2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

Given that the season is  basically over after week 5 and has turned into a complete calamity, I thought it was a good time to start up the 2023 draft thread.

Right now we're on track for the #1 pick overall and it doesn't look like that's changing anytime soon. What players are you most interested at this point in time?

if they have another top three pick it MUST be a qb.

i hesitate to say this because its the lions, but most teams dont pick top 3 or so very often.  you have to grab a qb if he's there.

stroud, levis, and young seem to be the consensus 1-2-3.  young is too small, levis too untested, and stroud is too buckeye.  i really like bryce young, but i feel he's going to get injured in the nfl because he's so small.  stroud is the better prospect but can you beat the buckeye out of him?  life is easy for stroud at osu, its a little tougher in the nfl (/fields, justin).  i dont know enough about levis to say.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If you've got the choice between an elite edge prospect like Will Anderson or a QB like Bryce Young or CJ Stroud are you still going pass rusher at that point?

no.  but we still desperately need a speed rusher.  

has to be a qb if its top 3.  

I don't trust an Ohio State QB.  They are not asked to do the things an NFL QB is asked to do.  I understand the concern about Young's size, but Jalen Hurts isn't all that big either.  With the right scheme & protection he could be okay.  I also would not be heart-broken if they went defense with both picks.  That side of the ball is a dumpster fire.

On 10/9/2022 at 9:02 PM, buddha said:

if they have another top three pick it MUST be a qb.

i hesitate to say this because its the lions, but most teams dont pick top 3 or so very often.  you have to grab a qb if he's there.

stroud, levis, and young seem to be the consensus 1-2-3.  young is too small, levis too untested, and stroud is too buckeye.  i really like bryce young, but i feel he's going to get injured in the nfl because he's so small.  stroud is the better prospect but can you beat the buckeye out of him?  life is easy for stroud at osu, its a little tougher in the nfl (/fields, justin).  i dont know enough about levis to say.

Have Kyler Murray or Baker Mayfield been injured a lot? I think Murray is who Young compares to the most more than Mayfield in terms of talent. But in terms of size and stature, I don't recall Murray or Mayfield being significantly more injury prone than their peers and missing substantial time as a result.

34 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Have Kyler Murray or Baker Mayfield been injured a lot? I think Murray is who Young compares to the most more than Mayfield in terms of talent. But in terms of size and stature, I don't recall Murray or Mayfield being significantly more injury prone than their peers and missing substantial time as a result.

mayfield has been injured a lot.

murray is small but built like a tank.  he has had a few injuries, but nothing more than normal for an nfl qb.

On 10/11/2022 at 4:31 PM, djhutch said:

I don't trust an Ohio State QB.  They are not asked to do the things an NFL QB is asked to do.  I understand the concern about Young's size, but Jalen Hurts isn't all that big either.  With the right scheme & protection he could be okay.  I also would not be heart-broken if they went defense with both picks.  That side of the ball is a dumpster fire.

I don't trust Ohio State QBs ause of the past

But take an alabama guy. 

Mac Jones, Tua, Jalen Hurts, mcCarron, McElroy, Croyle are who Saban has had drafted. Not like that group is lighting it up either. 

On 10/12/2022 at 9:24 AM, Motown Bombers said:

We'll see at the combine/pro day, but Young's listed height and weight is almost identical to Drew Brees.*

*Disclaimer for KL2; this in no way, shape or form means that Drew Brees and Bryce Young are the same. 

So then the point of your comment was? That humans have similar heights and weight. Thanks for the amazing insight. 

16 minutes ago, KL2 said:

So then the point of your comment was? That humans have similar heights and weight. Thanks for the amazing insight. 

Find that post of me saying Goff and Stafford are the same liar?

You're welcome for the insight. Unfortunately a year from now you'll just be lying about what I actually said.

Edited by Motown Bombers

3 hours ago, KL2 said:

Why can you not point out differences of opinion without coming off as an insolent 12 yr old?

Edited by djhutch
  • Thanks 1

From scouts and football people I follow on Twitter according to many of their remarks the biggest hinderance for shorter qbs is not necessarily the batted balls even though that doesnt help either but just their overall vision on the field and how much more apt they are to miss a wide open receiver and/or a defender "laying in the weeds" baiting the throw. 

• 1 month later...

What are people's thoughts on Bijan Robinson, the RB out of Texas? Peeked at a couple mocks this morning and at least one had us taking him with the Rams pick, comparing him to Saquon Barkley.

I haven't been blown away by any (either) of the high 1st Round QB prospects. They seem to have a flaw or flaws that could prove deadly, which is a dangerous proposition for a pick you hang your regime on. Plus they probably won't be there anyway, they'll likely go 1 and 2. I like the later 1sts/2nd round QB prospects more (Hooker, Richardson, Levis, maybe Jefferson or Penix), as possible franchise QBs with less risk than a Young or Stroud.

I don't think we will be giving Swift any sort of meaningful extension and Jamaal is on his contract year. If we are sticking with Goff for at least one more year, I think his success is directly correlated to the talent that surrounds him. Even beyond that, if we do take Hooker or Richardson (or whoever), their success in late 2024 is also going to be predicated on the talent around him (see Trevor Lawrence, see Mac Jones).

I'm not usually a fan of 1st round RBs, but I can see the appeal of putting in a true RB1 bell cow behind this line and between ASB and Jamo. And you'd still have three picks across the first two rounds, plus free agency, to plug-and-play with the secondary (LB and CB especially) and/or take a future QB.

RBs these days have a short shelf life. And if Robinson stays healthy through his rookie contract, you’ll have to sign him to a massive extension or let him walk. 

This was kind of the same argument on Hock. If he has the potential to be as game-changing as Kittle or Kelce (ha!), positional value doesn’t matter. We see how that worked out, with Holmes deciding he wasn’t worth the contract he would command… while the next guy, Ed Oliver, is at least as valuable as Hock but will re-sign for much less.