2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

On 11/25/2022 at 4:20 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

I think the question is more along the lines of whether Robinson is "special" enough to ignore a general rule that you don't draft RBs in the first round. Similar to the question Kyle Pitts raised two years ago (who I think the Falcons are completely misusing, but that's besides the point).

I don't think there is any question that if Will Anderson or Jalen Carter are there, you take them. The question is more so if you have Robinson graded as a top 5 pick and the best remaining defensive player graded top 15, do you take Robinson and wait to grab one of your top remaining defensive players for the second pick?

If they they think he is going to be Alvin Kamara or Christian McCaffery, you have to strongly consider it. I'm okay with the answer being no though also. I agree that RBs shouldn't usually be taken in the first round, but if that were a blanket rule you wouldn't have drafted Barry. I know it's a different era, but still.

If the comp is Marshall Faulk, though...

https://www.walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Bijan-Robinson-Compared-to-Marshall-Faulk 

16 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

So he's basically Jared Goff?

*Ducks*

I saw one analyst, I think on PFF, who uses that exact comparison on Stroud.  Personally I think he may be a little closer to Justin Herbert.  Stroud is not expected to run out of the pocket at OSU, but then again there's really only one opponent he may need to do that against.  Given the right circumstances, I think he could use his feet a little better if he needed to.  Still, he was rattled yesterday & that's my biggest concern with Goff.  Sometimes he's got deer-in-the-headlights look about him.  . If we're replacing Goff I'd rather do it with someone who isn't like him.  

12 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I saw one analyst, I think on PFF, who uses that exact comparison on Stroud.  Personally I think he may be a little closer to Justin Herbert.  Stroud is not expected to run out of the pocket at OSU, but then again there's really only one opponent he may need to do that against.  Given the right circumstances, I think he could use his feet a little better if he needed to.  Still, he was rattled yesterday & that's my biggest concern with Goff.  Sometimes he's got deer-in-the-headlights look about him.  . If we're replacing Goff I'd rather do it with someone who isn't like him.  

Stroud's worst play was probably the late INT on the attempted shovel pass. That was a just a bad play - you have to know when to take the sack/throw it away. BTW - That impresses about JJ, you don't see him force a play very often other than on long shots down the field where a possible INT amounts to a punt by other means. Maybe that's Harbaugh's tutelage, maybe it's also from playing along side McNamara, whose biggest asset was his lack of panic.

• Like 1

i thought stroud has looked pretty good against michigan.  not perfect, of course, but he dropped some absolute dimes into really good coverage.

the caveat being we dont have the all 22 and cant see what's down the field.  but he has an nfl arm and nfl accuracy.

its not going to matter, the lions arent going to have a shot at him.  the texans and panthers look like 1-2 and they both need qbs.  the only possibility is if the bears sneak in at a top 2 pick.  they'd definitely trade down.

otoh, with stafford looking like he might be out for the season, kupp gone, and the rams reeling now....

Edited by buddha

On 11/26/2022 at 11:58 AM, Motown Bombers said:

I know it will never happen, but I would like to see platooning QBs. Goff would be the starter but then you bring in Richardson in the middle of the game for a change of pace for a few drives and bring Goff back in to close it out. Against teams like the Lions who struggle with mobile QBs, maybe you give Richardson more snaps.

Lions did that with McMahan a little bit, didn't they?

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Rams are up to #3 now with a good shot at #2. I would seriously consider trading down and acquiring picks next year for a potential QB.

If Will Anderson is there, I think you have to consider him... And by consider him, it may be a Sewell situation where they submit that pick before the NFL is ready for it. He has had a "down" year this season, which for him is 10 sacks and 17 TFL through 12 games. He was an absolute freak of nature last year, with 17.5 sacks, 31 TFL, and 101(!) total tackles.

Him and Hutch on opposite sides of the line could dominate the NFC North for a decade to come.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If Will Anderson is there, I think you have to consider him... And by consider him, it may be a Sewell situation where they submit that pick before the NFL is ready for it. He has had a "down" year this season, which for him is 10 sacks and 17 TFL through 12 games. He was an absolute freak of nature last year, with 17.5 sacks, 31 TFL, and 101(!) total tackles.

