Week Fourteen: Minnesota Vikings (10-2) @ Detroit Lions (5-7)

MichiganCardinal

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Was just thinking about this, not that its a huge deal to most folks but the folks that do care about prime time games I bet next year we are going to be a hot choice for quite a few National games.

It seems like we are generating a lot of buzz nationally and even the folks that aren't Lions fan seem to enjoy watching them and rooting for them.

Definitely going to get a Monday Night game. I would even say as of right now the Lions would be favorites for the division so the Lions will get some prime time games. Plus the league owes them one for letting Buffalo use Ford Field. One Moday Night game should be at home. 

21 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Goff absolutely deserves credit for how he’s played recently.   It’s been damn impressive.

I think the biggest reason for his success comes from how well our offensive line has been playing and Ben Johnson’s game plans and play calls are are dominating opposing DC’s.    Goff has a ton of time and there always seems to be an open target somewhere.    This plays right into his strengths and helps to make up for his lack of mobility.      

This run gives me hope that they can build a playoff winning team without a marquee QB and choose to address the defense now and worry about future QB sometime down the road.  

Nice spot to be in.  

Hopefully Goff can play this well with a new OC. The Free Press this morning said yesterday's game guarantees Johnson will be getting a HC job. The Lions should give him a huge raise to stay. I'm sure he would be even hotter coming off of a Super Bowl win...😁😁

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Definitely going to get a Monday Night game. I would even say as of right now the Lions would be favorites for the division so the Lions will get some prime time games. Plus the league owes them one for letting Buffalo use Ford Field. One Moday Night game should be at home. 

Maybe week 17 will be flexed if we have a shot at the playoffs? In Green Bay.

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Hopefully Goff can play this well with a new OC. The Free Press this morning said yesterday's game guarantees Johnson will be getting a HC job. The Lions should give him a huge raise to stay. I'm sure he would be even hotter coming off of a Super Bowl win...😁😁

I think he’s definitely going to get that shot.  It’s too bad for us that he’s white.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Maybe week 17 will be flexed if we have a shot at the playoffs? In Green Bay.

There could be some better options. The NFC South is terrible so it could come down to Tampa and Atlanta playing that week. You have Baltimore and Cincinnati which could be for the AFC North. Jets at Dolphins could also be a win or go home game. Giants could be in a win or go home against Philadelphia. Same with Washington vs Dallas. Lot of options. 

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Was it after his catch?  What that what you were talking about?  (see the twitter video here about half way down the page: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/what-theyre-saying-lions-beat-vikings)

If that's what you're talking about I think was Sewell just reacting and trying to get the Viking defender away from him who was trying to knock out the ball.

No, I just rewatched it and Sewell definitely took a swing at a Vikings player who was trying to knock the ball loose. I've seen that called as an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty before. He got lucky.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Was it after his catch?  What that what you were talking about?  (see the twitter video here about half way down the page: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/what-theyre-saying-lions-beat-vikings)

If that's what you're talking about I think was Sewell just reacting and trying to get the Viking defender away from him who was trying to knock out the ball.

49 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Was just thinking about this, not that its a huge deal to most folks but the folks that do care about prime time games I bet next year we are going to be a hot choice for quite a few National games.

It seems like we are generating a lot of buzz nationally and even the folks that aren't Lions fan seem to enjoy watching them and rooting for them.

Yeah, and that'll be a bummer in my humble opinion.  I like my 1:00 Sunday afternoon games.  I'm okay with 4:30 games... just hate the night stuff cause then I gotta stay up late and if they lose I go to bed angry and frustrated.  If they win I go to bed jacked up (I said up, not off!) and excited.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There could be some better options. The NFC South is terrible so it could come down to Tampa and Atlanta playing that week. You have Baltimore and Cincinnati which could be for the AFC North. Jets at Dolphins could also be a win or go home game. Giants could be in a win or go home against Philadelphia. Same with Washington vs Dallas. Lot of options. 

TBH, I would rather we don't play a night game in Green Bay in January. 20⁰ below zero? No thanks.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

No, I just rewatched it and Sewell definitely took a swing at a Vikings player who was trying to knock the ball loose. I've seen that called as an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty before. He got lucky.

Imho he was trying to swat the defender away as the defender tried to knock the ball loose.  I don't think he was trying to "punch" the defender.  The open hand seem to me to confirm that. image.png.b073e650ee60a1c6fc1ab42128c86b81.png

I think it's also telling that the ref is right there and didn't throw a flag.  I think that's because he saw the defender grabbing at the ball and just figured Sewell was reacting to that.

That said, this is just my opinion and I agree that it could have very easily been seen differently by an official and flagged.  We've all seen it a million times where the first guy does something and the second guy reacts and the second guy gets the flag.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

Imho he was trying to swat the defender away as the defender tried to knock the ball loose.  I don't think he was trying to "punch" the defender.  The open hand seem to me to confirm that. image.png.b073e650ee60a1c6fc1ab42128c86b81.png

I think it's also telling that the ref is right there and didn't throw a flag.  I think that's because he saw the defender grabbing at the ball and just figured Sewell was reacting to that.

That said, this is just my opinion and I agree that it could have very easily been seen differently by an official and flagged.  We've all seen it a million times where the first guy does something and the second guy reacts and the second guy gets the flag.

Exactly. Never give the refs a reason to make a bad call. They will. And anytime an arm gets swung, it's called more often than not. Sewell is a young kid and his emotions took over. If you give them any reason to call something, they just might.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

AG has paid his dues and this turnaround will get him a shot this year.  I think he’d be amazing in Houston.    

Ben needs more time but he fits the trend of hot young offensive guru that has been the current meta.  

I think both get interviews but neither gets a job. It’s hard to get hired in this league.

It would certainly be a loss if either or both go but Im confident in Campbell and the rest of the staff that they wouldve picked up on the things that they did that worked and will also find competent replacement whether that's from within or elsewhere..

We're not used to it here but the great franchises and Head Coaches churn throught assistants all the time due to their success yet they rarely skip a beat, I think or atleast hope that will be the case with us. 

Edited by RandyMarsh