THE GAME #118: #3 Michigan Wolverines (11-0) @ #2 Ohio State Buckeyes (11-0)

MichiganCardinal

52 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think Harbaugh could win ten straight games against OSU, and follow those up with ten straight losses in the CFP semis, and this town would still be elated as all get-up.

This feels so damn good!!!

YES..............YES, BY GOD, IT DOES !    I listened to their sports station for 2 hours, frequently laughing.   I fed on their pain.  I didn't savor it,  I gulped it down like a thirsty man in the desert and it tasted so fucking good.   I want more next year.  I want to FEED ON THEIR VERY SOULS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan Day brought in Knowles because they got manhandled last year.  Knowles was basically Don Brown.  Dr. Blitz.  He had absolutely no answer.  He was brought in to do 1 thing.  He did it.  He stopped the run, but when we torched him thru the air & he tried to adjust - We hung 200+ on him on the ground.  That's what made this so delicious.  

14 minutes ago, djhutch said:

Ryan Day brought in Knowles because they got manhandled last year.  Knowles was basically Don Brown.  Dr. Blitz.  He had absolutely no answer.  He was brought in to do 1 thing.  He did it.  He stopped the run, but when we torched him thru the air & he tried to adjust - We hung 200+ on him on the ground.  That's what made this so delicious.  

You nailed it!  BTW, Don Brown's name was trending all night on Elon's toy.

In college it's hard to seperate failures in scheme vs recruiting. People have been talking about OSU's  secondary being down almost since Odukah went to the NFL. It's maybe a little odd - you might expect a team to be able to defend what they do well on offense because they have to go against those guys in practice, but the OSU secondary made a lot  of mistakes and their technique was poor when they were where they were supposed to be. But there isn't much in the way of great passing teams in the B1G to exploit that weakness.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

In college it's hard to seperate failures in scheme vs recruiting. People have been talking about OSU's  secondary being down almost since Odukah went to the NFL. It's maybe a little odd - you might expect a team to be able to defend what they do well on offense because they have to go against those guys in practice, but the OSU secondary made a lot  of mistakes and their technique was poor when they were where they were supposed to be. But there isn't much in the way of great passing teams in the B1G to exploit that weakness.

There just doesn't seem to be much progression and growth from OSU's players since Meyer left. Yeah they'll still churn out NFL players because they were 5* recruits to begin with but I don't see the players getting any better year to year.  They almost remind me of the Michigan teams of the 2010s, while we never had as much talent as OSU has, we did get our fair share of really good recruits but they never seemed to get any better than when they arrived which how teams like MSU would beat us despite getting less talent.   

So I was thinking when I heard the news we were playing Purdue "it feels like we haven't played them in awhile?" so I googled it and we haven't played them since 2017 and before that it was October of 2012, so next week will be the first time we played them in 5 years and only the second time in the last 10. I know they play in a different division than us but that seems kinda strange. 

under harbaugh michigan has done a really good job of developing players.

lets take a minute to acknowledge how well michigan's secondary played yesterday.  we were all worries about how osu would tear us up without a great pass rush like last year.  well, that pass rush really didnt materialize but the secondary held osu's receivers in check for most of the game, including harrison, who might be the best receiver in college football.

i think this year's defense did a better job than last year's defense.

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

under harbaugh michigan has done a really good job of developing players.

lets take a minute to acknowledge how well michigan's secondary played yesterday.  we were all worries about how osu would tear us up without a great pass rush like last year.  well, that pass rush really didnt materialize but the secondary held osu's receivers in check for most of the game, including harrison, who might be the best receiver in college football.

i think this year's defense did a better job than last year's defense.

I agree, I see people shitting on Stroud and yeah he did miss some throws but for the most part every completion he made there was a wolverine defender right on the receiver, perhaps there were guys running free that he missed that weren't shown on camera but as far as I can recall I don't remember seeing any guys wide open. 

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Thats a bit skewed, as Michigan chickened out in 2020 (come on, I am a fan, but they did).   

I took great joy in the 3rd quarter yesterday making the comment to some Ohio State friends “you know, I’m just really glad everyone played it safe during 2020 and held off on playing this game. I would have loved to play it but it just wasn’t safe!”

image.jpeg.f48f115554429bfc50969ebdb8baa715.jpeg

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I still can't believe this is the first time they won in Columbus since 2000 which was my freshmen year in college, was 18 then and took till I was 40 for us to win there again. Just insane. 

I know.  When the Lions won the title I was  -7 and now I'm almost 58 and they still haven't.   Also insane.