Him and Hutch on opposite sides of the line could dominate the NFC North for a decade to come.

I could do that at the #2 or 3 spot... easily.

14 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm fine with it. They can take the best defensive player available regardless of position. I have a feeling if Chicago stays at 2, Anderson doesn't make it past them. They need a pass rusher in the worst way. I still like a trade down with a team like Carolina where you can still stay in the top 10 and pick up additional 1st next year. 

On 11/26/2022 at 12:45 AM, buddha said:

he's very athletic, that's for sure.  a lot of the passes he throws look good, but then you see just the complete terrible ones thrown to no one.  i dont know enough about football to know of he's doing a good job finding receivers downfield or going through his progressions.

will levis, for all his flaws, also plays in the sec with undermanned receovers amd has a 67% completion rating.

Not that I'm advocating for taking either of these guys with the 1st rounders but Levis's completion percentage is likely higher because Kentucky plays a MUCH more conservative offense, rarely push the ball downfield. Also, Levis is 2 years older so he's more polished than Richardson is.

With that said, once again, this is a QB class filled with flaws so you're taking a leap of faith if you take any of these guys with a high 1st (which is where both of the Lions 1sts appear to be headed).

If you look at Mahomes and Allen going into the draft, both were quite raw but also had an enticing skillset so if you believe in franchise upside, you have to roll the dice at some point. Out of all the QBs in this draft, I think Richardson provides the biggest boom potential but it also comes with a lot of bust potential. If he's there in the 2nd, I might be willing to take a chance especially since they now have another 2nd to play with.

Edited by NYLion

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm fine with it. They can take the best defensive player available regardless of position. I have a feeling if Chicago stays at 2, Anderson doesn't make it past them. They need a pass rusher in the worst way. I still like a trade down with a team like Carolina where you can still stay in the top 10 and pick up additional 1st next year. 

I think any of Chicago, Seattle, or Pittsburgh may snag him if given the opportunity. Carolina and Houston are the two that are almost certain to take a QB.

It's a long way to the draft though. It's certainly possible that a Travon Walker has a meteoric rise out of nowhere and Anderson drops just enough.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Motown Bombers: The Lions need to do everything to win now. They got goff they got pieces win today don't worry about tomorrow/

Also Motowon Bombers: They should take a lesser player so they can hopefully add some talent in the future. 

So which is? Try to win now or move down in the draft and add players in 2024? 

• Sad 1

While I don't trust any of the qbs enough this year to take in the top 5 Im far from an expert to put it mildly so if Holmes thinks one of the qbs is worth the pick Ir be fine with that as well, then just go defense with our 2nd pick and possibly 2nd rounder.

I say possibly cause Id still like a big outside WR but haven't looked closely enough at this class to say anybody in particular. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

If you could be guaranteed that CJ Stroud or Bryce Young would be not be significantly better nor significantly worse then Jared Goff has been, would having a QB on a rookie contract be worth it? When Goff made the Super Bowl he did so on a rookie contract himself. Does having the extra cap space that a rookie QB contract can free up for 3-4 seasons make it worth it to gamble on Stroud or Young?

27 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Motown Bombers: The Lions need to do everything to win now. They got goff they got pieces win today don't worry about tomorrow/

Also Motowon Bombers: They should take a lesser player so they can hopefully add some talent in the future. 

So which is? Try to win now or move down in the draft and add players in 2024? 

I didn't say anything of the sort you worthless liar.

I'll spell it out for you but I'm not sure the point since you will just make up something down the road because you are obsessed with me. Goff is good enough to win like Alex Smith or Jimmy Garapolo. You do not need to replace him this draft. You can build a roster around Goff that's good enough to make the playoffs next year and have assets to trade for a QB next year when Caleb Williams may be available or someone else. It's the approach Kansas City took and their GM just happens to be in the Lions front office.

To answer your question, it's both. They can win now and draft their future QB next year with picks they acquire this year.

