2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

49 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I know some people aren't big on the "culture" thing but Williams is a huge part of this culture they're building and he probably has a few years left in the tank to contribute on the field as much as he does off so if they can lock him at reasonable dollars, I think it's a must sign. I also think he's the type that will take a bit of a paycut to stay here.

I don't think he's going to take a pay cut. Not a chance.

But if you mean will he take less than max value to stay... I'm on board with that if it is indeed "reasonable". But $7 mill is just too much, even given the culture/ locker room presence, which I agree with, and all those TD's he scoring...

51 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I know some people aren't big on the "culture" thing but Williams is a huge part of this culture they're building and he probably has a few years left in the tank to contribute on the field as much as he does off so if they can lock him at reasonable dollars, I think it's a must sign. I also think he's the type that will take a bit of a paycut to stay here.

If he will stay here as the 3rd down and goal line back (at that price point), I'm all for re-signing him. I just think there will be a team out there that sees him as their RB1 next year, and be willing to pay him as such.

56 minutes ago, NYLion said:

He’s not going to cut his salary by two thirds to stay here. And I doubt Holmes is going to more than double it to keep him. 

22 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If he will stay here as the 3rd down and goal line back (at that price point), I'm all for re-signing him. I just think there will be a team out there that sees him as their RB1 next year, and be willing to pay him as such.

If that's the case then you let him go. I'd only re-sign him at a reasonable price. I don't think the market for him will be as robust as some people think which is why I think there's a solid chance he re-signs here.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

WTF is wrong with Bears fans?

Ya know... the really, really, really stupid thing here is that these sorts of trades... where you give away the entire house along with the kitchen sink only seem to happen when we're talking a franchise QB, can't miss prospect is available.  Let's assume that such a QB even exists at the time of the draft... why would the Lions pay that much to move ahead of the Bears who already have a QB they love?

The only possible reason is if someone else is offering a similar package to get this mystery QB.  But... if there is a QB worthy of mortgaging the future for, why would the Lions trade with the Bears at #2?  I can't imagine a team with the #1 pick rejecting an offer like this.  Heck, even if I'm that team and I need a QB I would seriously consider that offer.  Move back two spaces and pick up an extra first rounder this year and next year (not to mention all the other picks)?  Yes please.

This offer is just so ridiculously one sided.  If Holmes did this with the Bears... giving a north division rival this kind of haul... it should be fired before he could put in the pick.

2 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Ya know... the really, really, really stupid thing here is that these sorts of trades... where you give away the entire house along with the kitchen sink only seem to happen when we're talking a franchise QB, can't miss prospect is available.  Let's assume that such a QB even exists at the time of the draft... why would the Lions pay that much to move ahead of the Bears who already have a QB they love?

The only possible reason is if someone else is offering a similar package to get this mystery QB.  But... if there is a QB worthy of mortgaging the future for, why would the Lions trade with the Bears at #2?  I can't imagine a team with the #1 pick rejecting an offer like this.  Heck, even if I'm that team and I need a QB I would seriously consider that offer.  Move back two spaces and pick up an extra first rounder this year and next year (not to mention all the other picks)?  Yes please.

This offer is just so ridiculously one sided.  If Holmes did this with the Bears... giving a north division rival this kind of haul... it should be fired before he could put in the pick.

They just think the Lions are dumb enough to do what they did to draft Trubisky while passing on Mahomes and Watson. 

The only reason to trade with them is to prevent another team from moving ahead of the Lions. I would rather pass and roll with Goff another year. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

If this was 2024 and we had to give that up to move up 1 spot to draft Caleb Williams I would strongly consider it just cause I think he is that special and a special qb is worth his weight in gold but this year I just don't see it with any of the guys.

They COULD be special but I don't have enough faith to give up a bounty for them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They just think the Lions are dumb enough to do what they did to draft Trubisky while passing on Mahomes and Watson. 

The only reason to trade with them is to prevent another team from moving ahead of the Lions. I would rather pass and roll with Goff another year. 

But the stupidity here is that IF the Lions were that high on a guy to make this trade, why wouldn't they do with with whomever has the #1 pick?  Why even risk (however unlikely that it is) that the their guy goes #1 overall?

The only way this makes sense (which it doesn't for some many other reasons) is if the Lions offered this deal to the tame with the overall #1 pick but that team rejected the Lions AND that team didn't draft the guy the Lions really wanted AND there was serious danger that someone else was going to move up and take the guy the Lions wanted.

It's just dumb stacked on top of stupid with a dash of idiotic thrown in.  It's horrible deal for the Lions in a totally unreasonable situation.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

If this was 2024 and we had to give that up to move up 1 spot to draft Caleb Williams I would strongly consider it just cause I think he is that special and a special qb is worth his weight in gold but this year I just don't see it with any of the guys.

They COULD be special but I don't have enough faith to give up a bounty for them. 

This is one of the reasons I would like to trade back this draft to a Carolina and pick up another 1st next year. You would still have two top 15 picks this year and have trade ammunition to get Caleb Williams next year. Meanwhile, Goff is still good enough to get you to the playoffs. 

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think if Poles called Holmes with that offer, Holmes should offer him Jarrad Davis in exchange for never calling us again.

25 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Caleb appears to be the prototypical modern QB prospect.   The similarities to Mahomes are enough that the trade cost will be obscenely high. Sean Payton even suggested that he’s so good valued there may be wide spread tanking that happens next year which leads to a future NFL draft lottery.     

The challenge with stocking up a ridiculous amount picks for 2024 and beyond to try to build a package to trade for Caleb is if a team that needs QB gets the #1 pick in 2024, they are taking Caleb Williams.  There is no trade package you can offer.   

Edited by Hongbit

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Caleb appears to be the prototypical modern QB prospect.   The similarities to Mahomes are enough that the trade cost will be obscenely high. Sean Payton even suggested that he’s so good valued there may be wide spread tanking that happens next year which leads to a future NFL draft lottery.     

The challenge with stocking up a ridiculous amount picks for 2024 and beyond to try to build a package to trade for Caleb is if a team that needs QB gets the #1 pick in 2024, they are taking Caleb Williams.  There is no trade package you can offer.   

Could he not declare for the draft this year? I am sure he would go #1 this year, why risk injury playing college one more year?

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

unless the team picking #1 needs a qb.  then they'll never trade the pick.