What makes Justyn-Henry Malloy a Worthy Asset?

Useful Idiot

So, the winter meetings have come and gone, and the one thing our wonderkind managed to pull off was to dump a floundering major league pitcher, claimed by some to at last be sorting himself out, for two nobodies. BUT UNDER THE COVER STORY that we were "reshaping our offensive identity".  What is that supposed to mean? Is that Harrisspeak for "one of the players was not a pitcher"?

What are Malloy's accomplishments that might make him worthy of the role of defining an offensive identity?  Career .285 average with 22 HR over 2 seasons, only one of which was above AA level  (shudder)  Is there some super secret advanced metric that only the propellerheads are capable of fully appreciating? 😇

Or is it more likely a priority of being young and dumb, with a full compliment of options? (winner winner)

Perhaps most depressing to have come out of the non-progress attained at the meetings, is the new mantra that "a new culture" is in the making (woo hoo).  I think we all can appreciate what that means.  Budget is king and anybody not fine with that is out.

Painful to contemplate that the Avila era might one day be looked back upon as "the good old days"...lmao!

Harris.gif

Edited by Useful Idiot

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

What makes Justyn-Henry Malloy a Worthy Asset?

Ask your mom.  

That's what I love about this place, no matter however immature I might feel, there is always someone here willing to out do me. 

Seriously, his only deal was flubber. Is this "New Culture  gonna play out like "the king and his clothes" fairy tale? Where you are either on-board, or you are out? AJ has gotta be weighing his options.

Edited by Useful Idiot

Don't get me wrong...I'm delighted to see Jiminez gone, used to make me sick hearing the game announcers "talk up" his supposed recent progress.   But I just don't see the return we got as at all worthwhile, and billing it as reshaping our offensive identity is frankly...offensive...   aka double speak

They didn't reshsape their offensive identity.  They got one guy who has on base skills which is something they have lacked for years.  It's a start.  I am hoping they bring in more players like that and that one or two of them will come through at the major league level.  I am tired of hackers like Reyes and the Castros who have no potential to ever get on base at a good rate because they can't draw walks.  

• Like 1

Perhaps they are just pumping sunshine  at Jason Beck, but he identified the acquisition of Malloy as a component in the imperative to reshape our offense.  Which is desperately needed, I just don't see this acquisition of Malloy as in any way being marquee worthy.

Which, since you know everything, why do you suppose Harris' first winter meetings were not more productive? Clearly the eyes and aspirations were upon him,   do you think he just didn't believe that any of the talent available was worthwhile?  Alternatively perhaps he was on a short Leash?  Other?  Pretty dismal result.  I would have thought the pocketbooks would have cut him enough slack to make at least one trophy acquisition?  No one could deny that he had payroll flexibility on his side.  

All he's really accomplished   so far is to hack away at underperforming players remaining from a failed team  built on a budget,  and from all appearances is about to embark upon replacing them with (**Cough-cough**) "high potential upside" replacements of his own choosing.  How realistic is it to keep repeating the same mistakes but expecting different results? 5 years from now when we are going through this same process, remember where you heard it from,.... first

31 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Perhaps they are just pumping sunshine  at Jason Beck, but he identified the acquisition of Malloy as a component in the imperative to reshape our offense.  Which is desperately needed, I just don't see this acquisition of Malloy as in any way being marquee worthy.

Which, since you know everything, why do you suppose Harris' first winter meetings were not more productive? Clearly the eyes and aspirations were upon him,   do you think he just didn't believe that any of the talent available was worthwhile?  Alternatively perhaps he was on a short Leash?  Other?  Pretty dismal result.  I would have thought the pocketbooks would have cut him enough slack to make at least one trophy acquisition?  No one could deny that he had payroll flexibility on his side.  

All he's really accomplished   so far is to hack away at underperforming players remaining from a failed team  built on a budget,  and from all appearances is about to embark upon replacing them with (**Cough-cough**) "high potential upside" replacements of his own choosing.  How realistic is it to keep repeating the same mistakes but expecting different results? 5 years from now when we are going through this same process, remember where you heard it from,.... first

Revisit this post in March when the budget is actually committed and you see what it bought. At this point you're dumping on the shopper while he has just pulled into the mall parking lot. The critique may be justified by the eventual outcomes, but at this point it still just guesses about events that have yet to happen or not happen. 

If you are skeptical about Harris that's fine, but you could say that in one line and save the rest of the typing.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Joe Jiminez was the model of inconsistency.    He was never going to be at a higher value than he is right now and they were not going to re-sign him.   They have plenty of arms for the bullepn - it's starters they need to find, at least until next year. 

Malloy gets on base.   Don't know if that'll carry over to the majors, but look through the Tiger system, it's lacking on OBP guys.   He was the #6 prospect in the Braves system and he has outperformed expectations pretty quickly so far.   

Calling a guy the next Al Avila when he's halfway through his first offseason is a  bit of a reach.    We'll have to wait.   I love what he's done with the off-the-field part, mostly.      

I view Harris the same way I viewed Yzerman...he's going to make minor changes here and there until he knows what he has.  Focus on drafting "his" players and develop them.  Start adding significant FA when you're ready to compete.

Getting our injured starting pitching back and bringing arms like Madden, Jobe and Flores along could accelerate the process.

20 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you are skeptical about Harris that's fine, but you could say that in one line and save the rest of the typing.

But I find the "vent" therapeutic. spacer.png

Besides, one never knows. Being new to Detroit, Harris might have minions scanning local sports media for pointers.  If that turned out 2B the case, I want to give him all the help he might need.  I'm sure he'll find all the people willing to blow smoke,  on his payroll (that "new culture" schtick).   I on the other hand - offer true value

Edited by Useful Idiot

15 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Calling a guy the next Al Avila when he's halfway through his first offseason is a  bit of a reach.    We'll have to wait.   I love what he's done with the off-the-field part, mostly.      

And hey!!  We'll be getting some spiffy new lights, maybe they can start a new promotion, encourage the fans to wear sequined clothes to a game and engage them in a dynamic light show. They could even call it "Spark in the Park" .   Who cares about run differential when you have glitter?   "Wins" are really such an antiquated statistic.

Edited by Useful Idiot

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

How about (in an 84Lives!!! voice):

"I want some ATTENTION!!!"

Having felt "strung along"  over these past 5 years being fed a steady diet of spin about sacrificing today for a better future, I'm not at all on board with this stall tactic, "plant a seed (Harris) , and watch it grow".  If  he didn't have such a "deer in the headlights" demeanor, or had at least showed some spark of brilliance at the Winter meetings, I might think differently.  But, either he's restrained, or simply coasting, and I don't have patience for either.

Clearing out the old cobwebs and replacing them with never has beens is no progress.  Don't let them fool ya

15 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Disappointed to see any responses in this thread. 

You think you're disappointed now, wait until they rinse, lather and repeat the process again 5 years from now.  Why give the fans victory at considerable cost, when we can be strung along on "hope" for a fraction of the cost?