Now you can go fuck off.

5 hours ago, NYLion said:

Not that I'm advocating for taking either of these guys with the 1st rounders but Levis's completion percentage is likely higher because Kentucky plays a MUCH more conservative offense, rarely push the ball downfield. Also, Levis is 2 years older so he's more polished than Richardson is.

With that said, once again, this is a QB class filled with flaws so you're taking a leap of faith if you take any of these guys with a high 1st (which is where both of the Lions 1sts appear to be headed).

If you look at Mahomes and Allen going into the draft, both were quite raw but also had an enticing skillset so if you believe in franchise upside, you have to roll the dice at some point. Out of all the QBs in this draft, I think Richardson provides the biggest boom potential but it also comes with a lot of bust potential. If he's there in the 2nd, I might be willing to take a chance especially since they now have another 2nd to play with.

all good points.

i'll leave it to the people with actual talent evaluating skills (i.e. not me) to make thar decision because i really have no idea.

(which will not prevent me from making my usual half assed opinions om the subject)

I’m not loving of any of these QB’s at the top.  I like Stroud better than Levis and Young but would probably pass on all 3.  Anderson or Carter for the defense would be great with the Rams pick.  Maybe even trade back to between 7-10 with a team wanting a QB and take CB Ringo with that pick.   Definitely see them taking a corner somewhere in the first.  

The challenge with all of this is they will need a QB soon.  Goff can hold it for a year more but they need a future QB and I don’t know where that comes from.  I don’t see us picking this high again and so maybe it might be the best to take one here.   As much as I am not excited by these guys, I am reminded at how much I liked Sam Darnold and hated Justin Herbert.  

Edited by Hongbit

Have to wonder how far Hooker is going to fall with his injury. A torn ACL in week 11 is likely going to sideline him for much of the 2023 NFL season. If he's a guy you like, he could be there in the 3rd round or later, and you don't even have to worry about calls to put him in for Goff for an entire season.

When you look at his SEC stat line, he seems like he could be very low risk (as far as selecting your future QB1 goes) and potentially immense reward.

1945068071_ScreenShot2022-11-28at6_45_44PM.thumb.png.b646ab6ea2a964de27ea839c6c0f0c7b.png

40 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

...  Definitely see them taking a corner somewhere in the first...

I don't think that's a definite at all...

Not with the way that Holmes drafts (meaning he can find productive players in later rounds, not limited to 1st rounders only...)

I think Holmes would look at it as he's got 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds and will look to add as much playmaking talent as he can. 5 picks and need to add (1) playmaking DL'man, LB'er, CB, RB (to back up Swift), and a QB if the right one falls to us into the right draft pick position.

IMO.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't think that's a definite at all...

Not with the way that Holmes drafts (meaning he can find productive players in later rounds, not limited to 1st rounders only...)

I think Holmes would look at it as he's got 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds and will look to add as much playmaking talent as he can. 5 picks and need to add (1) playmaking DL'man, LB'er, CB, RB (to back up Swift), and a QB if the right one falls to us into the right draft pick position.

IMO.

Lockdown CB is a must. He will find his Jalen Ramsey. Those guys go early. 

3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I saw some pundit speculating about Geno Smith. He is going to cash in this offseason. Does Holmes sign him to a three year deal front loaded with a big (for Geno) guarantee and draft Richardson with a 2, then design an RPO offense around their skill set?

no on geno.  hard pass.

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Have to wonder how far Hooker is going to fall with his injury. A torn ACL in week 11 is likely going to sideline him for much of the 2023 NFL season. If he's a guy you like, he could be there in the 3rd round or later, and you don't even have to worry about calls to put him in for Goff for an entire season.

When you look at his SEC stat line, he seems like he could be very low risk (as far as selecting your future QB1 goes) and potentially immense reward.

1945068071_ScreenShot2022-11-28at6_45_44PM.thumb.png.b646ab6ea2a964de27ea839c6c0f0c7b.png

plays in a very qb friendly offense.  reportedly only has one read to make.  old.  injured.

3rd round flyer.