THE GAME #118: #3 Michigan Wolverines (11-0) @ #2 Ohio State Buckeyes (11-0)

MichiganCardinal

Can't make any excuses about the weather this year either! BTW shout out to Michigan's DBs there may have been a play or two here and there but not counting when they were in total prevent defense they didn't let those great OSU WRs run free, it took great throws by Stroud for them to get any completions. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

242 yards rushing in the second half, simply incredible!

It was an ironic win though. OSU was able to sell out and stop the run when they choose to so it was JJ's passing that broke the game into M's favor. It was pretty much after M got the lead and forced OSU to overplay that it opened up the big runs for Edwards. I'll give Harbaugh credit for not being stubborn - when he had to go pass he went pass and stuck with it even after JJ missed a few early.

Also have to credit the officiating crew. The OSU corners were not playing the ball and those were good PI calls but it's all too easy to imagine a universe where they were not  called.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Since I have to be a Debbie Downer the bad thing about us blowing it open in the 2nd half along with Clemson's loss is that this now opens the door for a 2 loss Alabama team to sneak into the playoffs. Still a long shot but if USC loses to ND it is a real possibility. 

I think 1-loss Ohio State gets in before 'Bama.   But I think TCU and USC are going to block them

1 - Georgia

2 - Michigan

3 - TCU

4 - USC

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It was an ironic win though. OSU was able to sell out and stop the run when they choose to so it was JJ's passing that broke the game into M's favor. It was pretty much after M got the lead and forced OSU to overplay that it opened up the big runs for Edwards. I'll give Harbaugh credit for not being stubborn - when he had to go pass he went pass and stuck with it even after JJ missed a few early.

Also have to credit the officiating crew. The OSU corners were not playing the ball and those were good PI calls but it's all too easy to imagine a universe where they were not  called.

Excellent points. The narrative will be that the UM line just enforced their will on OSU in the 2nd half and while that may be true to some extent I'd give more credit to the fact that OSU forced JJ to beat them, once he showed he could suddenly they couldn't be so aggressive on defense which helped open up the run game.

And yeah even though those calls should have been called you are right that they weren't THAT egregious where if they weren't thrown the refs would've been crucified for. They could've easily not thrown them and just said that the balls weren't catchable or something but they had the guts to throw the flags in a hostile environment.