell only has about 100 more in over 200 more games. I'm not sure how it's even close. Norm Cash has 4 more HR as a Tiger than Cabrera. Trails in everything else. How is that a maybe? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

As a Tiger. Just looking at Trammell, Cabrera's OPS is over 100 points higher as Tiger, nearly double the HR, and leads in just about every statistical category except hits in which Trammell only has about 100 more in over 200 more games. I'm not sure how it's even close. Norm Cash has 4 more HR as a Tiger than Cabrera. Trails in everything else. How is that a maybe? 

because trammell plays shortstop and miggy plays dh.

maybe i should have said position player and not "hitter"?

2 hours ago, buddha said:

because trammell plays shortstop and miggy plays dh.

maybe i should have said position player and not "hitter"?

Yes, that is a big clarification.  As a hitter I have a hard time saying anyone but Cobb and maybe Greenberg.

Edited by 4hzglory

5 hours ago, buddha said:

I liked him at third.  If you hit it right to him he made all the plays, and he had a cannon arm.  

• Like 1

He should retire with a BA over .300.  We'll be seeing less of that going forward unless hitting approaches change drastically.

Historically...as a hitter...nobody in my lifetime as a Tigers fan (circa 1970) holds a candle to Miggy.  If he had stayed healthy and played in a normal park...he probably would be closing in on 700 HR's

28 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

He should retire with a BA over .300.  We'll be seeing less of that going forward unless hitting approaches change drastically.

Historically...as a hitter...nobody in my lifetime as a Tigers fan (circa 1970) holds a candle to Miggy.  If he had stayed healthy and played in a normal park...he probably would be closing in on 700 HR's

Not to get off topic, but I was listening to a podcast where they were discussing what could have happened had Pujols stayed in STL. Good chance he'd be the all time HR leader. Anaheim is not a HR park, and he is always just a better player as a Cardinal.

4 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Hitting is going to go way, way up with limited shifting allowed. Instead of signing/drafting players who can hit to all fields (like Cabrera) they limit where the defenders can play. Analytics taking a huge step back.

5 hours ago, ben9753 said:

Not to get off topic, but I was listening to a podcast where they were discussing what could have happened had Pujols stayed in STL. Good chance he'd be the all time HR leader. Anaheim is not a HR park, and he is always just a better player as a Cardinal.

Pujols had such a strange downfall, perhaps it was just playing in LAA but it was weird cause he still had years where he hit for power, had 3 years where he hit 30+ and even 40 once but even in those years he couldn't crack .800 OPS. Looking a little deeper his K rate went up slightly in those decline years but only a couple percentage points which considering the league wide increase in K's that probably just coincided with that but the difference was his BABIP dropped over 50 points most years and over 100 some and his walk rate just plummeted. His Walk rate was half or even a third some years of what it was in St. Louis.  Also at the age of 42 he just produced his 2nd highest HR percentage of his entire career.

23 hours ago, buddha said:

Close to top ten?  This is the silliest thing I've read since someone typed in the college forums that U of Minnesota football head coach to U of Wisconsin football head coach was a lateral move.

6 hours ago, casimir said:

Close to top ten?  This is the silliest thing I've read since someone typed in the college forums that U of Minnesota football head coach to U of Wisconsin football head coach was a lateral move.

i have him 9th.  but again, i should have said position player instead of "hitter."