2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

I was wondering about JJ as an NFL prospect, my first thought was that he even if he cleaned up his throwing he seemed too small but he's listed at 6'3 200lbs, I know you take those listings with a grain of salt but if he is even close to those numbers that's plenty big enough in todays NFL.

On 11/30/2022 at 2:08 PM, Motown Bombers said:

This is one of the reasons I would like to trade back this draft to a Carolina and pick up another 1st next year. You would still have two top 15 picks this year and have trade ammunition to get Caleb Williams next year. Meanwhile, Goff is still good enough to get you to the playoffs. 

Bingo. If the Lions are considering a trade down to a team that badly wants a QB then their 2024 1st is a must especially if it's a jump of 3 spots or higher. The Jets traded three 2nds to move up from 6 to 3 for Darnold so I don't think a 2024 1st at minimum is an unreasonable ask for a similar jump. Build up that ammo for the Caleb Williams bidding war.

5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Bingo. If the Lions are considering a trade down to a team that badly wants a QB then their 2024 1st is a must especially if it's a jump of 3 spots or higher. The Jets traded three 2nds to move up from 6 to 3 for Darnold so I don't think a 2024 1st at minimum is an unreasonable ask for a similar jump. Build up that ammo for the Caleb Williams bidding war.

I really think someone is going to tank hard next year to draft Caleb and there won’t be any bidding war.

Houston should really trade the #1 this year for as many 2024 picks and look to go 1-16.  

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Or we could get real lucky and the team that we trade with ends up picking number 1 next year so we don't need to trade up.

That's kind of how I look at it if it's somebody like Carolina for instance. They'd be foolish to give up their 2024 1st under any circumstances but if they really believe in a guy this year and he's out of reach, they'll have to pay up.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I really think someone is going to tank hard next year to draft Caleb and there won’t be any bidding war.

Houston should really trade the #1 this year for as many 2024 picks and look to go 1-16.  

Or...

(And this won't happen but just speculating...)

Jax finishes with the worst record and then holds an auction for the #1 pick going to the highest bidder...

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Or...

(And this won't happen but just speculating...)

Jax finishes with the worst record and then holds an auction for the #1 pick going to the highest bidder...

If Jax finishes with the worst record then it means Lawrence is either a bust or had a major injury.  Either way in that scenario they would move on from him and draft Caleb.  

44 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

If Jax finishes with the worst record then it means Lawrence is either a bust or had a major injury.  Either way in that scenario they would move on from him and draft Caleb.  

Not necessarily...

But even if so...

OK, trade us Lawrence for one of our 1sts then...

The most realistic scenario is we get destroyed by injuries next year and are bottom feeders all year, we take solace in knowing that atleast Caleb Williams is at the end of the tunnel but in week 18 with all the number 1 pick marbles on the line with the Packers we win that game because of we for once in our life were the "benefactors" of some obscure call.

Then of course the Packers get Williams he goes on to be Peyton Manning and our qb becomes Ryan Leaf. Such as life as a Lions fan. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Haha 1

team logo
pfn-logo-black
  • DET
    Jalen Carter
    DT Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Joey Porter Jr.
    CB Penn State

• DET
    Henry To'oTo'o
    LB Alabama
    trade icon
  • DET
    JL Skinner
    S Boise State

• DET
    Blake Corum
    RB Michigan

• DET
    Jaheim Bell
    TE South Carolina
    trade icon
  • DET
    Olusegun Oluwatimi
    OC Michigan

• DET
    Tanner McKee
    QB Stanford

• 2024 SEA 2nd

Goff is top 10 in yards, TDs, QB rating and QBR and the Lions offense is top 10. I'm slowing the roll on going for a QB. Two top 15 picks, two 2nd round picks and a top 3rd rounder can net a couple starters. I have a feeling Anderson will be off the board by the Lions pick but I really think the interior of the line needs more work so it may not be the worst thing. 

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Goff is top 10 in yards, TDs, QB rating and QBR and the Lions offense is top 10. I'm slowing the roll on going for a QB. Two top 15 picks, two 2nd round picks and a top 3rd rounder can net a couple starters. I have a feeling Anderson will be off the board by the Lions pick but I really think the interior of the line needs more work so it may not be the worst thing. 

Im apathtic about taking a qb,if they see a guy they like early and they take him Ill be ok with it and trust Holmes same with taking more of a flyer like a Richardson. 

The only reason I'm not completely against taking a qb in light of Goff and the offenses play is that I'm not completely convinced that its cause of him or if its more of a Ben Johnson thing and if he leaves us to go elsewhere in the offseason will Goff's play revert back to the 15-22 range of QBs instead of borderline elite like he is now?

Edited by RandyMarsh

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Im apathtic about taking a qb,if they see a guy they like early and they take him Ill be ok with it and trust Holmes same with taking more of a flyer like a Richardson. 

The only reason I'm not completely against taking a qb in light of Goff and the offenses play is that I'm not completely convinced that its cause of him or if its more of a Ben Johnson thing and if he leaves us to go elsewhere in the offseason will Goff's play revert back to the 15-22 range of QBs instead of borderline elite like he is now?

Given how poorly Stafford performed this year, maybe the Rams will want to trade Stafford for Goff?

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Given how poorly Stafford performed this year, maybe the Rams will want to trade Stafford for Goff?

At the risk of this being brought back up a year from now out of context and completely wrong, I'm not sure I do that trade. Stafford is under contract through age 38. The Rams can't even trade him because the dead cap hit would be $50 million. The Rams loaded up for a Super Bowl run but this could get ugly. 

Yeah even with Staff back next year they are likely going to be terrible, yeah they still have some studs but they no depth and the spots that aren't studs aren't very good. 

Makes you wish we couldve squeezed one more 1st out of them cause I think they'll be picking in the top 10 again and if they suffer some key injuries like this year could have a legit shot at number 1.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The key will probably be the Broncos/Rams game.  If the Rams lose that they obviously move ahead of the Broncos.  Assuming they lose all their rest (as Chicago will probably do), then there's a good chance the rams move up to #2.  Looking at current standings all Chicago opponents (past and future) have a record of 118/87/2 (I'm assuming games played against division opponents count twice) while LARams opposition record is 103/104.