2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

The key will probably be the Broncos/Rams game.  If the Rams lose that they obviously move ahead of the Broncos.  Assuming they lose all their rest (as Chicago will probably do), then there's a good chance the rams move up to #2.  Looking at current standings all Chicago opponents (past and future) have a record of 118/87/2 (I'm assuming games played against division opponents count twice) while LARams opposition record is 103/104.

Yep, that's a big one. The Broncos have a ROUGH schedule so if the Rams beat them, the pick isn't going to be higher than 3. The Bears also have a tough schedule, like REALLY tough.

I think 4 at best is the most likely scenario which will be a good spot because they'll have a shot at Anderson or Carter (I personally LOVE Carter) or if both are taken, it's trade bait for a QB needy team. We just have to hope that the Rams don't fall in with a bunch of those current 4 win teams or it could slide to the bottom part of the top 10. The New Orleans loss on MNF really stung.

Edited by NYLion

If we can walk out of day one with Carter and a CB like Porter or Cam Smith...I'll be ecstatic.  If the Rams magically fall into that 5-10 range and we land in the teens...then we can look at Ringo/ Myles Murphy and Bresee / Joey Porter.

Either way, we have a golden opportunity to get two more defensive starters with high end potential on day one.  Teams may become to fear us

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

If we can walk out of day one with Carter and a CB like Porter or Cam Smith...I'll be ecstatic.  If the Rams magically fall into that 5-10 range and we land in the teens...then we can look at Ringo/ Myles Murphy and Bresee / Joey Porter.

Either way, we have a golden opportunity to get two more defensive starters with high end potential on day one.  Teams may become to fear us

With those becoming sure picks I can’t wait to see what gems Holmes pulls out of the lower rounds. 

It really is fun looking at your team the way an average NFL fan gets to for once. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Carolina was well on their way to the number one pick until they benched Mayfield so the answer is no.

Well, this aged poorly. The Rams lose that game if Wolford starts. Now we're likely looking at a pick in the 7-10 range which is still nice especially considering how the Rams looked going into the season but still a bit disappointing based on recent events.

8 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Well, this aged poorly. The Rams lose that game if Wolford starts. Now we're likely looking at a pick in the 7-10 range which is still nice especially considering how the Rams looked going into the season but still a bit disappointing based on recent events.

They also don't win if the Raiders don't commit bad penalties. 

6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I think the Raiders lost that game far more than Baker won it, though the final drive might say different. They have the Packers, Broncos, Chargers, and Seahawks left. I'd be surprised if they won two of those and not surprised if they went 0-4. I do think the highest they are looking at is #3 now though, I doubt Chicago wins another.

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think the Raiders lost that game far more than Baker won it, though the final drive might say different. They have the Packers, Broncos, Chargers, and Seahawks left. I'd be surprised if they won two of those and not surprised if they went 0-4. I do think the highest they are looking at is #3 now though, I doubt Chicago wins another.

Oh I don't disagree but Baker made numerous key throws in the final two drives that Wolford wouldn't have made. The Raiders, and that utter clown McDaniels, did their part to choke that game away as well.

I think the Rams win 1 or 2 more. It'll come down to tiebreakers since they'll likely be in that mess of 7-8 teams with similar win totals. This win was a killer for those hoping for Anderson or Carter. Those guys are more than likely out of reach now.

I believe I've seen some commentary on whether the Lions should draft a QB in the 2023 draft and I wanted to add some comments of my own...

But I think I want to use the draft thread here for those comments so they don't get lost in the game threads... and I think this will be a hot topic all the way until they actually finish that draft.

My thoughts on drafting a QB in 2023:

A) Using a 1st rounder on a QB next year is problematic. It says that Goff is going to be replaced by the new QB... maybe sooner, maybe later. But... I don't think Lions management intends to do that AT ALL. Certainly not in 2023. I believe they bought into Goff (traded for him) right from the start. They aren't moving on from him. I don't want to say "period"; but I just do not see it realistically being on the Lions Radar. Maybe if he flops in the Super Bowl or the playoffs... but we're not there yet, obviously. It doesn't matter that we're in the best "position" to grab the next franchise QB... not if the Lions believe Goff IS their franchise QB. The Lions next move will be to extend him. I believe Goff is our starting QB, now and for the next 5-ish years. To me, that means no possibility of drafting a 1st round QB.

B) After the 1st round... there are sometimes starting QB's found... but in my mind, starting in the 2nd round until the end of the draft is where I am looking for a good backup QB to draft and develop. And just as we need (IMO) a backup RB in case Swift falls apart (in fact, in my mind, it's a MUST in the 1st three rounds to draft another RB...), and could use another backup OC/OG... we have Nate Sudfeld as our backup QB so anybody we draft, outside the 1st, seems to me to be a useful pick to make if the Lions believe they can develop him into a capable backup or better...

C) That being said... I want playmakers/ gamechangers drafted for all 3 levels of the defense. First and foremost... with our top three picks. Now, we may not be in the right draft slots to hit all 3 areas with our 1st three draft picks, or the draft may not fall our way just right... But if possible, before I even consider backups at RB or QB or OC/OG... I want those defensive playmakers. And at the top of the draft where we can get the highest level of those players. 

