THE GAME #118: #3 Michigan Wolverines (11-0) @ #2 Ohio State Buckeyes (11-0)

MichiganCardinal

they did this without their best player too.

we all postulated before the game that michigan had been holding back the playbook all season long and it sure looks like it.  jj ran the ball a ton.  he threw the ball a ton.  they even brought out a trick play.

they had a two game season and they won both games.  kudos.

now finish with a win over purdue (most likely).

1 minute ago, buddha said:

tater, you owe jim harbaugh and jj mccarthy an apology.  lol.

I was never hyper critical of JJ, so nothing to say there. But yeah, for the disaster and debauchery that were Harbaugh's first 5 years against Ohio, he's clearly turned things around and had this program turn a corner. Jim Harbaugh went from a guy who looked like he was incapable of winning big games to the guy we all hoped he'd be when he was hired. He's had his team's ready to go in the biggest game of the year two seasons in a row now. He and his coaching staff have done a magnificent job and it has gotten them into the College Football Playoffs as a result of great recruiting, coaching, and making the necessary adjustments throughout the season and game.

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I was never hyper critical of JJ, so nothing to say there. But yeah, for the disaster and debauchery that were Harbaugh's first 5 years against Ohio, he's clearly turned things around and had this program turn a corner. Jim Harbaugh went from a guy who looked like he was incapable of winning big games to the guy we all hoped he'd be when he was hired. He's had his team's ready to go in the biggest game of the year two seasons in a row now. He and his coaching staff have done a magnificent job and it has gotten them into the College Football Playoffs as a result of great recruiting, coaching, and making the necessary adjustments throughout the season and game.

The lesson learned was that the cream-puffs on the schedule do not make you stronger.  You must have things prepared for the gorillas.  So, gone was the all-or-nothing Don Brown defense which worked if you were playing the Little Sisters of the Poor and got you some incredible results but would be exposed by NFL caliber QBs and WRs.  

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

you said jj sucked and was terrible like three times in this thread, lol.

tater lets those emotions flow on the game thread!

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

tater, you owe jim harbaugh and jj mccarthy an apology.  lol.

I'll give the naysayers a free pass on JJ since he never proved anything but I'll never get over the Harbaugh hate, he's one of the best 5 football coaches in the world and has proved it over and over again yet because he lost a few times with vastly inferior players suddenly people didn't think he was a good coach.  Never understood it. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Of course to me it's stil an open question whether M is that much better or if OSU is just coming back to the pack. We'll see how they do in the playoff assuming no disaster next Saturday. 

One big difference is that the last two years he has finally had a QB. For all his limitations, McNamara was still head and shoulders above what Harbaugh had been sending out there in the way of transfer pick-ups, and JJ is now a step up from McNamara. A competent QB makes everything work better.

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'll give the naysayers a free pass on JJ since he never proved anything but I'll never get over the Harbaugh hate, he's one of the best 5 football coaches in the world and has proved it over and over again yet because he lost a few times with vastly inferior players suddenly people didn't think he was a good coach.  Never understood it. 

I'm not going to rehash the anti Harbaugh argument much beyond this post, but the vastly inferior players he had are on him as the coach who recruits these guys. It's one thing if you need 2 years to reconstruct your roster, but we were 6 years into Harbaugh's tenure and he was 0-2 against Mel Tucker and 0-5 against Ohio. He had gotten blown out in the last two meetings prior to last year's win. He had a losing season mixed in as well, Covid or no Covid.

Harbaugh has clearly proven his critics like me wrong. I wanted Harbaugh to succeed when he first came in, he was the guy I wanted as Head Coach after the Brady Hoke debacle ended. I was elated when Harbaugh was hired. After he went 0-4 against Ohio and got blown out the first time, I did want him to get the John Cooper treatment. I again wanted him fired after he guy blown out a second time against Ohio. I also wanted him fired after the collapse in East Lansing against MSU.

Harbaugh took the lumps from his critics, recognized what needed to change and turned it around. That's a remarkable coaching effort to flip the tables the way he has. Especially doing so with the different QBs and Coaches he's had to do it with. Hats off to Jim Harbaugh and his entire staff for the job they've done turning Michigan into the team we all wanted them to be when he was hired 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm not going to rehash the anti Harbaugh argument much beyond this post, but the vastly inferior players he had are on him as the coach who recruits these guys. It's one thing if you need 2 years to reconstruct your roster, but we were 6 years into Harbaugh's tenure and he was 0-2 against Mel Tucker and 0-5 against Ohio. He had gotten blown out in the last two meetings prior to last year's win. He had a losing season mixed in as well, Covid or no Covid.

Harbaugh has clearly proven his critics like me wrong. I wanted Harbaugh to succeed when he first came in, he was the guy I wanted as Head Coach after the Brady Hoke debacle ended. I was elated when Harbaugh was hired. After he went 0-4 against Ohio and got blown out the first time, I did want him to get the John Cooper treatment. I again wanted him fired after he guy blown out a second time against Ohio. I also wanted him fired after the collapse in East Lansing against MSU.

Harbaugh took the lumps from his critics, recognized what needed to change and turned it around. That's a remarkable coaching effort to flip the tables the way he has. Especially doing so with the different QBs and Coaches he's had to do it with. Hats off to Jim Harbaugh and his entire staff for the job they've done turning Michigan into the team we all wanted them to be when he was hired 

If this was his first ever coaching job I could understand questioning him losing big games but you don't go to the Rose Bowl with Stanford, go the multiple NFC Championship games and the Super Bowl if you always lose any game of significance. That's what I never got from haters, he took us to 2 OTs in Columbus his 2nd year where if the spot went different we would've won, he had us beating a then top 10 MSU team where if we didn't blow a punt we would've won if those fluke plays didn't happen and we won does that suddenly mean he's a better football coach? Going by the haters logic of him not winning "big games" it did.  

Edited by RandyMarsh