The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

2 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

... As for the impeachment vote, Ken Buck says that Scalise will be back tomorrow and they'll hold another vote around lunchtime.  Would be hilarious if another Republican defects and they still lose by one vote...

Oh please please please please 

PLEASE

Let me see that!

HAHAHA (wait... I better not do that in advance... need to count those Republican chickens AFTER they hatch!!!)

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Oh please please please please 

PLEASE

Let me see that!

HAHAHA (wait... I better not do that in advance... need to count those Republican chickens AFTER they hatch!!!)

It later came out that Scalise will not be coming back tomorrow.... we'll see if Mike Johnson notices lol

46 minutes ago, pfife said:

I'm glad the immigration bill didn't pass.   I hope Biden makes MAGA own the border now.

As much as we laugh about this stuff as well, it's pretty frustrating to know that Ukrainians are currently suffering real world consequences while these guys are busy with their performative dumb***ery.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

As much as we laugh about this stuff as well, it's pretty frustrating to know that Ukrainians are currently suffering real world consequences while these guys are busy with their performative dumb***ery.

yeah, I want that funding but I thought it was bull**** that Ukraine Aid was a concession to Dems from Republicans in this deal.   So something they support anyways was a concession

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It later came out that Scalise will not be coming back tomorrow.... we'll see if Mike Johnson notices lol

A stem cell transplant could lay him pretty low for a while. BTW, I wonder how many times in his career he's voted against the stem-cell research that is now giving him his main chance to keep living?

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, pfife said:

yeah, I want that funding but I thought it was bull**** that Ukraine Aid was a concession to Dems from Republicans in this deal.   So something they support anyways was a concession

Totally, I get it.

Just now, GoBlue23 said:

The motion to reconsider has to take place tomorrow.  Scalise will be there if they have to wheel him in wearing a hospital gown. 

Well, if they kill him to get his vote, that will just put them one closer to losing the rest of them for the remainder of the session. 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

A stem cell transplant could lay him pretty low for a while. BTW, I wonder how many times in his career he's voted against the stem-cell research that is now giving him his main chance to keep living?

From my recollection the objections the GOP had was over embryonic stem cell research, not stem cell research in general.  Not much of a distinction in my opinion as it's just a glob of cells but in their mind it is.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

From my recollection the objections the GOP had was over embryonic stem cell research, not stem cell research in general.  Not much of a distinction in my opinion as it's just a glob of cells but in their mind it is.

Correct, he's not getting embryonic cells in his graft, but all the Science is one knowledge base. They probably wouldn't know how to make his autologous graft work without all the companion science that's been developed.

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

What they should do on this border bill is strip out the aid package for Israel, Ukraine and any pork that might be hiding inside and then put it up for a vote.  At least that way Republicans can't claim they voted against it for other reasons.  They'll have to own the fact that they voted against a bill that was 100% focused on the border issues.  

100% my feeling,

On 2/6/2024 at 5:25 PM, 1984Echoes said:

... you might be right...

If the Senate passes a separate bill covering ALL of the defensive help they want to offer (Israel/ Taiwan/ Ukraine/ misc) and then runs the immigration bipartisan agreement from the Senate ONLY, as a separate bill...

That might put the House on the spot:

A) If they refuse to bring the defense portion to the floor they're showing their anti-Ukraine Pro-Trump hand publicly.

B) If they table the immigration portion because it's "too close to the election", they're boot-licking Trump and NOT working to solve America's problems.

B) If they run their OWN version of an immigration bill in the version that they keep SAYING they want passed; which would then go to House-Senate committee to resolve differences and then if it passes both chambers and sent to Biden for signature... then they are working for America and not Trump.

In effect... calling their bluff. On Israel. On Ukraine. On Taiwan. And on immigration. 

Which I think is your intent here...

Tigeraholic... you might be getting at least a part of your request:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/17-gop-senators-voted-advance-180626342.html

Business Insider

These 17 GOP senators voted to advance a $95.3 billion Ukraine and Israel aid package — without the controversial border provisions that Republicans have rejected

Bryan Metzger
Thu, February 8, 2024

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Anyone happen to know how Johnson is able to postpone the motion to reconsider on the Mayorkas impeachment into next week and beyond?  The rules state that a motion to reconsider has to be taken up the same or next legislative day.  I then seem to have found an additional stipulation that gives the Speaker the power to postpone it for two days.  That would mean that the vote has to take place today but I see no reporting that it will.  

I thought in the end the GOP was going to be short more than just Scalise anyway? - he may to find another vote or two if the timing is even going to matter.