What makes Justyn-Henry Malloy a Worthy Asset?

Useful Idiot

19 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Another thing is, free agent salaries have been out of control this year.  Maybe that helps the Tigers make trades with teams that get left out.  No sense making moves early for the sake of making moves.  

Salaries are unlikely to reverse IMO. Better to sign up now before inflation  can REALLY  take it's toll?

I realize my harsh frankness is likely to cost me my spot at the Ilitch dinner table next Thanksgiving, but for those of you still going....don't let the handshakes and the smiling fool you, take my advice I'm only trying to school you.

Smiling faces.......

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If you were the GM, they would still have Reyes and you'd be thinking he was a good starting outfielder.  

I'm being sincere now...you only think that because you don't really know me.  I NEVER thought Reyes was great, I just had hopes he would unlock better potential SINCE I FELT WE WERE BEING HELD MONETARY CAPTIVE by an owner obsessed with thrift.

IF I WAS GM,  I would have gotten myself fired for continually telling little itch that he's gotta spend some money if he expects to play with the big boys.

And, given money, I definitely would have found a better right fielder than Reyes.

WOULDN'T it be funny if the actual cause a Avila's departure was that he finally found the resolve to ask for a robust payroll, and little Itch fired him because he believes that a "smart" GM can win cheaply?  (rotsa ruck Scotty)

Edited by Useful Idiot

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

Reyes did live up to his potential as a decent back-up outfielder on a losing team.  Holding onto him thinking he could do more would have been a mistake.  

2022 was a let down, in terms of my belief in Reyes.  I felt the footsteps to the gallows for him about half way after the AS break.    BUT I STILL BELIEVE that a competent Pres/GM would have obtained an improved replacement before cutting Reyes lose.

THAT HARRIS cut all those guys loose without a clear path forward just SCREAMS AT ME that his intention is to replace them with cheap guys even worse than the guys they replaced

THAT IS WHAT I AM UNHAPPY ABOUT...they are still playing the "  Let's Schidt on the fans, they don't know no better" game, and I'm sick of it

Believe it or not, I actually share your skepticism that Ilitch will ever spend and that Harris is a genius who is going to turn everything around. However, Harris does seem like a smart guy who has hired some good people and I think he deserves a more of a chance than just two weeks.  

Reyes and the Castros were place holders with near zero value on a good team.  There is no need to find a replacement before dropping them.    

Edited by Tiger337

Players like Reyes and the Castros allowed us to stop fielding players like Ronny Rodriguez, Christian Stewart, and Brandon Dixon.   SO I SAW THEM AS PROGRESS.

That was my fascination with Reyes.  But I guess you found it more gratifying to cast me as some pathetic fan boy, the way all you guys here tend upon insulting anyone who won't allow you to put a ring in their nose.

SO, you too reaps what ye sews.

Edited by Useful Idiot

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

That is some low expectations!

In software development there is a process known as "stepwise refinement" and I saw the 3 as better than their predecessors, so was happy with the progress because I felt that payroll limitations would prevent better alternatives.

Another computer term "garbage in, garbage out" pretty well sums up the direction I believe we are headed

18 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

In software development there is a process known as "stepwise refinement"

This is correct - and to follow the logic, if a team can make enough incremental moves that are all in the forward direction they can certainly get pretty good without making any individually splashy moves, but it's a lot more work to do it that way. Like most things, money and effort are always somewhat interchangeable in the results obtained.

Do the Tigers now have that kind of high energy high productivity management? Beats me, but I'm pretty sure that is the approach they think - or hope - they can get better with.

Edited by gehringer_2

18 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I understand why some fans would want the Tigers to spend big money on free agents.  However, the angst over the loss of Reyes and the Castros is mystifying.  

Being the fountain of sage advice you always present yourself as, I find it hard to believe you would be truly "mystified" by anything? What few acquisitions he has made seem more geared towards fulfilling our obligation of fielding a team capable of playing a 162 game schedule, than winning in the process.  Seeing the winter meetings come and go with a virtual goose egg, and now seeing the last remaining desirables go to other teams just confirms that "winning" is not a priority.

So, it's really more a matter of the expectation that the players eventually assigned to replace Candy, the Castros, and Reyes, their one unifying virtue is likely to be that they have not failed YET....that "young and dumb" thing.

Or "high potential up side"   the terminally optimistic  might call it....

Watching another .400 season, but with the added excitement that more of the players now carry options, ....just doesn't stoke my fandom the way wins does,,...I guess I'm old fashioned

Edited by Useful Idiot

The Ilitch is cheap narrative is lazy and inaccurate.  Sitting out this reckless free agency is smart. Did we not learn anything from the Miggy contract?

Makes me a bit pissed, though, that Avila didn’t read it better the last few years when teams were being much more conservative with their spending.  Harris walked into a tough first offseason where teams are spending like drunken sailors.

Edited by Tenacious D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Useful Idiot said:

So, it's really more a matter of the expectation that the players eventually assigned to replace Candy, the Castros, and Reyes, their one unifying virtue is likely to be that they have not failed YET....that "young and dumb" thing.

Jeimer is definitely more of a jump ball on the question of retaining or not, but Willi Castro and Victor Reyes have all had 1000 ABs in this league. Harold has had that many ABs and he's almost 30 years old.

I think we have seen enough to have a good idea of what kind of players they are in this league.

Edited by mtutiger

Heck, the best deal Victor could yield was a minor league deal with invitation to Spring Training with the Jerk Sox. That should say something about what the rest of the league thinks about him, let alone the Tigers.

I dont know what the new regime will do the rest of the offseason, but I am unclear why I should be losing sleep over (worst case scenrio) Kerry Carpenter, Akil Baddoo or even Bligh Madris will be taking Vic's ABs

Edited by mtutiger

55 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Jeimer is definitely more of a jump ball on the question of retaining or not, but Willi Castro and Victor Reyes have all had 1000 ABs in this league. Harold has had that many ABs and he's almost 30 years old.

I think we have seen enough to have a good idea of what kind of players they are in this league.

I was all for letting Candy go and fully support Harris decision but it is fair to say that he may have under estimated the robustness of this market and might not be so sure today as he was then. 

Again I ask, why is keeping Jeimer a non-starter at $7 million, but perfect at half that? Either way we get the same production from him. If someone thinks Jeimer sucks, then fine, cut him. But he delivers the same number of wins for a team at $7 million, $5 million, $3 million, or the minimum. The currency of the fan is not the salary. It’s the production.

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Again I ask, why is keeping Jeimer a non-starter at $7 million, but perfect at half that? Either way we get the same production from him. If someone thinks Jeimer sucks, then fine, cut him. But he delivers the same number of wins for a team at $7 million, $5 million, $3 million, or the minimum. The currency of the fan is not the salary. It’s the production.

I’m good with him leaving, regardless of his salary.  You bring him back, and you basically have the same lineup as last year, except for C.  I would have preferred that Schoop followed him out the door, too.  

8 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m good with him leaving, regardless of his salary.  You bring him back, and you basically have the same lineup as last year, except for C.  I would have preferred that Schoop followed him out the door, too.  

And a couple of corner outfielders, a 1st baseman, and a DH with power? Then we may not lose 100 games during this "new" rebuild.

18 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

And that's fine, I respect that. I don't agree with the position, but if you think Jeimer's bad and should leave in any case, great.