Week Fourteen: Minnesota Vikings (10-2) @ Detroit Lions (5-7)

MichiganCardinal

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The official form will have a write in section. 

Great! I'll gladly write in my apology vote. At his point, with Goff looking the way he is, I feel confident that we can pass on Young, Stroud, Levis, whoever in the 1st. Maybe he comes back to Earth next season, maybe he doesn't. But if you have a good thing going, no need to change it up at this point.

i would be ok with them taking a qb in this draft, jared goff's current hot streak notwithstanding.  you'll never have a better chance than this year.  if they dont feel confident in levis or stroud, then pass.  but if they think levis can become an allen type qb, you should take him with the rams pick.

this is a big couple of weeks for goff.  the jets game is against a really good defense, outdoors in the cold and wind in new jersey.  let's see if he can get 300 passing yards against a solid secondary in the elements, or if we get the new england game 2.0.  lets hope williams is out.  then carolina with a good pass rush before a respite against the bears and the pack in the dead of winter.

its going to be a test for jared and the lions.  hopefully he'll pass.

• Like 1

you either trust brad holmes or you dont.  if they think levis or stroud (i assume young goes to the texans at 1 but you never know) could develop into an nfl game changing qb then you draft him.  if you dont, then you probably dont.

at some point they probably need to take a qb.  doesnt have to be this year, but i assumed that was their plan all along.

but plans change, perhaps their plans have changed?  we'll see.

• Like 2

Lions currently have a top 5 offense with a QB who is currently top 10 but lets get a new QB like Josh Allen. The Bills average 0.4 more points per game than the Lions and only 15 more passing yards per game than the Lions. They have 4 more passing TDs than the Lions but also 4 more INTs. The difference between the Lions and Bills is that the Lions defense gives up 11 more points per game than the Bills but the Lions need a QB.

On a side note, the Cardinals now have the worst scoring defense in the league. The Lions defense is no longer historically bad and they went 4-1.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

you either trust brad holmes or you dont.  if they think levis or stroud (i assume young goes to the texans at 1 but you never know) could develop into an nfl game changing qb then you draft him.  if you dont, then you probably dont.

at some point they probably need to take a qb.  doesnt have to be this year, but i assumed that was their plan all along.

This is basically where I stand. I'm perfectly happy with Goff under the current schemes. I saw recently where when the had their first meeting Campbell told Goff to stop trying to be Mr Perfect and be Jeff Goff. I thing that may be the reasoning behind the transformation from last year. 

I'm also not a big fan of drafting a QB and expecting him to immediately. Give him a season or so to get acclimated. Starting immediately has worked for college QBs, but its still a steep learning curve unless almost all the pieces are in place.

22 minutes ago, buddha said:

I'm here 100%.  I trust Holmes to make the decision.  If Stroud or Levis is the guy, they have the ability to sit for a year and step in in 2024 and free up a bunch of cap space.  (It also would give us a higher upside backup in 2023 in case Goff went down.)  If Holmes doesn't believe in them, then load up the defense.  Either way, Holmes has earned my trust so far.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Lions currently have a top 5 offense with a QB who is currently top 10 but lets get a new QB like Josh Allen. The Bills average 0.4 more points per game than the Lions and only 15 more passing yards per game than the Lions. They have 4 more passing TDs than the Lions but also 4 more INTs. The difference between the Lions and Bills is that the Lions defense gives up 11 more points per game than the Bills but the Lions need a QB.

On a side note, the Cardinals now have the worst scoring defense in the league. The Lions defense is no longer historically bad and they went 4-1.

josh allen is much more of a difference maker at qb than jared goff.  the lions should always be looking for upgrades in talent at every position, including qb.

if they think there is a future difference maker at qb, then draft him.  if not, stay with steady eddie jared goff.

i still dont believe goff is really anything more than a game manager, but that's ok.  those guys are valuable too.