What makes Justyn-Henry Malloy a Worthy Asset?

Useful Idiot

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Good thing Opening Day isn't 21 Dec. People are used to Avila signing somebody to fill the hole early in the offseason, wiping his hands and declaring mission accomplished.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Correct. And the history drives the point that moving fast hasn't necessarily yielded positive results.

It's funny: we all ended the Avila era wanting to run him out on a rail, and yet we're still really conditioned to expect them to do the things that he would have done and get anxious when things develop differently under the new regime.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

But that was not Avila so it doesn't bear on whether *his* impatience contributed to him being  or was a reflection of him being a poor dealer.

He also made a deal in march that didnt do much to save his job last season...  he was just a bad GM

Edited by Toddwert

6 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

I love how Tampa built their team. It has lasted a while.

I love their ruthlessness in roster management, too. I can also see why their fans might get frustrated if they can’t feel like they can fall in love with any of the players because they’ll just be gone practically tomorrow.

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

I love their ruthlessness in roster management, too. I can also see why their fans might get frustrated if they can’t feel like they can fall in love with any of the players because they’ll just be gone practically tomorrow.

Not true, they keep most players until free agency. They signed Franco to an 11 year deal.

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

Not true, they keep most players until free agency. They signed Franco to an 11 year deal.

Is true. They don't keep most players until free agency. Franco won't last anywhere near 11 years in Tampa. Longoria signed for ten years with them after the 2012 season. He lasted five there.

Edited by chasfh

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, I like a lot of the things they do in principle, but they would not be an easy team to love.  I don't hope for the Tigers end up like them...although it sure beats what the Tigers have been doing the last several years!

On 12/20/2022 at 2:28 PM, mtutiger said:

It's funny: we all ended the Avila era wanting to run him out on a rail, and yet we're still really conditioned to expect them to do the things that he would have done 

I don't believe it's so much a matter of crediting Avila with setting a pattern worth emulating.  It's more a matter of seeing all the worthy talent go to other destinations, and realizing  that leaves us to pick through the "undervalued"  bargain bin,  stringing our entire hopes upon bounceback performances.

Did you see that Jason Beck is now touting a possible return of Josh Harrison? Cripes! Might as well sign Billy Hamilton too.

On 12/18/2022 at 12:20 PM, Tenacious D said:

The Ilitch is cheap narrative is lazy and inaccurate.  Sitting out this reckless free agency is smart.

He's dumping arb level players over a few measly million dollars, and replacing them with players who's main qualifications are that they might bounce back.

That's the definition of "cheap".

16 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

I don't believe it's so much a matter of crediting Avila with setting a pattern worth emulating.  It's more a matter of seeing all the worthy talent go to other destinations, and realizing  that leaves us to pick through the "undervalued"  bargain bin,  stringing our entire hopes upon bounceback performances.

Ok, I'll bite. 

This team won 66 games last year. This team isn't gonna Brandon Drury and Wil Myers their way to 80+ wins, bounceback performances on the existing roster or, in the case of Tork, Greene and other less established players advanced performances, are a necessary condition to getting there.

Sorry if we aren't getting the dopamine rush of Jon Heyman and Jeff Passan mentioning the Tigers in rumors (or rather laundering player agent talking points), that is just reality.

16 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Did you see that Jason Beck is now touting a possible return of Josh Harrison? Cripes! Might as well sign Billy Hamilton too.

Billy Hamilton signed with the White Sox already. Probably Vic Reyes' competition for a roster spot lol

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

All this angst over Reyes and the Castros?  You gotta raise your bar.  Take some chances in life!  

I don't believe that leveraging our future with "bounceback" candidates is gonna be much of an improvement.

Have I somehow missed all the buzz celebrating how Harris won the off season?

Edited by Useful Idiot

12 hours ago, mtutiger said:

This team won 66 games last year. This team isn't gonna Brandon Drury and Wil Myers their way to 80+ wins, bounceback performances on the existing roster or, in the case of Tork, Greene and other less established players advanced performances, are a necessary condition to getting there

this is right. The only way 2023 is in any way successful is if the 2022 team was a bunch of guys who were a lot better than they showed because they all had a bunch of bad luck that isn't going to be repeated in addition to a sprinkling of prospects not quite ready for the majors then who will be this season.. These things are either true or they are not If not, we're are looking at another long multi-year road back. We can make any kind of story or speculation around it we like, but that is the bottom line for the organization. 

3 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

I don't believe that leveraging our future with "bounceback" candidates is gonna be much of an improvement.

Which bounceback candidates are you specifically talking about?

Because... I expect bouncebacks by:

Jake Rogers

Spencer Torkelson

Riley Greene (2nd year)

Austin Meadows

Akil Baddoo

Javier Baez

Spencer Turnbull

Eduardo Rodriguez

Matt Manning

Tarik Skubal

Alex Faedo

Reese Olson

Beau Brieske

Alex Lange

Casey Mize

... To EXACTLY be the source of improvement for the Tigers in 2023, 2024 and 2025. Oh, and new rookies breaking in like Justyn Henry-Malloy, Dillon Dingler, Parker Meadows, Wenceel Perez, Ty Madden, Colt Keith, etc.

Didn't you get the memo?