10/21/2022 7:30 EDT Detroit Pistons vs New York Knicks

casimir

Cade misses out on a few things since he is on the ball so much.

No corner threes.  Corner 3's are where shooters make their living since it is the shortest shot by distance.  Cade doesn't get a lot of corner attempts.  Looking at his shot chart I would guess he has 3-4 more attempts above the break than in the corners.  That will hurt someone's shooting percent.

He also does not get many catch and shoot attempts.  Players normally shoot a lower percentage off the dribble and that is where most of Cades attempts come from.

He doesn't get the open looks other shooters do.  I filtered his 3PTA's by closest defender and 19% of the time he had a wide open shot where the defender was 6+ feet away.  That put him in the bottom 3rd of the team last year.

But I will give him to the end of the season before judging.  If he shoots >33% this year I am concerned.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Cade misses out on a few things since he is on the ball so much.

No corner threes.  Corner 3's are where shooters make their living since it is the shortest shot by distance.  Cade doesn't get a lot of corner attempts.  Looking at his shot chart I would guess he has 3-4 more attempts above the break than in the corners.  That will hurt someone's shooting percent.

He also does not get many catch and shoot attempts.  Players normally shoot a lower percentage off the dribble and that is where most of Cades attempts come from.

He doesn't get the open looks other shooters do.  I filtered his 3PTA's by closest defender and 19% of the time he had a wide open shot where the defender was 6+ feet away.  That put him in the bottom 3rd of the team last year.

But I will give him to the end of the season before judging.  If he shoots >33% this year I am concerned.  

no doubt shot selection is part of the equation too, and that does go back to the team as well as Cade individually. You have to think having the ball in Ivey's hands more should help with some of that.

My biggest take away from watching this mess of a game was once again that Casey needs to learn how to stagger his lineups like pretty much every other coach in the league. One of Ivey or Cade should be in the game at all times. It’s not that hard to do. 

Oh, and if there’s time after that, maybe learn to put a legitimate NBA offense on the court. Tired of watching these players have to go one on one with a low shot clock all time because the garbage offense doesn’t shift the defense at all.

Young teams will be bad, but no need for Casey to continue to pour gasoline on the fire. 

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

the number of flat shots with no backspin remains worrisome.

Right, he hurls line drives that are wide as often as not.  Wonky-looking shot.  I like him as a person but as a player I am just not seeing it.  He reminds me of Stackhouse (who I did not like), an inefficient scorer without a very good jumpshot.

Cade is certainly *not* a ballhog like Stack was.