So, IMO (and feel free to disagree with me on the longevity of Goff as a Lion...), the MOST LIKELY 2023 draft includes selecting a game changing D-Lineman with the Rams pick (if it's not Anderson or Carter than they are looking at Myles Murphy...). If they fall out of range of these guys than they're looking at the top CB's with the Rams pick. Ringo might be worthy of a top-10 pick, not certain any other CB is... If getting a DL with the Rams pick, then we're looking at Porter at CB with the Lions pick, or Cam Smith or Chris Gonzalez... one of these guys (or two) should be available when the Lions take their own 1st round pick. If they miss on DL with the Rams pick, then they should grab Ringo and then still look for a DL with their own pick... guys like Tyree Wilson or Jared Verse or Nolan Smith. But also... depending how the draft falls, the Lions might also be looking at a top LB'er like Trent Simpson.

I'm confidant Weaver will figure this out for the best two players for the Lions. But I'm 99.9% certain it's two defensive guys for us in the 1st and no one on Offense with those picks. Not even a franchise QB.

In the 2nd? Best talent that falls to us... premium towards that 3rd defensive key player but also, backup RB comes into play here. With two 2nd rounders, Weaver will figure taht out.

In the 3rd and later rounds, either a falling QB they want to develop as a backup or more O-Line help/ depth. And the later rounds for whatever they don't get in the 3rd and... I'm also on board with using a higher round draft pick for any phenomenal kicker that is available (IF there is one) in 2023...

So... just thinking about a few things (drafting a QB on the back-burner, emphasis on defensive playmakers, could use Kicking competition and backups at OL, RB, and QB (if the right guy is there))... I did a PFN Simulator and ended up with (making only 1 trade that I couldn't pass up... I didn't accept anything crazy/ ridiculous... but this one was just too good and not completely outrageous... I traded a 5th and down two spots with our pick in the 1st and gained #17 and a 3rd rounder, #71): 

This is who I ended up with:

Jalen Carter
DT Georgia
17 Joey Porter Jr. CB Penn State
46 Jordan Battle S Alabama
60 Andre Carter II EDGE Army
71 DeMarvion Overshown LB Texas
78 Blake Corum RB Michigan
166 Joe Tippmann OC Wisconsin
178 Noah Ruggles K Ohio State

A pass-rushing interior terror in Jalen Carter, a tough and lengthy CB in Joey Porter Jr., a playmaking all-over-the-field Safety in Battle, a pass-rushing DE that may grow into a complete starter, a tall, rangy coverage LB'er in Overshown, UM RB Corum, a 6' 6" athletic OC who may be able to play all along the line in Tippmann, and the top-rated Kicker out of college in Ruggles. Anything after this I think is icing...

• Like 1

So, Rams still hold onto the 4th pick. Seattle via Denver moves into 2nd and Chicago moves to 3rd. I think QBs go 1 and 2, Will Anderson likely goes to Chicago, so I think the Lions have to select Carter at 4. Someone who can generate pass rush up the middle with Hutchinson on one side and Paschal/Houston on the other and you have one formidable line. Go CB with the Lions pick and then add a LB in the 2nd. I would like to see a RG by the third round if they don't sign one in free agency. Maybe look for a project RB in the 5th to groom before Swift hits free agency. 

Houston really has a chance to do something special.   Trade the #1 to a team like an Indy or Washington for a package with #1’s in 24 and 25.   They already have extra firsts from Cleveland in both years.  Use the extra pick from Cleveland this year to pick the best OL that you can find.  Retain Lovie and run the biggest tank the league has ever seen.   Take Caleb #1 next year and hire Lincoln Riley to come along and start building it up with 3 1st rounders in 24 and 25 drafts.  

Edited by Hongbit

12 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Houston really has a chance to do something special.   Trade the #1 to a team like an Indy or Washington for a package with #1’s in 24 and 25.   They already have extra firsts from Cleveland in both years.  Use the extra pick from Cleveland this year to pick the best OL that you can find.  Retain Lovie and run the biggest tank the league has ever seen.   Take Caleb #1 next year and hire Lincoln Riley to come along and start building it up with 3 1st rounders in 24 and 25 drafts.  

Yeah but you forgot that they're Houston. They'll mess it up and take Quinn Ewers at #1 overall because #TexasRoots

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Houston looked like they had a good thing going. They had Watson and Hopkins and ended up trading Hopkins for an injured RB and traded what ended up being the 3rd overall pick for Tunsil. 

They had a really good GM in Rick Smith and a decent HC in Bill O'Brien, but no institutional control. The inmates started running the asylum and the McNairs were clueless as to how to handle it. They ended up handing the keys to the egomaniac O'Brien, fired Smith while his wife was dying of cancer, and then watched as BOB completely dismantled everything Smith had built.

Smith probably deserves some of the blame for what transpired, but I'm surprised he hasn't gotten another shot somewhere.